Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot with OS 50 RPM? with Tower Muffler

Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Patriot with OS 50 RPM? with Tower Muffler

Hi, I am going to unleash a Patriot with OS 50 SX utalizing tower muffler. I am not sure what to expect with this engine. I ran the engine three time with 10X6 and it appeared to run around 16500.
I am thinking of going with 9X8 to start. If anyone has and experence with OS 50 ring in because I am going to order props soon. I have seeen this pane fly with OS VR 46 and was impressed. I don't think the OS 50 will pull this ship fast enough for me but am going to give it a try to start.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Patriot with OS 50 RPM? with Tower Muffler

Well I think the OS-50SX and Tower muff. is a pretty good choice! (I have the exact same set-up) My SX turned an APC 9x8 just below 16K on 15% Powermaster, OS-8, 1,500 ASL 70 deg.

I am currently flying the Patriot with a modified APC that is about 9.5x8 and it seems to be the perfect match!

I have to admit though that while it flies VERY well, it is nothing compared to my last Pat. that had a Jett-50/9x9 APC

Keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25639.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	217206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74183.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	217207  
Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 PM
buzzingb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Razor, I know it won't fly with the Jetts. I am just looking for decent power untill later. I eventually will go with a Jett50 or 90 if I like the way it flies. I think the Jett 90 may be the power plant for this plane as large is it is. It seems too heavy and large to me. I was surprised at how large the fuse is. I wonder if anynone has trimmed this airplane down to size. It'a way to large. The wing is even too thick for me. I may try building one useing the plans and trimming it down a tad. If anyone has knowledge of this post info.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:44 PM
buzzingb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an OS 46FX that has about 15 gallons trhough it. I recently swaped to the Tower Muffler and saw a dramatic difference. The engine is on Ultra Stick with 12X4 prop. It will unload in the air like a Pylon RAcer with tuned pipe. I set the high needle rich on the ground and it seems to lean up in the air. It pushes the Ultra Stick to its limit in the air.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never thought of the Pat. as a particularly large airplane... 48" span--- I would leave off the intakes though-

Did you see that guy in the Jett Hall Of Fame with the Pat. ARF and Jett-90?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:00 PM
buzzingb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Compared to the other 40 size airplanes I have the Patriot is much heavier and longer. The fuse is much thicker and has more area to induce drag. The wing looks descent but it is thick for speed purposes. Keep in mind that I am not an expert, I am only comapaing to other 40 size panes that I have experience with. I think it is the perfect design if the wing and fuse were thiner (smaller) for speed purposes. I fly with a man that has one that he has flown for many year and it has proven to be very rugged and flight worthy. He as an os vr 46 that spinns over 23,000 on the ground and really unloads in air.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

Hi, I am going to unleash a Patriot with OS 50 SX utalizing tower muffler. I am not sure what to expect with this engine. I ran the engine three time with 10X6 and it appeared to run around 16500.
I am thinking of going with 9X8 to start. If anyone has and experence with OS 50 ring in because I am going to order props soon. I have seeen this pane fly with OS VR 46 and was impressed. I don't think the OS 50 will pull this ship fast enough for me but am going to give it a try to start.
I had a good time with my Patriot. Generally flew in the 120 mph range in level flight with the Jett 50 up front. Probably could have gone a bit faster, but I was usually too lazy to change the prop

You should be satified with the OS50 in the patriot. Keep it light, keep it clean. Leave off the inlets. The 9x8 prop is a good choice to start with.

The tower muffler is not a true tuned device, but it has a tuned effect that kicks in between 15K and 17K rpm. Prop in that range, and it will provide some decent boost.

If you need something faster, take a look at the Rifle thread. Angel makes a real nice aircraft.

Beyond that.... hunt down some retired QM40 and F-1 birds. Put a sport .46 or .50 in the nose and enjoy

This is Bob Holmes' ARF Patriot, noted above. SJ-90L with a 9.75x12 prop (cut from 11x12) at over 16K rpm. Front end was reinforced a bit, engine mount custom made. Bob has built some incredible speed machines over the years - most of them specialized for the job. This particular aircraft was retired some time ago.

Gene Greatti was working on installing a FIRE BSE-90 in a Patriot 40. Im not sure how that project progressed. I will have to check and see.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:03 PM
buzzingb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob Holmes has a very nice looking Patriot. I think it would take a 90 to get this plane really moving. I want to try this eventually after I get mine in the air with OS 50. This airplane has so much drag that it is going to take a large engine just to pull it much over 100mph. I want to get to the 150 mark.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 PM
buzzingb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had my wife holding the Patriot whild I reved up the engine during break-in she said that she couldn't take the noise. I wish I had an engine that would scream so loud that it would shatter the windows of our house.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

I had my wife holding the Patriot whild I reved up the engine during break-in she said that she couldn't take the noise. I wish I had an engine that would scream so loud that it would shatter the windows of our house.
Get a hold of an old Formula 1 Nelson or Jett. That will do the trick. Make sure you and the wife at least wear high quality ear protection, or your ears will suffer a fate similar to the windows (definetaly not kidding here).
Old 01-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Bob.R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob - what kind of speeds did Holmes see? Did he do anything special with the cut-down 11x12 beyond shaping the tips? Assuming my ship survives the maiden flight with a 10x10, I may be looking for a higher pitch prop.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He was claiming above 200 mph, verified by local law enforcement.

Knowing the capabilities of the engine and aircraft, I assumed this was level flight entry out of an extended power dive.

He has some of the speed aircraft that were even faster.

From what I understand, he simply cleaned the tips, and was also very precise in balancing the prop.