Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Jett 90, how much fuel ?

Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jett 90, how much fuel ?

I'm building a Patriot XL with a Jett 90 rear exhaust, how much fuel do they consume flying at full throttle? How big a tank will fit in that XL? How does a header tank system work? (Using a small tank up front and a bigger tank behind). I'm almost done with the wings and I'll be starting the fuse next. I need to start thinking of a fuel system........OR, will the old 12oz tank be big enough? It would be nice to fly it more than 3 or 4 minutes. Last question, is it possible to put the tank near the c.g. so there is not a big trim change when the tank empties?

Thanks for anyones' response.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Jett 90, how much fuel ?

Well my Ultra Sport w/Jett 90L has a 16oz tank I think. I always try to stuff the largest tank possible and trim the bulkhead if I have too. I also flw all my planes for 5 minutes. By then I have had enough. I know I will have more than enough fuel to land if I have to go around several times to wait for the idiots to get out of the way. By the end of all that I still have at least 1/3 of a tank or more. They are pretty good on fuel and I fly wide open until I land.

Flying a plane with a high wing loading is not worth the risk of running out of fuel since they glide like a brick, Thats why I time all my speedsters for 5 minutes. Now on my F-20 I think I have a 12oz tank and I only go 4 minutes and I need to get it down. On these speed planes you ought to develope a strict time limit.

I would take it up for 4ish minutes on your first flight, After you get trimmed, take a few laps and land and check things out to include you tank. Also if you go with the recommended prop. Stick with it for 10-15 flights at least before you change it if you want. I have about 20 flights on mine right now with a 12/7apc so I know how good it does. I am planning on changing props. With this many flights on the plane. I will be able to tell immediately if the performance is better or worse. The trick is to take a flight right before you change it. Anyways I will be switching to a 11/11 or 11/12 to see how it goes.

Flying an expesive speed plane is an adrenaline rush. Not some Q500 thing but like what your building. It's like two types of morotcycle riders, Jap bikes or Harleys. Harley guys just like to cruise around and relax. Those on a Jap street bike drive aggressive and you need to pay attention or your going down fast and hard.

To be honest I love it but whenever I go up, I can't wait to land. 4-5 mnutes does not seem long but it feels like an hour when your average speed is over 100mph.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd go for the biggest tank you can comfortably fit - at least 16 oz. I agree with Snoop that you may not want to fly more than 5 or 6 minutes, but a larger tank gives you the option of more time if you want or need more. I'm going to try a Tettra bubbleless 500cc on the CG well behind the firewall of a Jett 90 powered design I am building. May work, may not. I'll be glad to let you know, but it is likely you'll be done with your project before I am. Good luck. By the way, I got the Tettra bubbleless from Central Hobbies.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:36 PM
SSAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

Flying an expesive speed plane is an adrenaline rush. Not some Q500 thing...

If you want some really high adrenaline rush, come race with us in AMA 428 Q-500.
All you will need is a composite quickie, $450 plus to start, $365-$$379 w/backplate quickie engine, about $200 receiver/servos gears and some props and you will have all the adrenalin you need.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:54 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 12-29-2004, 01:17 AM
freebird1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Do-bro 16 OZ with a Jett 90 that fits nicely in there. . Not flown her yet (covering), but would guess the same time as Snoop Doggy Bag noted. 5 Min seems a whole lot longer with the Patriot and Jett screaming.

Freebird
Old 12-29-2004, 01:26 AM
freebird1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OOO yea, I have a hopper system in my F-20. I have a 53 Rossi and only an 8 OZ would fit, so I put a 8 OZ hopper behind her. I put the lager clunks in the tanks and had the fule lines very tight, but still get some air. I would go with the 16 OZ, but the hopper will work with some mods. Not worth it to me for a few Mins fo flight time.

Goodluck

Freebird
Old 12-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And anyway... what's wrong with "JAP" bikes...? I'd rather be driving a 180 hp "crotch rocket" than a 500 pound lawnmower...
Old 12-29-2004, 06:48 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

.....Yeah Snoop, not all "Jap" bikes are crotch rockets......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89420.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	208044  
Old 12-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is that? A Jaharley
Old 12-29-2004, 10:55 PM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the info. do you think there will be a big trim change with the tank up front and when the tank empties? what do you think? if you're using retracts which ones ? I'm going to use spring air, I got the 305s. I never used retracts before. any advice? RVBlack
Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 PM
freebird1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The CG should not be a problem. The CG is not a problem with the 40 I have. I am covering my Patriot XL now. I am useing the Hobbeco mechanical retracts. The total cost is only $35 counting a Expert servo. Most here will go with air. Great as long as you have air. I would do a search. The mechanical retracts have worked fine in the 40 size, but the XL is quit a bit larger and heavery, but I am still going with the mechanical ones.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:37 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A quick tip.........

throttle back now and then when possible during the flight. It amazing how much flight time you can get.

I know.... I know.... what's a throttle

Bob