Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Whiplash - First flights!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash - First flights!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 09:55 PM
DLK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiplash - First flights!!

You want fast, get a WHIPLASH. First flight today. I have a Jett Fire 50 (rear pipe) on it and it is absolutlely the fastest plane I ever flew. The guys at the field were going behind there cars. Yes I was flying safe, away from pits. It flew perfect except for the launch. It a handfull with a pylon prop (APC9.5x7.5N). Doesn't grab enough air at the start. Also torques to left. Called Dan at AeroJet Composites and he gave me good info on launching. Bigger diameter prop for more bite. Might slow it down to 215 MPH instead of 225 MPH -OK!! BTW great customer service. If you want one, order in about 2-3 weeks. Dave
Old 08-21-2002, 12:39 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Default whiplash

225 mph? Radar gun or guess? If a 9.5 prop is not big enough im in for some real trouble. I plan on running a 7 inch prop. I just ordered a Nelson QM-40 with carb. Should turn 7x9 carbon fiber apc 23,000. Should i change to the pylon engine?
Old 08-21-2002, 01:46 AM
brucevandyke
My Feedback: (2)

Default Roll rate?

Approx. what is your roll rate? do you use duel rates? I use straight single rate and have about 2.5-3 rolls per second. Looks impressive but can be suicidal if you fly low. We just rat race back and forth out of spit S's. See who dares to fly the lowest. When your done it is hard to hold a cup of coffee, and you need it BAD. That is the best way to satisfy that need for speed. Have a GREAT DAY
Old 08-21-2002, 02:39 AM
BruceDana

How fast would you be going at 23,000 RPM with a 9" pitch prop? Geometric pitch at 100% efficiency is only 196 MPH. Effective pitch is less than geometric pitch, and efficiency is always less.

Are you using speed traps, radar guns (and how are those calibrated) to make such speed claims?
Old 08-21-2002, 03:27 AM
Noflyzone

Default Whiplash Speeds

Mr Dana is absolutely correct about speeds. The 23K rpm on the ground is just that 23K on the ground. A 9" pitch prop should unload to about 24,500-25K in the air on the Whiplash. This of course depends on the weight of the airframe. The heavier it is, the slower it will fly due to induced drag. This is the drag we all hate and can't get rid of; it's the drag the plane makes just trying to stay in the air...The Whiplash will easily go thru the 200mph barrier if you are turning 23K on the ground with a 9" pitch prop, so if you feel the need.....................Thanks guys for all the support for the Whiplash...
Old 08-21-2002, 05:33 AM
bugsiegel

Default 225

DLK the way i figure, to reach your speed of 225 with a 7.5 prop you need to be turning over 31000 rpm's
Old 08-21-2002, 11:51 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Well...

He did say he was running a Jett...
Old 08-21-2002, 12:12 PM
DLK

OK. This speed is a guess from post on here with this setup and a Jett Fire 50 with the props I was running. On the second run I used a APC 8.75 x 8.5. I know, the only way is a radar gun. Forget the guessing and the "speed charts". Too many variables. I would like to get our Kent County Sherrif out there, but who would dare fly a WHIPLASH directly at a cop car, not me! It would pass through front and back windows like butter<G>. Dave
Old 08-21-2002, 07:16 PM
brucevandyke

Default clocked speed

We had a measured 600 ft. and I clocked it at 3.3-3.4 seconds several times. I had to get flat and level so verticle was not a factor. That figures out to 140 mph. That was with a master airscrew 10-6 prop. Why that prop? It was fast enough and I don't have time to mess with it anymore and it was reliable. Fun with low maintenance. That prop also made take offs easier!