Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Holy Smoke or Skyfire 40, anyone?

Old 08-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Holy Smoke or Skyfire 40, anyone?

My first Delta was the Balsa USA Force One. Interesting plane. I'm currently flying a Diamond Dust with a Webra Speed 35. Very good for the adrenalin rush! So now I'm thinking of finding myself a Holy Smoke, or its Radical RC equivilent, the Skyfire 40.

So who's got one? Lets hear some stories! I'm thinking I just may want one, as may a few others!
Old 08-26-2002, 05:04 PM
TRP
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW!

I have a Skyfire 40 and thought I was the only one on the planet. I purchased it for $10.00 as an un-opened kit from my local hobby shop. I originally purchased it just for the wood but once I opened the kit I couldn't help but to want to build it. So it's next on my building board. I plan on powering it with a OS 40FX.

I know NOTHING about this plane. I have no idea how it flies or anything.

I thought about adding dual vertical fins - don't know why.. maybe so it would look similar to the dimamond dust.

Any info on this plane would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
TRP
Old 08-30-2002, 10:41 AM
nun45
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i built one three years ago and my brother is still flying it! never had a plane that was so small yet soooo stable. deadsticks are as much fun as flying it. loved it so much i scratch built an a-4 propjet using the smoke as the wing! the skyfire is the same plane as the holy smoke right down to the plans! built another so when the first one went in we would have another, but never needed it! it will perform alongside a dust with one exception, it will roll faster! putting twin stabs will slow the roll rate some, i fear.---henry
Old 08-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Had a Holy Smoke years ago around mid to late 80....memories is fading.....used to have a 46 OS SF with the hatori pipe and header, they were easy to find back them...(Tower Hobbies), flew pretty well very stable and fast, but i don't think they compare to the new breed, like the DD and the Whiplash....

Flew mime for three years or so and sold to a friend.

Daniel D.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:51 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just pick this one up at a swap meet. It appears to have been around for quite some time. The engine mount has seen many engines and my TT GP-42 is just one of the latest.

I was a little skeptical about the stability of this airplane. My initial takeoff attempts showed that it is a little squirrelly on the initial rotation. I finally figure that you have to let it leap into the air and then it becomes very stable but tends to torque to the left -- I'm still learning.

Landing is a little bit of a challenge -- got to keep the nose up right down to touch down.

Even with a TT GP-42 this is the fasted airplane I own. I just ordered a Mac's muffler for it and may eventually put a tune pipe on it or switch to another more-dynamic 46-size engine. In the meantime I'm switching from the 10x7 prop to a 9x8 prop -- this should give me a few more mph.

My control throws right now appear to be insufficient for real dynamics. I guess my predecessor was a little leary. All of the control horn connections where on the top holes and the servo arms where short.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30569_1820.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	14393  
Old 10-22-2002, 11:41 PM
wader

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default a fine idea

I want to build a holy smoke with retracks , just 'one up ' my buddy's at the field , got to admit , it would turn some heads , including mine. he he he ..........later
Old 10-29-2002, 02:00 AM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Holy Smoke, Batman!

Here's a Holy Smoke I flew for three years with a YS .45 w/Hatori pipe. I got 16K with a 9x8 prop which is about 120mph. I retired it because I started to get "attached" to it too much. I've learned that once you get that way about a plane, it's best to just put it up and build something new. The pilot's head came off a PEZ dispenser, and I just blacked in some shoulders around it. -Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32831_548.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	14394  
Old 10-30-2002, 11:48 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Holy Smoke my father-in-law gave me. HB40 and a single fin. I was a little apprehensive on the first flight, but it was not necessary.....what a *****cat. I got bit by the pattern bug but can't seem to part with that little plane.

Where can I get plans for another one?
Old 10-31-2002, 02:04 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by petec
I have a Holy Smoke my father-in-law gave me. HB40 and a single fin. I was a little apprehensive on the first flight, but it was not necessary.....what a *****cat. I got bit by the pattern bug but can't seem to part with that little plane.

Where can I get plans for another one?
It is now called the SkyFire40 and is current and can be ordered as a kit from Four Pi.

http://www.fourpi.com/
Old 10-31-2002, 03:31 AM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Radical RC has Skyfire too

Looks like RadicalRC.com has it too, only $52. The kit is worth it to buy if the ribs are die cut. It will save you a bunch of time because there are several sets of rather large ribs.
Dave only charges $2 shipping too.
-Tom