Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Outlaw Construction

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Outlaw Construction

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solutions

You will pick up 1500-2000 rpm with the mousse can pipe setup. I dont know the demensions of the one they picture.
You may want to try the 8.5x7.5 APC prop on that set up. It has a bit more thrust and has a nice blade profile.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evan-RCU said that he was using mousse cans, but now uses a unmuffled Macs tuned pipe. It must therefore be a better option. I do have that pipe at hand too . That might be the simplest way to gor for me. I'll try to get a hand on this 8.5x7.5 APC prop. Did you try it ? Doesn't top end speed suffer from this lower pitch ?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

I'm asking the same question here as I haven't received any answer on the Extreme Flight Outlaw thread [&:] :

"OKAY.
I have two NIB Webra .32 at hand. I think I'll use one of them instead of my magnum. One of them has the lightweight stock muffler (not baffled ). How much performance gain is to be expected from the mousse can muffler setup pictured on ExtremeFlight web site ? And does anyone know how to build that kind of setup ? Where does the header stop ? Where does the stinger start ? I've read several articles about them but never tried it. I already have the .32 sized macs header btw. I have the bad feeling the whole thing would come apart after some flight time ... this mousse can muffler has reportedly to be mounted "free".... which wouldn't be the case for a traditional tuned pipe, which I think would be more durable. Any thoughts ?

My servos setup : 3 x HS 645 MG. Is it OK for all out performance ?

Intended prop : 8x8. Can I break-in that webra on the ground with a 8x6 ? Good ol' 2' pitch rule. (pretty scary idea as I regularly run my os 15 LA on this prop ). "

Any input ? Thx.
The Webra's are good motors, deffinitely use them. Jerry designed the plane around the Webra and used them exclusively on his for years until he was contracted by Hobby Services which is Futaba and OS.

There are many styles of mousse can and I have used them on the Outlaws with good results. Right now I am using a Macs full pipe on my regular Outlaw and a mousse on my floats Outlaw. I'll probably swap the floats one to a macs peace pipe (the black one) since the stinger is loose on it. Mousse pipes just don't last as long as a they are home built with JB Weld. What Extreme Flight shows is not a regular mousse pipe and I have not seen how they work.

645's are not good for this. A regular BB servo that has good centering is what you want on the elevons and rudder, a mini on the motor is fine. Keep it light. The 645's are slow, heavy and don't center well. Centering is important at higher speeds and you don't need that much torque. In fact the HS 225 mini would work for all the spots. Don't get metal gears you don't need them and they get sloppy faster.

The APC 8X8 IS the prop for this unless you want to hang it on the prop and hover it around. It'll do it but it's not what the Outlaws about. Break it in on the 8X8 in the air, just run it a tad richer than you normally would.

The only warning I have is with the elevons you can overrun the servos stops when you have both aileron and elevator sticks to the stops. Some servos get hot when this is done and I've had servos fail.

Have fun!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Strykaas

Thank you Evans for your answer.
Regarding the mousse can, I think I won't use it, I'll use the same setup as yours (macs unmuffled tuned pipe that I have at hand ).
As far as servos are concerned, I'm a bit suprised by your comment as several Outlaw flyers have reported good results with them here. Would the situation still be manageable with these servos or shall I use better ones instead ? I plan to use 4.8V on mine. I have graupner/JR C4621 servos (ultra expensive analog servos), that I would have kept for really fast ships (DD or ...). Do you think they would be better suited ?
Which are the servos YOU use and have good results with ?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

I'm asking the same question here as I haven't received any answer on the Extreme Flight Outlaw thread [&:] :

"OKAY.
I have two NIB Webra .32 at hand. I think I'll use one of them instead of my magnum. One of them has the lightweight stock muffler (not baffled ). How much performance gain is to be expected from the mousse can muffler setup pictured on ExtremeFlight web site ? And does anyone know how to build that kind of setup ? Where does the header stop ? Where does the stinger start ? I've read several articles about them but never tried it. I already have the .32 sized macs header btw. I have the bad feeling the whole thing would come apart after some flight time ... this mousse can muffler has reportedly to be mounted "free".... which wouldn't be the case for a traditional tuned pipe, which I think would be more durable. Any thoughts ?

My servos setup : 3 x HS 645 MG. Is it OK for all out performance ?

Intended prop : 8x8. Can I break-in that webra on the ground with a 8x6 ? Good ol' 2' pitch rule. (pretty scary idea as I regularly run my os 15 LA on this prop ). "

Any input ? Thx.

Sent PM. The HS645's are good servos for the Outlaw. I'm running mine on 4.8v 800mah pack with no problems.

About the mousse can pipe there was a thread on how to build one do a search. The header is left at it's full lengthe. The can is pressure fit on it with a silicone coupler. The stinger and nipple for tank pressure are JB welded in place.

Pete
Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
evan-RCU

I have Futaba 920X in mine, they're old, coreless, good centering, I've had them in a couple Outlaws..

The issue with the 645's is they have poor centering, too much torque, slow response speed. You CAN use them, it's just there are better choices, heck a 3004 is a decent choice, one I would make over the 645.

625 would be good...

The rudder needs the highest torque.. the 645 would be OK there as centering isn't as big a deal.

I'm not saying 645's won't work and many people have used them, just in my opinion there are better choices, not necessarily more expensive one's either.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Strykaas

Pete,
Thank you for your pm.

Evan, that is interesting information, now I'm quite reassured. Think I'll start with the 3 x 645 I have now and upgrade later if I feel my ship is too slopy or not responsive engouh. Are you sure the HS225 nylon gear have better centering ? And do you think the higher speed is really noticeable ?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:38 PM
evan-RCU

I have a long piece of balsa glued to a servo wheel that I put on the servos to see speed and centering. It's amazing how many servos do not center anywhere close to repeatable. It's an easy test to do.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 AM
Strykaas

Interesting [sm=50_50.gif]. What's worrying is that centering is certainly even worse under load.[&:]
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Rocketman612

Year Bump

Started another season on my built Outlaw. Fly em if ya got em.

Pete
Old 11-02-2018, 05:17 PM
wagspe208
My Feedback: (1)

Reviving an OLD thread.
Is anyone still doing these with nitro engines?
I have a jett 35 bse that needs a home.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 AM
Rocketman612

Originally Posted by wagspe208
Reviving an OLD thread.
Is anyone still doing these with nitro engines?
I have a jett 35 bse that needs a home.
Hello,
Sorry for the late response. The Outlaw was designed around a Webra 32 or OS 32 with a Mouse Can pipe. Your Jett would be a good performer. Good luck and post some photo's

Pete
Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 AM
u2builder

I am planning to scratch build an Outlaw this winter so am subscribing.

I have time and hopefully plenty of basa.

I have "gotten into" foamy wings but a balsa Delta seems like a good project.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:32 PM
wagspe208
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by u2builder
I am planning to scratch build an Outlaw this winter so am subscribing.

I have time and hopefully plenty of basa.

I have "gotten into" foamy wings but a balsa Delta seems like a good project.
PM me if interested in a short kit.
or email, [email protected]