Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Diamond Dust as first speed plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust as first speed plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 01:00 AM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Dust as first speed plane?

Hi-
I'm planning my winter building schedule. On my list is a fast glow ship of some kind. Would a DD work? I thougt first to try a Shrike, but I've read that the glide is poor. And I'd like to be able to slow down for a breather from time to time.

I've flown some fast electrics. I have a hotliner and a way overpowered (3 turn brushless) Simple 400. Neither one gives my any problems in flight . Although landing the hotliner is hit of miss. (sorry)

I'm also wondering about launching. Does the DD need a helper to launch? Cause I can't count on a helper at my club most times. Can I add UC to the DD?

Thanks
Mum
Old 09-04-2002, 10:39 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Mum,

The Dust should work for you. Start out with a .36 sized or basic .46. You might need a helper for the first few flights until trimmed and to help you get your launch down. Also, consider the ProJeti reviewed here. It is an impressive electric.

Mark M.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'll tell it like it is. Here is my Shrike .40 with a TT46pro, 9/7 APC, Ultra thrust Muffler. It turns 17000rpm. I add a little Klotz to my 15% cool power. I'm not a total idiot. Anyways it comes in at about 4lbs. This is a 120mph combo on a Kmart budget. Flys well but you need all the elevator you can get for landings. This is very common on this plane. It is a bit of a lead ball on landings. My buddy has a DD. He runs a Rossi .45? or something thereof. The DD weighs in around 3lbs. It floats in for landings like a balloon. You put a 46pro or 46fx-whatever with a tuned muffler or pipe and it is going to scream. No need to get some $300 engine. Maybe later but not now. Go this route to see if you like the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24452_8393.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	15547  
Old 09-04-2002, 06:22 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

DD as a winter project? is winter a fortnight long there?
you can slow it down for a breather, i get nice long runs on my 1/2 tunned MVVS 40 and its keeps up with the quickest planes... just
Old 09-04-2002, 06:33 PM
mumblety-peg

Well, winter is a bit longer than that. But my list is rather long. And after todays mishap with the hotliner I think I'm going to move the DD up to the top of the list. I can't get the hang of landing that thing. And I'm getting tired of fixing it.

BTW, how do I launch a DD?