Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

New Speeders Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New Speeders Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speeders Questions

Well, my Shrike 15 Norvel 25BB combo has made it's first flights. I started with an APC 9x6 to keep it slow and get a feel for it. Even with that, it's making passes around 120MPH (covering our 500ft runway in about 3 seconds). I was actually shocked at the speed on a 9x6. Now the questions start:

-I seem to keep setting the high end richer and richer as it really unloads on a pass. I'm way richer on top than what I would normally set an engine. Is this normal with flying speed and really unloading the engine?

-What prop is the best speed fit for the little Norvel 25. It was turning the APC 9x6 14.2k on the ground set pretty rich. I would say it's probably unloading in the 16-17k range now.

-Would a pipe give more back pressure and help keep the engine from going too lean? It was sagging on extended vertical lines.

Help a speed newbie out here. BTW: the light little Norvel 25 helped keep the weight down enough that it glides fairly nice for landing. It's a good combo. And the little Norvel seems like a stout engine.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:56 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speeders Questions

I think Norvell recommends a 9x4 prop for the bushing 25 engine. Thats what I use on mine and see between 16 and 17k on the ground with 15% fuel.

Remove the baffle from the muffler and drill out the outlet to .25" diameter, it has a little resticter cast in there. This should get you another 500 rpm.