Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

first fast plane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:10 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first fast plane?

I don't know if i should get a hotliner or one of these delta wing planes. If i get a delta wing, what is one that will go pretty fast but can be landed by a human? do i need special servos? do i need a hot engine or will a standard engine work?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: first fast plane?

Hi ELECTRIFAN, I don't think you can get an easier to build, launch, fly and land plane than a DIAMOND DUST with either a WEBRA or O.S. .32. Expect excellent performance with the stock muffler and an APC 8x8 prop. This is one of the most impressive and simple to put together planes ever. I just use standard servos with mine.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:12 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Yeah u cant beat the Diamond Dust. It is a fast plane on what ever engine you put on it. It moves along really good and also slows down to almost a crawl yet still controllable.

If you do decide to go to a hot engine use high torque servos only. Standard will work at slow speeds but at WOT they don't have enough power to work. I found this out the hard way
Old 01-04-2005, 09:55 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Your question kinda depends on "How fast" you are looking to go, and what your current experience/skill level is.

In general, the Diamond Dust mentioned above is an excellent choice. Quick, light, inexpensive. Put just about any engine you want on the nose, and it will move along quite well.

For simplicity, you may want to consider one of the Q-500 designs as your first "fast plane". There are a few kits out on the market, some good plan sets for scratch building.... and a few good ARF's that will keep you happy. matneymodels.com, lcsperformance.com and Lanier can provide kits. (sometimes you can pick up a Doddger, Scat Cat or similar Q-500 kit in the marketplace too) Great Planes Viper and the Lanier Predator are both pretty good for ARFs. The Sonic 500 from hobby people is a pretty good ARF for getting started too.

A properly set up Lanier predator..... with a properly broken-in Thunder Tiger .40 and a basic APC 9x6 up front can approach 120 mph. (this is what is raced in the 424 Q-500 racing class). In this configuration, sport servos are ok.

Any of the Q-500 designs make good entry-level speed aircraft. They are VERY stable.... aerobatic when you desire..... and properly trimmed and balanced that simply float in for landing. Any engine from a good .32 up to a sport .46 or .50 engine will give you pleanty of speed and performance. The engines have a throttle too....... its easy enough to throttle back for a while if needed. If you want the maximum performance, bolt on something on the order of a Jett .50 SS setup, and you have a plane that will easily exceed 150 mph. When you get to that level, servo selection should be done a bit more carefully. We can help with that

Bob
Old 01-04-2005, 10:03 AM
wdennie

i have a diamond dust it is my first delta and i had never flown one before so i didnt know what to expect so to be on the safe side i built one out of 2mm coroplast, it has all the same dimensions and airfoil i did this so I would not destroy a good plane till i learn how to fly it and get used to the speed ,well i had a guy at our field fly it flrst to trim it and see how it did it flew great he said it flew like the real one i got ahold of it and real impressed of how easy it flys so now im gonna put the real one together and fly it, but as for being opinionated on other fast planes i cant because this being the only one ive flown but the diamond dust is a good flyer and will float in on a landing if you dont think one of these is what you want i heard the outlaw is a good flyer i have seen the designer Jerry smith fly his at aflyin last6 year and it flew real well . i would try a diamond dust they are fast and i think land like a trainer. i have an old bb Magnum 45 pro on mine with standard servos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61064.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	210504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66848.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	210505  
Old 01-04-2005, 11:08 AM
robert92679

ORIGINAL: electricfan

If i get a delta wing, what is one that will go pretty fast but can be landed by a human?
I believe that landing the Diamond Dust is the easiest part of the flight.

Launching it for the first time and getting it trimmed out is the tricky part.

If landing is your concern, then the DD is the way to go. We have more than a few speed planes at my field, and the 'others' (Magnums, Patriots, pylon-types) all land much hotter than a Dust. The delta wing will slow way down and settle right onto the runway.

Just remember, if it's seems too fast at first, you can throttle back. I've seen guys launch at WOT and get so wrapped up trying to keep up with the plane, that they forget about that stick on the left.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I have seen a upgraded Hotliner fly and it was impressive- but it was electric and VERY expensive $1,000 Do you wanna go nitro or electric? Because that will help define your options---

I am a huge patriot fan but realize the Quickee arfs (As Bob27 mentioned) and DD are cheaper and easier to set up-

What equipment do you already have?

Cheers,
James
Old 01-04-2005, 01:30 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to maintain orientation with the delta wings planes?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

I have several high speed planes including a Diamond Dust and a Lanier Shrike 40. I really have to pay close attention when flying the Dust, as it can be difficult to tell its orientation at a distance. I believe that the Dust's main problem is that it's fins are small and hard to see at a distance (I defintely recommend making the bottom a different color from the top). I feel more comfortable flying my Lanier Shrike 40, as in sideview I can more clearly see its larger Vertical fins. For a given engine though it is slower than my Dust because it does weigh over a pound more.

Another interesting thing about flying Deltas is their tendency to "pancake" in for a landing (they tend to have a high sink rate). You will need all the elevator you can gt for the landing and thus I recommend setting up dual rate with high throws on the elevator for your landing. My Shrike glides MUCH better than my Dust. (Once I go to idle on the Dust, it starts heading down RIGHT away, I need lots of elevator to arrest the sink rate)

I have videos of my Shrike here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2227063

If you have high speed the best one is here (40 Megabytes)

http://www.resume-connection.com/ShrikeMontage.mpg

-Mike
Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

well my experience is enough to fly a 23% egde and i also like flying low and fast, so i guess a diamond dust is good?
wdennie, where did you get plans for the diamond dust? I might go with a coroplast design.
the reason I said hotliner is because I already have all the equipment for one, less an rx and a prop. maybe ill get both
I have school now but i have a summer job where i can raise money to get a new plane
thanks for all the replies
Old 01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
wdennie

i got my plans from a friend who bought a kit i just cut my bottom from them plans then made some long diamomd shaped formers from coro and used 1/4 inch dowels for strength and then made two top pieces to cover each side and fold the under the bottom piece and glue it all to gether with the elevons attached the took vynal and covered the open spot in the middle after i put my equipment in it i think all and all it took four from a thought to what you saw if you will pm me your email i wiil send you the plans i have that are for the coro dust but they are a little smaller but i have deminsions for the full size you can use the plans ill send you with the demensions to make the full size one it would be simple