Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

McCoy #9

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 09:55 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy #9

any idea where I can find a McCoy #9 plug? I found McCoy 59s but no #9, is there even such a plug?

Needing for my P120 turbines, I was told by a friend that the Mc Coy #9 works best
Old 08-17-2002, 10:54 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

Default McCoy #9

Starfleet had # 9's last time I was in there, They are DF plugs.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:08 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plugs

Rick,

Horizon Hobby has them in their catalog, they are a Hangar 9 product now.

I have a P-80 and am using an Enya 3 with great results, I get immediate starts. I went with the Enya because it has a nice ball on the end that hooks into the plug cap very securely, in addition to being a very high quality plug. I think Bob Wilcox is recommending the OS A3 which also works great, is cheap and lasts a long time.

I think all you really need is a good standard hot plug. Most important is the prep, you need to pull out two coils about 1/8". That more than anything will insure a fast, positive start. Beyond that to the best of my knowledge any quality standard RC plug will work.

Gene
Old 08-17-2002, 11:59 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default thanks

Thats what I'm running now is an A3 whats your glow setting at? I was running a Rossi 8 per Bob's suggestion and bumped up the glow, NOT it would spool up thru 2-3 cycles before popping..

if the A3 is good I'll stick with it, it does work fine but sometimes goes to the second spool up before crankin.

I'll try the Enya's too.. thanks gene, hows the whiplash comin?
Old 08-18-2002, 01:10 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Default McCoy #9

Hey Rick, how many ya want?
Old 08-18-2002, 03:26 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default Dean

Hey Deano, 1/2 dozen works for me if you have extras
Old 08-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Dustflyer

Default JetCat plugs

Rick,

My P-80 came with a Rossi and after a while it would take multiple tries to get a start. I pulled the plug and sure enough the coils where not properly pulled out.

I practiced on some old plugs till I got it right. Use a pin with the tip bent slightly like a hook. Before prepping a new plug, heat it with a glow driver to anneal the coil and prevent breakage. Using a magnifying glass or strong reading glasses stick the pin into the plug and grab the second coil. Gently pull it out. When you are finished you should have two coils exposed across the plug horizontally like an old fashioned light bulb,and they should be WAY out there, like 1/8" of an inch.

They sould look something like this: |"|

Once I put a good, properly prepped plug into my JetCat it would light off perfectly, first time every time. A real thing of beauty.

Any decent plug will work. I know the A3 works perfectly because Bob Wilcox uses them in all his engines. I like the Enya 3 because it is a top quality plug and hooks very securely into the JetCat plug cap.

Pull your plug and take a look at it. My guess is the coils are not properly exposed.

As I recall my plug voltage was set pretty much at the default setting. I had a little mishap with my HotSpot the other day so I can't really plug into the ECU and check it out for you right now. Hope to have that baby flying again in a few weeks.

My Whiplash is just sitting around looking pretty for now. I need to rustle up some carbon fiber rods and Sullivan horns along with a couple 8411's. If the local shops don't have the heavy duty hardware I guess I'll call Central Hobbies next week.

Hey, how about this idea? Why not offer an optional "heavy duty hardware kit" for guys wanting to run big motors? That way we can get everything we need from one source.

Warmest regards,

Gene
Old 08-18-2002, 02:42 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default kits

thanks Gene for the tips, I have all of my P120s kickin off pretty good now, I was having problems in the beginning with plugs burning out, but I reduced the glow setting and now there ok.

On the hardware kits, we were going to start putting sullivan horns with th standard kit, but Sullivan has them backordered till the end of August.

The H/D kit package is a really good idea, I think we may start offering that on the website as an optional package..

thanks for the ideas and help , get that whiplash up soon, your missing out on a lot of fun..
Old 08-18-2002, 03:07 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: JetCat plugs

Originally posted by Dustflyer
I had a little mishap with my HotSpot the other day so I can't really plug into the ECU and check it out for you right now. Hope to have that baby flying again in a few weeks.
What happened Gene????

Rick, what did you have to lower your voltage to? My P80 I had to lower it after an ECU change to keep it from popping plugs, down to like 1.9 ish
Old 08-18-2002, 03:12 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default glow

about 1.8 or 1.9 1.5 didnt do it.. it wouldnt light here up..
Old 08-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Dustflyer

Default HotSpot

John,

Well.... it turns out the HotSpot doesn't make the best tree trimmer!

I just grazed a tiny little branch sticking way out. If I had been one inch further out it would have slid right along the leading edge and probably wouldn't have done a thing. Unfortunately I caught it right between the fuselage and the fin and it wedged right in there. Literally grabbed the airplane and spun it around. The branch was still in there when I retreived the airplane.

Surprisingly little damage, mainly confined to the nose section. That HotSpot is one amazingly tough bird. Hope to have it back up soon.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:32 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default PLUGS

Hey Deano, got the plugs, I really appreciate that but theres one problem, you didnt tell me what I owe ya...
thanks pal, appreciate that a bunch, let me know wha I owe, otherwise I'll have to catch you at an event and by you dinner...

by the way, hows the hawg??
Old 09-02-2002, 01:09 AM
A10FLYR

Default McCoy #9

See You at Superman???
Old 09-02-2002, 01:52 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default superman

Hopefully, you're going I presume?
Old 09-02-2002, 02:44 AM
A10FLYR

Default McCoy #9

Yes indeedy! Just made my motel reservations a few minutes ago! I'll be there tue evening.