Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Speed on the cheap???

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Speed on the cheap???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 PM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed on the cheap???

I wanted a few of you to recommend a good fast plane that doesn't cost a pile of money, I have several standard servos and the receiver with the needed batteries, I also have a os 46la and a 40la, (let me know if they aren't any good for going fast please) I have been flying or several years and have flown a plane at 125 so I think i have a pretty good handle on controlling a fast plane but have no idea which one i should be looking at. I would like to be in the 125-150 range with out spending a huge amount of money, I can build a kit but would prefer a ARF...Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Speed on the cheap???

Have at it Razor[sm=lol.gif]!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Diamond Dust is a pretty good bang (sorry poor choice of words. ) for your buck.
http://www.diamonddustrc.com/Diamondd.htm
Old 01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Sonic or the Viper, or the Predator Quickie 500's will go real fast
with those motors....and they have wheels if your not flying off grass.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56072.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	221326  
Old 01-27-2005, 03:05 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Econonmy speed - not all that much of a fantisy - up to a point.....

As Dave noted, the Q-500 route is a pretty quick way to speed.

One of the ARF quickies or a kit built one would be ideal. Any of them, set up 424 racing configuration will run at about 120mph (ie: Thunder Tiger 40 Pro, stock exhaust, 9x6 apc prop, 3.5lb aircraft - engine generally set up at around 16-16.5 rpm on the ground). You can utilize your full size sport servos, rx, battery equipment. For sport use, the plane will not mind an additional 4-6 oz. They fly fine at 3.75lbs. The planes are easy to build, very smooth and well behaved, aerobatic, and land slowly if trimmed properly.

Same aircraft with a TT46 pro and a 9x7 (at about 16K rpm) will get up closer to 125-130. Any of the inexpensive "50" size engines (mag, TS, ASP, etc) will perform in this range too.

The Q-500 designs with an LA40/46 (properly broken in and set up well) will approach 100 mph on a 9x6. Maybe a bit more on a good day. There were (are) some regional racing series that used the FP and LA engines as their spec engines.

A Diamond Dust with as little as a .32 size engine can get over 100 mph. I would imagine you could do better than that with an LA40. Some of the Dust owners here can give you some speed information with the sport engines.

Beyond that......we may cross the line of an 'economy' setup.... (lots of engine and aircraft combinations)

Getting up to 150 mph requires some power and the right aircraft. There are a number of well document 120-170 mph Diamond Dusts, Magnums, Quickies and such. Look through the treads.

For reference, a full blown AMA 428 Q-500 (modern, composite) with a Jett/Nelson .40 engine typically flys in the 160-170 mph range.

The same Q-500 with a Jett SJ-50 will perform at about the same speeds - just has a more user friendly engine with a throttle.

Thats about the scope of things
Bob
Old 01-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Looks like it has been covered- I was gonna SIG Kadet II
Old 01-27-2005, 06:55 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Looks like it has been covered- I was gonna SIG Kadet II
Just for goofs one day, I should put the QM engine on a Kadet

Wouldn't be fast..... probably wouldn't even get off the ground, but would sure get some attention !

(now i've definately been at work too late...... its 7pm.... and thats starting to sound like a real fun idea!...... one of the old 7.25x7.5 wood blade screaming at 25k rpm........... HAHAHAHAAAA!!! Good lord...... what have I done to myself here...)
Old 01-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

I'm no expert in this matter, but there is a Lanier Shrike .40, it may not be what your looking for, speed wise with that engine, but something to consider and tinker with.
Joe
Old 01-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote]

Just for goofs one day, I should put the QM engine on a Kadet

Wouldn't be fast..... probably wouldn't even get off the ground, but would sure get some attention !

(now i've definately been at work too late...... its 7pm.... and thats starting to sound like a real fun idea!...... one of the old 7.25x7.5 wood blade screaming at 25k rpm........... HAHAHAHAAAA!!! Good lord...... what have I done to myself here...)
[/quote]

Hmmmm I could take the ST.51 out of my girlfriends Hobbico superstar.40 and put in one of my Jettsporrt.50
Old 01-27-2005, 10:39 PM
freebird1

I have the Viper, sonic 500, and the predator. I am building the sonic 500, so can not say much about it, but the predator and Viper are excellent and cheap. The viper is very well build and flies very fast. float forever, but at high speed. The predator is not quit as fast, but float good while bleeding off speed better. Get a viper and get someone that has flown v tails to take her up first. Not to say you can not handle it, but the quickness is a surprise. I have a Rossi Q500 in my viper and I have a blast. Fastest at my field by far.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:03 PM
vicman

[sm=stupid.gif] I had a Rossi .46 in an avistar till it tore the wing apart.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Bobs right it got alot of attention.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Hard to find those "Rossi-46's" there Vic! Is it more powerful than the Rossi-45?

Did you really "Rossi-ize" an Avistar? That is awesome!

I also love how Bob has a Jett engine available at the drop of a hat--- what a nice feeling that must be! I would (after a 3rd of a bottle of Belvedere Vodka) have profiles with Jett-50's in them, a Funtana-40 with a Jett-76, and one of my patriots would be Jett-90 equipped.

I suppose I need to get a Viper or something for the next time I fly with Gary and Flyboy Dave--- I think my Webra-50GT would be a fine choice... The Jett-50 is busy on my Whiplash for the time being---

1Fish: You have received great advice from these other folks here... do you fly off pavement? Do you prefer Quickie or delta etc.

Keep us posted!
James
Old 01-28-2005, 01:35 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Bob, a QM 40 engine at +25K will melt the covering where the fuselage contacts the wing.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:14 AM
vicman

.45, .46 whatever it takes[sm=bananahead.gif] I'm on my third glass of CC. Yep, it was bout three years ago. It was still a dog but it got off the ground in about 3ft.. The thing sounded like it was going mach1 but may have hit 70. Then well you know...[&:].

I also had a .46la in a JKAerotech FW 190. That was stupid even for me.[sm=stupid.gif]
Old 01-28-2005, 09:33 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Bob, a QM 40 engine at +25K will melt the covering where the fuselage contacts the wing.
Maybe so. Might resonate the rubber bands too Would have to do a good potting job with a matched silocone layer. (like the quickies)

I remember one time long ago when someone talked me into trying Alumuium wing bolts on my F-1. Friggin bolts backed out. Plane flew ok, but when I got down one bolt was gone and ...... yuck...... it had burnt the center section. Never used a metal bolt again.

James....... thought came into my head that I still have one remaning 1996 (R1) QM40 engine laying about. Not much use for racing any more. Had it in my airshow demo plane for a while. Still runs very well. Head button if its sister engine is in your SJ-50 (45?)
Old 01-28-2005, 12:02 PM
1fish

Wow guys! So much information, it looks like I can get together a Diamond Dust for about 100.00 using the parts I already have and get a pretty good screamer with a potential of 100-115 mph flight then when I get into it, add a faster engine and really have a true 150 mph plane.
I have a few questions, the OS 46 LA has a stock muffler, is it worth it to buy a tuned pipe, how much more will I get from it? Are standard plastic gear servos enough for this plane? And what type of fuel and propeller should I be using?/ Thanks again for all your advice its great!!
Old 01-28-2005, 01:21 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: 1fish

I have a few questions, the OS 46 LA has a stock muffler, is it worth it to buy a tuned pipe, how much more will I get from it?
You will get some boost - but its not worth the hassle. Engine is not pipe timed. The drag of the pipe will more than offset the power gain. Save the $60-80 you would invest in the exhaust system, and put it to good use on another engine in the future.

Are standard plastic gear servos enough for this plane? And what type of fuel and propeller should I be using?/ Thanks again for all your advice its great!!
Std servos are NOT generally ok in a Diamond Dust. Although others may have had some sucess. You need somewhat higher torque servos due to the size, deflections and loads (flutter potential) on the control surfaces. Usually an decent ball bearing servo will work. Metal gears are nice - but sometimes they are not much better than plastic gears.

Use what ever fuel you normally run in the engine. Regular 10-15% nitro is fine. Id suggest going with a 9x7 or 9x8 prop to start with. The LA engines are not really built for rpm (structurally). You want it to run down near 14.5K rpm..... not up at 16 or 17K like some of the other engines. Keep a little load on it. Although, I have seen the engines raced with APC 9x6 props.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

The $15.00 Tower tuned muffler should give the engine a boost.

It's the one for their .46....a screamer. There are other performance
mufflers around, but they get too pricey.

FBD.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Ed Smith

Speed on the cheap? There is no such thing. Speed is directionally proportional to the amount of money spent.

Exactly how fast do you want to go?

Ed S
Old 01-28-2005, 06:30 PM
1fish

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Speed on the cheap? There is no such thing. Speed is directionally proportional to the amount of money spent.

Exactly how fast do you want to go?

Ed S

"Directionally proportional"?

Quoting John Force huh?
So Ed,
it seems that if I spend around 100 with the items I already have I can get a plane that goes around 100 so with your logic does it mean if I spend 200 I can go 200MPH? BTW are we talking Canadian or real dollars here?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 PM
freebird1

1fish, I have a predator with a OS AX 46. It will exceed 120 MPH . To add to the trainer story. I had a Tunder Tiger 60 trainer. It was my third plane that I had. I wanted more speed and put a macs tune pipe on her because the guy that trained me was saying come on and catch up (raceing.)[:@] It had a super tiger 60 and really flew the covering off of the top of one wing.[X(] Not really that fast, but faster than the plane was ment to. I actully got her down, but had some damage. Took the macs off. That was some time ago, and loved ever min. of it, but earlier this month I built a Q500 preadator for him so he might try to stay up with my viper. Little did he know what he started that day with his taunting. since then I have had prop jets, Q500, and my new dealta Force 1. The best all a round plane is the Viper for raw speed and performance.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Ed Smith

1Fish,

Directly proportional to me means:- More speed=More money.

Trouble it it is 20% higher in CDN dollars than in US$.

Ed S
Old 01-29-2005, 06:49 PM
1fish

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

1Fish,

Directly proportional to me means:- More speed=More money.

Trouble it it is 20% higher in CDN dollars than in US$.

Ed S

Ed, I know what directly proportional means I was just trying to figure out what "Directionally Proportional" meant
Also thinking about your formula of spending more and going faster it stands to reason, if you pay 20% more by using Canadian dollars you should be going 20% faster[&:][&:]

Freebird, and all, I know what you mean speed is addicting I flew my buddys Diamond Dust @ 125 or so and it was a great adrinaline rush!!! Thats why I want to get into it, I just dont want to dump tons of money into my first fast plane, when I am sure it will be an on going love affair not just a passing phase then I will build a more expensive plane.
I am going to check into the Viper the price is very reasonable and its an ARf so I could fly it sooner he he he .. Thanks again for all the comments...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Daryl_y

I am mostly done with a Lanier Shrike 40 and will be powering with a Supertigre GS-40. A 50 kit and a 50 dollar engine now thats cheap speed Probably will not rise to the "extreme speed" catagory but will still be way faster than any other sport plane. Anybody know why Lanier makes this thing so damn heavy? spruce spars, 3/32 ribs and sheeting and 1/8 fuse sides all this and the still want you to FIBERGLASS the wing joint. I am a little further along thanthis picture shows (its all framed up now and I swear I could beat someboy with it and not break it.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Chevalier

I ussually get cheap speed at the corner of Washington Ave and MLK. Seriousily guys, there's a hobby shop there....