Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot 40 engine selection

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot 40 engine selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Dave03B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot 40 engine selection

Hi All,

I've been building my patriot 40 on and off now for a little while. Was building it around the West 50 with full length pipe. I have recentely taken my OS46VX and fan unit out of my Hawk. The engine has been barely run in. Was planning to sell it on to raise funds for a turbine................however..................

So, for my Patriot, West .50 vs. 46vx

Cheers
Old 12-04-2004, 08:44 AM
der_steuermann
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Patriot 40 engine selection

Dave,

the .46 VX as a DF engine "wants/needs" rpms above 20K to develop its best output. Below these rpms, a good sport engine is way superior in terms of torque.

Using a VX engine such high rpms can only be achieved using (pylon) props with diameters equal or below 8". But I doubt that these relatively small props will be able to pull the Patriot airframe effectively...

Old 12-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Dave- The West would be pretty impressive but is designed around an 8x8 or similar as mentioned with the DF engine... I guess you could use a 9x7 -

You need a Jett-50, that way there is no long pipe messing up the lines of the Patriot---
Old 12-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Dave03B

I happen to like long pipes messing up the lines of the patriot, if you dont mind. Huf![&o]

Yeah, I'll use a 9x7, see how it goes......I'm building this patriot light, and around a TOD.
Hows the fleet Razor?
Cheers Helge for your info also