Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Got my F-20 yesterday

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Got my F-20 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:21 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Got my F-20 yesterday

Gary, thanks for your input. The cowel blocks aren't the problem like you were saying I could do without the overlap but still not get the distance I need. If the balance works like the Kangke did I need all the rearward wt I can get, maybe I will push the FW back about .5 then I will have some room to work. I may just make a new FG cowel too. I think the amount of work would be the same and not risk screwing up the fuse.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-08-2005, 01:41 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind, the further you bring the FW back, the tighter the cowl gets.

I can't believe it's going to be nose heavy. [X(] Have you tried taping all the gear in, and checking the CG?

What a bummer to have to make another cowl. If it was me, I'd probably just rework the front to accomodate the cowl that came with it.

Gary
Old 02-08-2005, 04:33 PM
vicman

Oh I can use the cowel... if I can live with a honking gap between the spinner and the cowel nose.[:'(] I may just glass up a band to space it out a little.[:-]
Old 02-08-2005, 10:11 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey vic. Glad to see you got it going on now. I put an OS46AX in mine plenty of room to spare. It was very nose heavy, I have the battery all the way in the back and still one strip of weights tucked inside the exhaust area. Did your rudder pushrod come bent the right way? Mine was bent in the wrong direction, but it still worked out. I am speaking of the actual rod that is attached to the rudder and comes down into the fuse. Take care
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
vicman

Rudder rod OK. I re-glued the servo tray and had a hop in the cheeks getting the tank in but I think it will be ok. Still not sure about what to do with the cowel yet but I won't let the little things stop me. It looks like all my travel will be next week so I may get to test fly sans the cowel this weekend.[8D] If I stay at the pace I currently am on. It looks like I will have my "Revver Brothers" stars and bars in a week or so, got the "tail art" covered just waitin for the wing stuff to get finished.

Just keep workin, just keep workin....

Lear can you post a few close ups of the nose on yours? Thanks.

Should I post a full-up build thread?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:30 PM
vicman

Gary, I am installing the rest of the gear to get an idea on balance and to let my brain think about it for a while. I may just make a ring to go onto the nose of the cowl as a spacer. How ugly can it be?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48473.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	227515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30983.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	227516  
Old 02-10-2005, 05:10 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a plan.....

I guess you could always add (glue) some lite ply "spacers" to bring it uo closer to the back of the spinner. Then simply sand and paint, or cover to match. A "cheat" that would probably go un-noticed to the normal ARF'er.

Or glass it, and then paint. It all depends on how much time you want to spend on it. A real pain, ether way.

Let us know....

Gary
Old 02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
vicman

Yeah, I think I will go the cheater route.[8D] The hinge rods are also a little fiddly but they are the price you pay for hidden links, and ok by me. The servo tray works out to fit the servos pretty well, but the manual says nothing about radio/battery placement[]. Lear, where did you put your stuff? Lemme see a few pics of your cowel and radio gear layout please.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Here is the answer Vic-

Do NOT run 30% in that Rossi

&

Glass the center section of the wing-

RZR
P.S. Your hand looks older than mine
Old 02-11-2005, 07:57 AM
vicman

Do NOT run 30% in that Rossi
Truly "sage"advice from a seasoned expert.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Its an MVVS BTW.

These hands have a mere three seasons beyond yours. It may look a little older due to catching on fire once and getting squashed another time. Lefty has not had the easy life be sure.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:03 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Vic,

since you have a removable cowl.... how about using a backplate mount rather than the glass filled ?
[link=http://www.lcsperformance.com/_engmt/2choice.html](click here)[/link]

Bolts on using the backplate bolts - will move the engine as far aft as possible
(which is why they were sorta standared equipment when we started using Rossi .40s on scat cats..... arrrg they were noseheavy)

Or does the nose gear install on the engine mount ? Blind nut install or threaded inserts a problem?

Bob
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
vicman

Good idea Bob, but it wont get me the clearance I need.[:@] If you look at the pic, I have already counter bored the face of the mount to compensate for the backplate bolts. The steering arm is back in the fuse and not a prob. I think I am just going to dummy a ring onto the nose and paint it to match...black and white checkers.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Razor-RCU

Vic- I was kidding- see my other post on the Speed thread about the 2 things I DO know--- (Hint: 1 was about 30% in the Rossi's)

Guess you did not see that--

I know what kind of engine that is--
Old 02-11-2005, 09:20 PM
vicman

I saw the other post.I just figured your old eyes were letting you down.. I on the otherhand have brand spankin new eyes![sm=stupid.gif] After wearing glasses for longer than you have been using oxygen I got Lasik. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself! Unbelievable, words can't describe! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Razor-RCU

Bob- Any new projects coming about? Hope all is well- interesting Avatar kinda looks like a Master Airscrew prop. though-

Vic- When you say the rods are "fiddly" do you mean there is play in them? Or a poor design? That caught my eye--- I'll bet the RX Batt. has to go back purty far-- just guessing tho
Old 02-12-2005, 10:37 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Razor......

I got tired of not having an Avitar...... I got that one of of the tech instructions page....was about the right size.

Actually, when I made that graphic, it started as the SJ-46 photo, without a prop. I drew it in. So its a Master-Nebula prop. Sharp, and ya cant see it. I had another version with a finger tip flying off and blood splatter. But we thought that was a bit too.... graphic

Id like to say I have somethign real fast in the works. Lord knows there is enough in the cue. Trying to finish up my Yak and maybe one more plane for display at the booth in Toledo. That is coming up WAY too fast!

This is "our" most recent completion. At least its gonna be fast! Emily has a big bertha just about ready for paint. I guess I get my workbench back when its done.

Name:	Pn36178.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	228295  
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 PM
vicman

We need to keep these two separated.

Name:	Ur52460.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	228501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19811.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	228502  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
vicman

OK Lear! Where did you put your battery?[sm=confused.gif] If I use the 5.75 CG I will need to tow it with a combat streamer[:'(].

Haveblue wants to put a Jett .90 in his? How much lead will that be?

Lear I need a few more pics if you can swing it.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:29 PM
vicman

Got my ground school on this thing done today! I still need to get a better spinner and fuelproof my Revver Bro stickers. I also want to get a 9X8 prop so I can get some proper speed out of this thing. I may need to back up on the prop so it will haul that D*** lead I had to add to the tail[:'(]. BTW Razor I love my MVVS .45!!! What kind of tach do you use? I ordered a globee the other day.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:54 PM
HaveBlue

hey Vicman, the globees arent that accurate, in fact I think I will sell mine,I get large fluctuations in readings, TNC use to be one of the best but I think they are out of production, a few people say the hangar 9 mini tach is pretty accurate but you have take a reading fairly close , anyway check out the RCU engine forum and look under tachometers theres a bit of information on the best one to get or opinions on that subject anyways
Old 03-06-2005, 06:07 PM
HaveBlue

While I'm here, my F20 arrived , it will not be all that feasible for the JETT90l, soooo... how does an OS vx .46 df engine sound, or a Eurotech .50v1, I think that might be the go, as it will save weight, this model is in at 2.6 kilo's or about 5.7 lbs so for the sake of keeping it light I'll run it with a smaller but higher revving engine, another feature I like is that four of the six servo's are very close to their respective control surface, as soon as my servo's get here and I can finish her I'll post some pic's .
most of the kits Ive seen come in some form of red covering or another, but looking up sites of the real f20, which show many in black sure makes it look menacing!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
vicman

The red is common to the A-5, virtually the same as far as we care, and in use by the swiss. Do you have the same kit as me? There is no way a Jett .90 would go in the front of mine[sm=tired.gif]! You will be fine with the .46 or a .50. Keep in mind my issues with the cowel and CG. I used a 1600 Mah battery and still had to put a brick of lead in the tailcone to get her balanced![:@] Anyway the ground testing went pretty well this afternoon, I got thru it without killing any naeigborhood pets or destroying mailboxes this time.[>:][X(] Weather permitting and I can find a 9X8 prop and correct spinner adapter I should puncture big blue next weekend.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 PM
fly-guy-ty
My Feedback: (1)

Hey vicman, just wondering if you or haveblue contacted Sportsman Aviation about the cowl problem? Maybe they are aware of this and have a replacement part, or maybe if enough of us call to tell them the cowl is to short for the application the will produce a replacement part!!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Razor-RCU

Vic- I would be happy to send you a 9x8 if need be--

also, My tach is the Magnum mini-tach works VERY well
Old 03-07-2005, 10:30 AM
HaveBlue

when I initially looked at getting an F20, there were only two kits here to choose from, a pheonix .40 -.46 or a modeltech one which was for a .60, I ended up opting for the pheonix kit for a couple of reasons but mostly due to review i read about the modeltech version Vs an article in a mag about the phoenix..so hence I downscaled on all fronts , the jett90l would have been ok in the modeltech, but definitely not this one..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.