Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Viper vs. Diamod Dust

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Viper vs. Diamod Dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viper vs. Diamod Dust

Hey guys. I'm looking for a fast plane to fly around the club. (sport not competition) And want to know what you think about the two planes and how they compare to each other. Also Thinking about power plants- either Jett or OS. I know the Jett will be faster, but I have a lot of experience with OS engines and can vouch for their longevity and easy operation; never owned a Jett, but hear good things about them. What's your recomendation?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:04 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Viper vs. Diamod Dust

Both will go fast, the DD will go faster. The DD is a cheap, easy to build kit. If you want to go faster the DD with a Jett is the answer, if the cost is too high check out a MVVS Q500 motor for the dust. If you want to go fast easy get the Viper and put a .46FX with a pipe on it, a little slower but cheap and easy.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:09 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either aircraft will keep you happy.

As noted, the DD is a unique aircraft, somewhat inexpensive, and very quick. It also lends it self toward using a rear exhaust engine should you choose (but is just as happy with a side exhaust). The Q-500 designs provide a bit more of a conventional aircraft to work with, and outstanding smoothness in the air.

Engine wise, you will find the Jett engines are one of the most user-friendly engines you will ever own. Price wise, keep in mind it comes with the tuned exhaust, chromed sleeve, leak free remote needle, and excellent bearings. Owner tech support is second to none.

Nothing wrong with OS. Good engines. The timing responds well to a pipe system or a tuned muffler.

My personal econo-favorite for sport speed is the Thunder Tiger .46 with the Jett-Stream muffler added.

Utilize a Jett .46 or .50 on either aircraft, and easily "exceed" 130 mph. Prop selection is a bit different depending on the aircraft you choose. I'm sure some of the DD owners and other pylon pilots here can provide their experiences. There are vast archives in this forum for engine selections, and info on the DD and some of the pylon aircraft use for sport-speed.

For reference, an ARF Preditor or Viper set up for 424 sport racing (using a properly broken in TT.40 pro, stock muffler and APC 9x6 prop) will fly in the 120mph range.

I hope this is helpful
Bob
Old 02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Jett 50 with the shorter SS muffler will turn a APC 9x8 1500 rpm faster then a APC 9x7 on a 46FX with a UT tuned muffler. The Jett is just as user friendly and more durable. The Dust is noticeably faster then a Q-500 plane with the same engine and has a much higher WOW factor.