Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Just picked up another R65!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Just picked up another R65!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 10:53 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up another R65!

Don't see 'em too often, so I was glad to score this one. The guy had it listed as a .61, the .65 is stamped in itty bitty numbers on the lug, while the case has .61 cast into it. And it has been run, but not much..well oiled and smooothe bearings...header is whacked, I was happy to just get the spring. Has the right carb, too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37066_5977.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	23301  
Old 11-23-2002, 04:29 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ChuckAuger....

....you have way too many fast engines already.

So why don't you just sell this one to me? (cheap)
Just kidding....nice score, dude....

Dave.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:39 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default And got a few numbers..

Well I got to run this engine a little this evening. I fired it up and did all the runs on the plug that came with it. The new tach came in right handy. This engine is stock. 10% Powermaster.

Paid $89 for it..

9X8 APC 19.1 K using the same pipe I had set for the "other" R65.

Put in a .015" sleeve shim and got 19.6 K. Didn't have enough time to try to set the pipe, but I think another sleeve shim and a little pipe adjusting I'll get 20K easy.

Now for the "other" 65. I've increased the exhaust duration on the sleeve to 172 deg. Runs great, turning the 9X8 19.4 right off, but I've lost some displacement...turns the 8.8X9 pylon about 900 rpm faster than the 9X8 sport...I knew them little blades was spinning in place. I'll take another sleeve and go 160 deg duration and a sleeve shim, that ought to be OK.I just broke the surface tonite, so many variables, but I'm pretty happy with the quick baseline readings. I'm just glad to have a tach again.

And for load comparison..I couldn't get better than 15.5K on the 8.75X12, but I'll bet it unloads like a madman, can't do that on the stand.

Worse comes to worse, I'll be able to trim with the 9X8, at least get in the air. It's comforting to know there are planes breaking 200 at 2K less RPM static. Of course I'll never go that fast, but I can throw my test stand at them LOL.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:55 PM
RossiRay

Default Flight simulation

Would a leaf blower help to simulate in flight conditions? Some of them advertise up to 225 mph velocity. A friend holding one could blast away at the running engine while you tune and tach.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:08 AM
jprge C.
My Feedback: (1)

Default SCANDE Demon ???

Hi Guys,
I saw something very interesting for some winter flying and i wonder if anyone has played with these. I would like your feedback, thought I might buy myself a Xmas present Please let me know as soon as you can. i will be gone for work starting Tuesday night.

Thanks Jorge email [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38886_5977.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	23302  
Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
resourcecapital
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just picked up another R65!

help i have aducted fan r65 cast in 65 carb is part of rear case assy and rear exhaust
does anyone have a manual for this motor bought new for 125 including a 5 port cyl assy