Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

I WANT SPEED, NEED HELP TO CHOOSE KIT

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

I WANT SPEED, NEED HELP TO CHOOSE KIT

Old 12-05-2004, 02:07 AM
islandflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WANT SPEED, NEED HELP TO CHOOSE KIT

I like the looks of the Patriot, and the F20, and....Don't know what to pick.
I am not a beginner to speed, I had several Q-500 about 20 years ago. I since flew aerobatics (giant and 3D) only, so I have no recent info on your speed planes.
I WANT SPEED, WITH RETRACTS, GOOD LOOKS, AND I WANT A KIT. The patriot XL looks good, but is it fast? I read a few posts about the Cermark F-20, but I can't find it on their web site (I don't want an ARF, so Kangke is out).
I appreciate your inputs.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I WANT SPEED, NEED HELP TO CHOOSE KIT

Go with the Patriot....get one or two while they are in stock. They were
discontinued for a few years, and were brought back by popular demand.
Don't take for granted they will always be there.

The Jury is still out on the Patriot XL. I doubt that high speeds could
be achieved with the big plane. However, with enough ponies up front
the plane would still be a blast, and the plane looks real good....just
standing still.

Heck....build 'em both....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

FBD.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two Ultra Sport .40 kits right now on Ebay. 5939911451 or 5940038990. You slap a Jett. 50 on one of these puppies and it will move.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:28 PM
islandflyer

Flyboy,

I appreciate your response. I see your name all over these speed threads that I have been reading the last couple of days.
I will follow your advice, and get 2 Patriot 40 and one XL (for good measure).
Please let me know what you think of the set up I want (I am going to build the .40 first):
Motor: Jett Signature .50
Retracts: Spring Air 305 (I read that these can be use both for the .40 and the XL)
Servos: Futaba 9402 for control surfaces, Hitec 225 for throttle and retract.
Rx Battery: TBM LiIon 2200mah.

Can/should this plane be set up with flaps?

Anything else I should know about this plane (Contruction, hardware, set up,....) ???

Thanks
Old 12-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

islandflyer ....

This is just my opinion....all your ideas are fine....but,

I would use a smaller battery in the 40 size, the retracts will add a higher
wing loading....and you want to keep that to a minimum. The flaps would
be cool on the XL, not cool on the .40....again, more unwanted weight on
the 40. I still use nicads....

Put a Jett .90 in the XL, and have a big and little Brother....

FBD.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:08 AM
islandflyer

Flyboy,
thanks for your info. I Talked to D. Jett this morning: told him about the patriot and ordered the .50; he suggested to break-in the motor with a 9x8 prop, then go to a 9x9.
I got retracts just for cooler looks (I see on this forum that a lot of you speed addicts use them too, so you want me to be slower?)
I use the LiIon 2200mah batteries because they are lighter than most 600mah AA size NiCad 6V packs, and allow me to fly with non-digital servos for 10 flights.
On my giant scale, I use 4400mah packs with 8 and 10 digital servos, and I easily get 10 flights too.
I like these capacities: I normally only take one plane at a time to the field, wether it is my smallest or biggest, I get to really know my plane that way. So I fly 5 to 10 flights on that one plane, without recharging.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:39 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Islandflyer- Dave always gives great advice and this is no exception, I have had 4 Patriots (2 currently-) the best set-up was Jett-50, 9x9 APC, Spring-Air retracts, and I actually used standard servos on 6V (60 oz. torque-) mine had split flaps (not necessary but fun- and heavier as Dave mentioned-) The servos you are suggesting are perfect also--

You are obviously an experienced pilot and I am pretty sure you will get hooked on the Patriot!

A side note, I would leave off the intakes for less drag and less work although they do look pretty good--

Keep us posted!
james
Old 12-08-2004, 02:08 AM
islandflyer

Razor,
Thanks. I did plan to leave the intakes off (I don't like having to paint and glue plastic parts on a Monokoted airplane). This is meant to be SPEED FOR FUN, and its not a scale plane any way.
Its funny, because after flying pretty nice big planes for a few years, I am all excited again about this little one.
All was ordered, so now I have to wait...
....BUT I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 AM
islandflyer

Razor,

I just checked the map for Ramona,CA: There is one up North, and one near Encinitas. Which one are you in?
I flew in So. Cal from 1982 to 1990. In 1982-83 I lived in Carlsbad and Encinitas, and my club was Palomar R/C flyers.

Is that your neighborhood?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Islandflyer.... I believe you will be happily rewarded with the combination you have chosen

One suggestion...... perhaps consider HS-80/81/85 type servos for the throttle/retract valve. Just a way of keeping an extra ounce or two off of the plane.

Also, maybe consider an integral jett spinner. You will need a good aluminum spinner anyway. The integral spinner actually replaces the prop drive on the front of the engine, and becomes part of the engine... little chance for it to come lose. Plus the bullet shape kinda looks cool [&:]

Where on the islands do you fly ?

Bob
Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
islandflyer

Bob, thank you.

I mostly fly at "the swamp" in Kailua, which it the only dedicated field on the island. I some times fly at the Kaneohe Marine base, to hang out with my jet friends. A few of us took part in a show there in October with Patty Wagstaff and the Blue Angels (I put up a thread on it: Pattyy Wagstaff, Blue Angels and R/C, too much fun...). This Saturday, we are doing one at Weeler Airforce Base, that should be fun too

I did order the JETT spinner with the engine.

Wish you all some good flying fun. I feel sorry for all those living in cold cities, and who can't fly now (I started flying in Portland-OR, and winter was cold and/or wet !!!).
Old 12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Yes sir we are "kinda" close to Encinitas.... Ramona is just East of Poway and Escondido, I work in Vista right next to Carlsbad and Oceanside---

I fly at the Weedwackers in Lakeside the Palomar fliers are just up the freeway
Old 12-08-2004, 10:06 PM
freebird1

islandflyer, I have the 40 Patriot. After I flew the 40, I had to have the XL. The 40 is a super landing plane. bleeds off speed and will not tip stall easy. I have around 100 flights on the 40 with Hobbieco Mec. retracts. I know the Mec retracts are not liked, but I have had no problems with over a 100 flights. I have a Rossi 45 and by no means is the plane slow. With the Jett50 you will be pleased. I put the flaps on the XL, because it seems heavy to me. I am also putting a Jett 90 in her. Covering next week. I may be making a mistake, but I am going to cover her in WorldTex.[sm=confused.gif]

Freebird
Old 12-08-2004, 11:56 PM
islandflyer

I am eager to read more flight reports on the Patriot XL. I read a few on the "Patriot building pics thread" but not many there. I understand it is a buiding thread, not a flying thread.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:41 AM
islandflyer

Guys, I am an excite 48 years old little boy tonight. I didn't have to wait long, and picked up my patriot kits from LHS about an hour ago. I already have the plans cut into manageable parts ans taped to the building board.
The Jett .50 should be here tomorrow, but SpringAir seemed a bit overwhelmed by Christmas when I called, and may not ship my retracts for another two or three weeks [] I will call them in the morning to get ETA.
QUESTION: I don't like using painted ABS (Tail pipe). Any other idea ??? Like wood fiberglass?
Thanks for your ideas.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:00 PM
thisoneused
My Feedback: (-1)

You can impress the heck out of your fellow field members by purchasing a Miss Candace from H&M racing. It's an all composit plane that holds many wins in the pylon racing world. With the right .40 size engine you can get 200mph out of it!

Just a thought,
Jim
Old 12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
thisoneused
My Feedback: (-1)

I should add a link for you to speek with Harrold at H&M racing if your interested in this type of craft. Be advized though..you will have to wait about a month or so before he will be able to get you one laid up due to it's popularity among Q-40 pylon racers!
mailto:[email protected]

Jim Hoover[8D]