Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike 40 question

Old 01-25-2005, 03:07 PM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Shrike 40 question

I'm finishing up a shrike 40 and was wondering if it would effect flight performance if I didn't taper the ailerons (let the 2" aileron stock stay even all the way out to the wing tips) and also would it fly OK with the tail fins mounted straight up. I know it's going to be on the heavy side but this one is going to have a trike landing gear and i'll be using a TT 46 with Mac's tuned pipe and probably an APC 10x9. I know it won't be as fast as some but it still should boogy!!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Shrike 40 question

I run my ailerons right out to the edge. I have runners under my plane and belly land it. I have know idea how it will take off. Maybe you can handlaunch it and land with the gear down? They are notoriously nose heavy and running out of elevator is real easy on landings. I take care of this by making my approaches shallow.

You know what, the colors don't do much either. The only thing that keeps me straight out their are those back fins
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50109.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	220522  
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice looking Shrike there Snoop. There's a guy in our club that has one with the gear like i'm putting on and it takes off and lands nicely. He has a 40 TT on his and it screams. I'm probably going to put the battery in the rear hatch that I cut out to help balance it.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have seen shrike 40's with the tail fins angled in rather then out and the owner says they fly fine. I think it would look better if the ailerons are tapered towards the wing tip. I over sanded the leading edge of the ailerons and had flutter untill I corrected the problem. The leading edge of the ailerons need to be atleast as thick as the trailing edge of the wing it mates to. 10x9 on a 46?? Too much prop. I would think a 9x7 or 9x8 would be good for that engine on a Shrike 40.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run a simple TT46pro and a Ultra Thrust muffler. A 9/7APC turns 17,000rpm and its a mover.