Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Whiplash fuel tank(s)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash fuel tank(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 05:26 AM
Larry J.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiplash fuel tank(s)

Just when I get my WLash haulin' and settled into the slot ........outta fuel! My DJett 50 goes through 6 oz. of fuel like a snack. I know horsepower cost .... but the thrill is just too short.

I'd be interested in hearing from other WLash drivers with high performance engines. How did you set-up your fuel system. Is anyone using bladders ? I'm using a Sullivan Slant/Flex with receiver foam for dampening and still get a little foam fed to the carb. Props are well balanced (APC/Wood). I dare not use another shot of Armorall. Does anyone know of an airless/bladder tank larger than 6 oz. ?

I'm kinda spoiled but I want my speed in larger doses !!!

I guesss I could back off the throttle a bit ....... Naaaah

Hey Dan... how about some wing tanks ........ Yeahhhhhh wing tanks ____
Old 08-28-2002, 01:57 AM
Noflyzone

Default Fuel Tanks

Hummmmmmm. Now that's an idea...Mayhaps we'll have to do something about that. I know 6oz. is not much. By the way, how's the weather in Cali?
Old 08-28-2002, 03:24 AM
Larry J.

Hey Dan,

The weather is great ...... 78 deg. with 5-7 mph right down the runway.

Do you ever get back to the west coast ?

Ya know I keep looking at this WLash and a little extra fuel may be possible. What's on either side of the fuel tank? Is there room for maybe a narrow hopper tank like we ran in the ducted fans?

Don't let me distract you ..... 2-4 oz. wing tanks (jettisoned just as you call the ball) would be Ummmmmm!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 12:06 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default FUEL TANK

Larry, I was going to try strapping a Dubro 50 ounce on the CG of the whiplash, but my nerves wouldnt take it, so...

If you havent found a bigger tank, call Dan or mysef and we'll see what we can dig up for ya...
Old 08-29-2002, 12:11 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: FUEL TANK

Originally posted by BAGOSTIX
Larry, I was going to try strapping a Dubro 50 ounce on the CG of the whiplash, but my nerves wouldnt take it, so...

If you havent found a bigger tank, call Dan or mysef and we'll see what we can dig up for ya...
50 oz.....????

Boy I got to get to Louisiana.........
Old 08-29-2002, 12:23 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default ..

: )
Old 08-29-2002, 01:53 AM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert but you should just seal off that composite frame and fill it with fuel...
Old 08-29-2002, 03:01 PM
flybike

Use some bungee cords and strap a gallon milk jug under the wing, fill it up with fuel...
Old 08-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Larry J.

Default Re: FUEL TANK

Originally posted by BAGOSTIX

If you havent found a bigger tank, call Dan or mysef and we'll see what we can dig up for ya ...
I'm willing to come help ya dig ...... Whacha got in the parts bin ? I don't want to cut it (fuel compartment), but I may have to just to install a 6 oz. Tettra. If she goes under the Dremel, I wanted to increase fuel capacity as well. 8-10 ozs. would be perfect.

I've been scouring the Web and have'nt found anything suitable so far. Tettra made a bubbleless tank for the pattern guys, but I haven't been able to track it down. Chip Hyde used to carry it, but no more.

Wasn't there a hint of you making your own bubbleless tank ? How about a retrofit of the Backlash tank compartment to my WhipLash?

If ya have any alternatives, I'm interested. I'll have to be satisfied with little doses of fun for now.

But we both know ...... wing tanks are the only cool option !!
Old 08-30-2002, 12:25 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Performance Speciaties....

Has Tettra tanks..and the list on the side of the box goes up to 32 oz (I think)

Give them a shout, or Singapore Hobbies might have a source. At any rate, Tettra does make some larger bubbless tanks.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:31 AM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

I know they say do not modify without consulting them but we could not remember who to contact......But anyway on one of our whiplash we removed the throttle servo and relocated a micro beside the tank for the throttle. Then we cut out the tank bay into the throttle bay. This allowed us to put in a longer tank. But on mine going around 200mph I've had enough flying time with the stock tank.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:20 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tettra Tanks

Central Hobbies carries Tettra tanks.
http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fueltnk.html
Old 08-30-2002, 11:11 PM
Larry J.

Default Re: Performance Speciaties....

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
Has Tettra tanks..and the list on the side of the box goes up to 32 oz (I think)

Give them a shout, or Singapore Hobbies might have a source. At any rate, Tettra does make some larger bubbless tanks.
Thanks guys.... Dave (PerfSpec) turned me on to Daryl (Cady) who turned me on to Alan (Central Hobbies) who had just heard of the WhipLash and was very interested in the plane. I have an 8.5 oz. bubbleless tank on the way.

The willingness to hook a guy up with what he needs in this hobby never ceases to amaze me !!!

Someone always knows someone who knows someone that has what you need.

I'll keep you posted .....
Old 08-31-2002, 12:22 AM
Noflyzone

Default Whiplash fuel tanks

Larry,

I recently did some checking on tank sizes and you can get 2 Sullivan 2oz. oval tanks in the radio bay as saddles. Connect 'em like a DF set up with either the bubbless tank or the stock 6oz and get at least 10 oz of fuel. We're gonna offer the new set up as an option with the Whiplash X starting production very soon.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:27 AM
Larry J.

Default Re: Whiplash fuel tanks

Originally posted by Noflyzone
Larry,

We're gonna offer the new set up as an option with the Whiplash X starting production very soon.
Along with the wing tank option .... RIGHT ?

Will the Sullivans fit with the receiver & battery or do I have to relocate them somewhere else ? I'm not sure I can use the Sullivans to feed a bubbleless tank .... can I ? I wanted the bubbleless primarily to get a more consistent fuel flow but if you or someone else know how to feed it ..... I'm all eeeerrrs. :greedy:
Old 09-01-2002, 05:33 PM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

you said you had a jett engine.. did you not know dub jett makes bladder tanks also......better late than never on advice for others.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:38 AM
Larry J.

Default Too small & too large

Originally posted by ishu4u
you said you had a jett engine.. did you not know dub jett makes bladder tanks also......better late than never on advice for others.
Yep ..... too small AND too large. DJs tanks are less than 6oz. capacity and overall length is around 6". I wanted to increase fuel capacity but didn't want to cut any further (5 inches) than the throttle servo cavity. I also have to accomodate a remote (exhaust mount) needle.

The 8.5 oz. Tettra comes in at 2.1" W x 4.7" L. After I relocate the throttle, this should fit just right.