Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash video...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 04:12 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whiplash video...

Ok..as a "sneak preview" of the review we are doing on the Whiplash for the RC Universe Magazine I have shot some footage...this was done on my old analog camcorder so the video isn't as nice as the digital stuff on my new one but it ain't that bad either

This one is the Whiplash with the Spiderman airburshed onto it. It sports the OS 46fx up. It is quite fast and the biggest adrenalin pumping plane in my stable by far right now.

Enjoy

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...dmin/whiplash/
Old 08-21-2002, 12:42 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whiplash launch

Whats up with running and throwing the whiplash. It says to not do that. Is that what it takes to get it airborne? Is my nelson with a 7 inch prop going to be a nightmare to launch?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:43 AM
jlong34016

Default 46 fx

what prop and rpms are you turning on the ground?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:52 AM
mvigod
Banned

I had the motor running rich for the first couple flights to break it in...the running is to give me a margin of safety until motor is lean and at full power for launch...prop is 10x6 apc...it has already been launched with more of a "shove" than a run though but I didn't have a clip of that...I hope once at peak you can just hold it up and "let it go".
Old 08-21-2002, 11:14 AM
MMallory

The run isn't necessary to launch the plane. The trouble is finding someone who knows how to be calm. This plane stirs the emotions of the launcher as much as the pilot. After the trim flight, a gentle push is all taht is needed for the lower power engines. The more powerful engines will pull the plane right out of your hand. Search this site for DD video, the technique is the same.

Mark M.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:54 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Video

Mark,

I wish I could figure out a way to make that video available on this forum, I would certainly do so.

Did I send it to you Mark? If not let me know I'll email it to you.

RCadmin,

You've got my DD video don't you? Feel free to put it in your mag if you want.

Once I have my Whiplash flying I'll get some digital video of it using the same self-launch technique I use for my Diamond Dust.

Gene
Old 08-21-2002, 06:39 PM
mvigod
Banned

Gene,

Your DD launch video is awesome...I will look to see if I have it somewhere and I can post it...I have a digital video camera now so once I get the motor at peak we'll try the launch as you do with the DD. With the 46fx it should climb out just as the DD did in your video (which by the way was very cool)

marc
Old 08-21-2002, 07:35 PM
FlooredCOBRA

for the first time I had my wife launch my DD. At the time i have never flown nor had anyone launch my DD. But from what everyone had mentioned all you do is point it up about 40 degress with slight tilt to right and then let go. I told my wife to do just that and when i say "go" to let go. Well the plane came out of her hands flawlessly. Went straight up and flew like heck. I questioned the OS 46 FX I had on it if i could launch this way, well no problems at all. Now i launch it by myself, well when noone else is out there to doit for me. I just put my thumb between elevons power up and let go. And have plenty of time to get hands on radio.

The DD is a ball to fly!
Old 08-22-2002, 12:10 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default : )

There is always of course the "whiplash Launcher" for those that dont have a friend with nerves of steel or a very trusting wife..

In reality, with most engines especially the more powerful ones, the whiplash just wants to pull right out of your grasp..

Gene's technique is very good for the DD and the whiplash..

For the most part, point her into the wind at about a 20-30 degree angle depending on the wind, and give a slight push off, she'll come right out..

Some guys have said their whiplash has a left bank right after launch, this is possible with some planes depending on torque, setup, wind, toss etc.. you just have to learn your particular planes characteristics..

Once you do, it aint nuttin but fun..

Thanks Marc for the clips, its great
Old 08-22-2002, 02:37 AM
mvigod
Banned

Yihaa...flew it again today...what a blast...getting the nervous shakes from being at the sticks of a speed demon under control almost...2 or 3 more flights and I'll be completely flying the plane instead of it flying me A few more dozen and maybe even start thinking about the Jett 50!
Old 08-22-2002, 02:43 AM
Noflyzone

Default Yihaa!!!!

Marc,

When you get that Jett 50, Rick & I will send you a nice cushy piece of foam for between your knees. LOL...
Old 08-22-2002, 02:56 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Comfort zone

Marc

Pretty cool, huh? I was the same way. Even with the 46FX the first few flights with my Dust were pretty wild affairs. It took me a while to get used to it. I think by the time I had a couple dozen flights I started to get comfortable with the 46. I dropped the Jett 50 in somewhere around the 40 flight mark and things got real exciting again.

Everyone is different of course but I'm willing to bet you'll be ready for that 50 before you know it.

Should have my Whiplash ready to go before long. Am really looking forward to flying it. It's an impressive airplane! Hopefully I can get some decent digital video of it for you.

Have fun,

Gene