Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Ultra Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra Sport

Here is my re/re-furbished Ultra Sport 60 size. I originally got this from a buddy a few months ago in very rough shape. I strip the old covering off of it. Rebuilt parts of it and recovered in this red scheme. Installed a new engine and I had a yellow tail on it and decided I would change it out after I flew it for a while.

Well, I have flown it all this fall and what a super plane so I replace the yellow back end with red to match the rest of it. Performance is something that has to be seen with a Jett .90L on it. Underneath is a set of Spring Air retracts with Robart struts.

For those not familiar with this thing. It came as a kit and Arf form. I would encourage anybody who wants to get into propjets to put one together in either 40 or 60 size. They are still around if you look hard enough. With the right engine, it will scrream along with the best of them.

(I know where there are two of these kits avaible right now. Send me a PM)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76828.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	199316  
Old 12-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Sport

Nice plane, Snoop....[sm=thumbup.gif]

FBD.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Moon Unit
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good. I'm just finishing my Ultra Sport 60. I have a OS61FX. Bit of extra work sanding. This is my next step up for flying skills then it's off to a Regal Eagle DF. Should be a blast. Everyone says this plane really performs well.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:20 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snoop,

The GP Ultra Sports were available in ARF form in the 40 size. You also had your choice of Red or Blue. The 60's were kits. Nonetheless, I imagine the combo you're running would be awesome. I've flown the 40's, and the 60's and they fly great, and don't mind when you throw some power at them.

The good thing about the 60 size kits, is they don't have, or come with all that cheap Great Planes plastic crap.

Looks good!!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I have been running a 12/7 on it the last 20 flights or so. I just orderd an 11/11 Apc Acoording to my numbers it should pull even better.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:03 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the APC 11x8....have you tried that yet?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Well after 4 months I finally have this engine nailed for this area. I run a 12/8apc and turning 12,300rpms. This is good considering the altitude. I only have about 15 flights on this engine and finally getting it dialed in right. For those interested , I did this. Dialing it in as and normal engine was not working. Usuall once you hit that lean spot you leave it or back off just a tad and test it by pointing the plane up and it goes lean and your set.

This was working on the ground and sounded right on but everytime I get in the air it gets rich and sounds horrible. So today , I made note of the needle position on the first lean area. Then leaned it until it quit and made note of that. Then went back to the first lean are which is where I have been flying it and then leaned it more another 1/4 turn. You should of heard it. It was screaming without missing a beat.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Ultra Sport is a great plane. I have the 40 size and have tried several engine on it with great results. It will do it all very well. I have use the OS61FX, Saito 91, Saito 80. Out of all these engine the 61 is the best for the plane but they will all hall it around the sky well. It is interesting to because none of these engine over power the plane. I think the airplane could handle a little bigger engine. I have about 75 to 100 flights on the plane and love it. I have just recently put the 61 back on. It likes to swing a 12X8. It will unload in the air very well with this prop. I think the 40 size would hold a 90 size engine without any major problems except hauling the fuel that would be needed. How could I install a larger tank in this plane?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:55 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I'm rebuilding the front half of my US40 fuse, which augered in 12 years ago. Putting my old fox50 in it.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:00 PM
buzzingb

Have any of you installed a 90 on the Ultra Sport 40? If so please tell me how you did this. I am thinking of putting a Jett 90 on mine but need advice on how to haul the fuel required of this engine. The Saito 91 will hauls this plane over 100 but I am seeking more speed from this plane plus I like the high revs of a two stroke.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Seriously consider this prop 11/11 APC pattern prop. Honestly I believe that 12/8 is too much for the 61fx. Give it a shot before you switch out. According to my formula, the 11/11 apc will make a very significant difference

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

Ultra Sport is a great plane. I have the 40 size and have tried several engine on it with great results. It will do it all very well. I have use the OS61FX, Saito 91, Saito 80. Out of all these engine the 61 is the best for the plane but they will all hall it around the sky well. It is interesting to because none of these engine over power the plane. I think the airplane could handle a little bigger engine. I have about 75 to 100 flights on the plane and love it. I have just recently put the 61 back on. It likes to swing a 12X8. It will unload in the air very well with this prop. I think the 40 size would hold a 90 size engine without any major problems except hauling the fuel that would be needed. How could I install a larger tank in this plane?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:30 PM
buzzingb

I agree with you snoop about the 11X11 but I don't have one at present but will order one soon. However the OS 61 can handle this prop with authority as far as getting into the power band of the engine in the air. I have run many props on the 61 and this one will give the most speed in air. I ran the 61 on a SIG Something Extra for a year. It will pull the Somethin Extra well also.