Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Where is CG on a Clipped Wing Dust????

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Where is CG on a Clipped Wing Dust????

Old 01-30-2005, 11:14 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is CG on a Clipped Wing Dust????

Hi,

Does anybody know what the CG aft and fore points are on a CLIPPED wing Dust? I know that the regular Dust's aft CG point is the bulkhead directly behind the fuel tank, with the fore point about 1/2" or so forward of that.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Where is CG on a Clipped Wing Dust????

How much do you plan on clipping the wings? If it is just a couple of inches on each side, I wouldn't worry about it: the effect is going to be negligable.

If it is more than just a little bit: the DD is a delta. So it has rearward wing sweep. So if you reduce the wingspan without changing the sweep angle you're going to have to move the CG forward a little in order to avoid a tail heavy situation.

To determine the CG on these wings you have to find the MAC (mean aerodynamic chord). You can find the MAC by adding the wingtip chord to the front and rear of the root chord, and adding the root chord to the front and rear of the wingtip chord. Then draw a couple of daigonal lines between the extremities, and where the diagonal lines cross you have your MAC. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is... see drawing.

The CG of your wing is placed in respect to the MAC. So now you can take a look at the plans, determine the MAC of a standard Dust and then see at what percentage of the MAC the CG is placed on a standard Dust.
If you place the CG at the same percentage of the MAC on your modified Dust, you're good to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36806.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	222803  
Old 01-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where is CG on a Clipped Wing Dust????

Good work Rudeboy, That is the best and clearest description I have read without formula and numbers on the diagram.

Ed S