Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Prop Jet Rookie

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:35 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Jet Rookie

I'm new to the prop jet niche. Please help me dial in for the right set up. I have OS91FX and Magnum52XLS ready to put in something. Considering GP Patriot or Patriot XL. Thinking XL is better/easier to fly on Sundays... Do these planes come together pretty fast??? I must admit to being an ARF guy, have not built a plane from kit in 12-13 years. Or should I bag the idea and get a Kangke F20 ARF and put the Magnum 52 in it??? My background is sport aerobatic with GP Venus 40, U Can Do, Mustang stuff...all ARF like I said...[:-]
Old 11-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Prop Jet Rookie

kangke/Magnum
Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

kangke/Magnum
....yep....
Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well normally I would say to put that 91fx in it but the 91fx has a reputation of being an underpowered and totally unreliable piece of junk. I had two of them and returned them both in a months time.

So since your new to the propjet thing. Go with the Magnum. It will still move the plane pretty good, enough for you to get a good feel of it all. Then when you decide to build a little bigger an faster plane, use any other engine exept that 91fx. Nothing will put your plane faster into the trash can than that engine.

The Kangke is a good plane. Later on if you decide you like this speed stuf ,yu can step up to the pump and get a Jett .50 or .90
Old 11-30-2004, 04:25 PM
kmtranmd

Snoop:
Sorry to hear you got bad experience with OS91FX. It's actually my favorite engine, puts out plenty of torque with APC 15X6 prop hauling my U Can Do 60 like a rag doll. Looks like we got votes for F20 Kangke so I will go for that and put my Magnum 52 up front.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I have many OS engines and they are all great but that 91fx. They are notorious for overheating and bad performance since day one. Some people get by and most do not. The distributor never acknowledged the problems exsisted that I am aware of.

Somewhere along the line i think it came out that if you do this and that and orings and half a dozen other things to a brand new engine-it'll be fine. Sorry but at the cost of it, It should run like a top. Your better off installing a 61fx. Better engine.

As far as flying a prop jet, its far from a U Can Do. That have very high wing loading and glide ratio of a sack of dirt. Keep the power up a bit on final and until right before touchdown. Don't even think about "coasting" on in.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:31 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The Patriot 40 and XL are good places to start. Not hard to build. From all accounts, the XL flys quite well. The Pat 40 is a great flying plane too. I have to build me a new one though.... this old ARF is getting a bit used

If you want to be more adventurous, check out AK-models. http://ak-models.com
Alex has a free-shipping deal going through the holidays.

Snoop noted he was building the SU-27 from AKM. Both that an the Mig29 are good aircraft, if you do not mind the building process.

The Kange F-20 looks fairly good. From what I hear its a good flying aircraft, although if you want retracts, that takes a bit of re-work to incorporate them.

Bob
Old 12-02-2004, 12:12 AM
kmtranmd

Geez Bob, 35-55 sheets of wood to build those jets from AKM. I don't have much time to build so that will take me forever, and will be scared to fly afterward knowing how much time I spent to build these. How many hours for averge sport builder to put together Patriot XL???
Old 12-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I was just re reading this thread and realized something funny. Do you have a plane recommendation for "Thursday Afternoons?"

[quote]ORIGINAL: kmtranmd

Considering GP Patriot or Patriot XL. Thinking XL is better/easier to fly on Sundays...
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Seems like the patriot frames up fairly quickly.

Look back a week or two.... there is a good build-thread on the XL showing construnction.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm gonna build my AKM Mig-29 someday....if I live that long....

FBD.