Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike 40 Building Questions

Old 11-11-2004, 10:50 AM
smokinghole42
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Shrike 40 Building Questions

I started work on my Shrike 40 last night, and already I have a few questions. The hatch doesn't seem to be attached at strongly as I'd think for the speeds and forces put on it. How have others secured the hatch, or is the plan's method ok? They have Nylon Tape that runs on the leading edge of the wing where it meets the fuselage, this seems really hard to do. How do you do this, are there any easier ways? I've heard that the battery placement is wierd, where will it go in the plane to ballance out with a magnum 46 XL. I think I'm going to put in the 2 aileron servo option, and I was thinking about having them as flaperons, any thoughts on this? I'll be sure to put up some pictures as the building goes on
Old 11-11-2004, 03:27 PM
vt325xi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Shrike 40 Building Questions

I'm on my second Shrike .10. I'm putting an OS .25 SX in the second one. I have a .15 LA in the other. The covers I made were really easy and came out great. There is a dowel in the front the puches forward into the top cover. Then I put a small metal hook screwed into a block of balsa about halfway down the cover. Then I wrapped a rubber band through one of the servo 1/4" square mounting stock and then hook the rubber band to my hook. It is located so that it always pushes forward and pulls down. I've gone as fast as I could with the little .15 LA and have not had any cover problems. And if I need instant access to the insides I can quicklt get to them. But really the only reason I look inside is to see how much fuel I used on a particular run. Otherwise I'd think you could use nylon wing bolts to hold it down.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought the hatch built as the plans stated was solid and more then adequate (two dowels in front and two screws in back). My Shrike 40 is still in good shape after well over 100 flights with a Jett 50. I did extend the hatch back a inch of so so the batt. could be put in the very rear compartment to balance with out adding lead weight.

Nylon tape on the leading edge of the wing??? Do you mean the the fiberglass cloth along the wing root?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I run separate aileron servos just cuz i felt like it but I would stay away from the flaperon idea. This plane lands like a brick. I run my elevator a full 90 degrees for landing. You need to come in very low. if you come in normal or a bit high, you may run our of elevator.

Also the receiver and battery need to go back as far as possible. Plane comes out nose heavy I run a TT46pro with a 9/7 apc and ultra thrust muffler. Get 17000 rpm and about 110mph. This is very good considering the altitude.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37761.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	192249  
Old 11-11-2004, 09:23 PM
robert92679

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've put two of the .40 size Shrikes together. The hatch works very well as designed. I agree with the two aileron servo option, but I never used them as flaperons. I usually flew it WOT until it was dead stick, then floated it right in. You'll probably want the battery as far back as it goes. Nothing weird about it. There is plenty of room in the fuselage.

As to the fiberglass tape along the wing roots: I applied it on both sides, top and bottom, with plenty of thin CA. It adds a lot of strength. Put one hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and apply the CA with the other. Use the hand in the sandwich bag to smooth the fiberglass tape down and get the wrinkles/air bubbles out. Just keep that hand moving and the baggie won't stick. If you look closely in the picture, you can just make out the seam under the purple covering near the wing root.

Enjoy the Shrike.

Robert
Revver's Brother #76
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28967.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	192263  
Old 11-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Strykaas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag
I run my elevator a full 90 degrees for landing.
Hi Snoop

How on earth can you put so much [X(] throw ? There is no point in having more than 45 degrees on any control surface... The control surface turns into an airbrake and starts to loose its efficiencey beyond 45 degrees...

Just my 2cts...