Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Jett Engineeering Too loud for my field

Old 02-12-2005, 09:17 PM
rgscomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jett Engineeering Too loud for my field

Where are you guys flying your jett engines. I havent been able to use mine because of alot of uptight people in our club. It's a sport jett 50 "animal" dubb calls it, and it is a little scarry but i like it!!!! Probably spins a 10X6 arround 17k I havent tached it in a while. Our field is WAY out in the boon docks too. Still anything that is not a regular sport engine gets alot of flack. My .50 has the red annodized aluminum muffler.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:49 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Jett Engineeering Too loud for my field

If your club is like most, leave the airplane in the car until the wind comes up. Most of the wimps disappear once the breeze exceeds 10 or 15 mph.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:03 PM
rgscomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah lots of wimps arround hahah I like flying in 20 mph or whatever is there i dont care if its windy its just harder to land you gotta be on top pf your game
Old 02-12-2005, 11:47 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does your club have a decibel limit? Is there a meter to check the actual decibel level of your motor? If it's just their perception then tell them to pound sand. Just because a motor turns more RPM doesn't necessarily mean that it is louder--just higher pitched (sound).

I agree about the wind. The club I grew up in guys would start getting nervous when the wind started to blow about 5 mph. Then the parking lot would clear if it hit 10 mph. Learning to fly in the wind is FUN!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:53 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very good points made here! The wind seems to create an instant dividing line between the 2 main groups of flyers out there! The unspoken message is," your model makes me feel uncomfortable, please refrain from using it when I'm here". An interesting sidebar here is that there is a core group of guys at our club who are in their 80s, made it through WWII, and LOVE IT when you bring out something BAD *SS like a speed plane!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rgscomputers

Where are you guys flying your jett engines. I havent been able to use mine because of alot of uptight people in our club. It's a sport jett 50 "animal" dubb calls it, and it is a little scarry but i like it!!!! Probably spins a 10X6 arround 17k I havent tached it in a while. Our field is WAY out in the boon docks too. Still anything that is not a regular sport engine gets alot of flack. My .50 has the red annodized aluminum muffler.

check your clubs rules for noise limits and then see if there are good batteries in the DB meter. IF no meter then how can the complainers prove it ? If needed Radio Shack sells a db meter for $20-30.

My Jett sport 50, on a magnum, APC pylon prop 8.75x8.75 does 18k and problem.
MY Jett FIRE 50, on a Whiplash, same prop and the Macs quiet pipe is ok but the "rat" is a bit loud! for about 500-800 rpm more.

Best to start and tune away from the "crowd". And dont fly 180mph on trainer night.

The only engine I had that did blow the clubs 101DB limit was a MVVS.40 and its mini tuned pipe. I added 1.5" of rubber auto fuel line to the end of the mini pipe. It to the bite out of its bark. Now @ 100-100.5 DB they had to shut up. And yes I kept track of their big gassers with the DB meter two of wich had to be remuffled. Love playing their DB game.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We went through this at our field twice in the last 8 years. Ours is city owned with a subdivision about 2 miles away. Every once in a while, somebody gets a hair across their butt and complains. Well the second time, the city came out again with noise meters again and took readings. The readings at the field were close to the limit, of course this depended on the plane.

Then they all went down to the area of the house of who was whining and took readings. The "ambient noise" was higher then what readings they were getting from our field from that same location. You see we were all talking with cell phones and we would have a few key pilots and there planes flying when they took readings.

The meter has to be placed a certain distance from the plane for a reading to be right. For all you know their planes could be high also. So if it were me, and the club has no policies on this and there are no meters and your out in the middle of nowhere, tell themto shut the heck up.

Now with that beingn said, we all but eliminated this stuff here. We do not allow anybody to "tune" or "fool" with their engines near the pilot boxes. If you have engine tuning problems or breaking one in , you take it to a designated area a ways away. Nothing that ticks me/us off more is flying my plane and having some nitwit tuning his engine up right behind me.

If this is more in your line, then you have a solution.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just NEVER ran my SJ-50 up nar the pits... Only when on the runway-- Nobody complained..

But when I ran my Rossi-45 w/mini tuned pipe they whipped out the DB meter and 103 @ 3/4 throttle Forget bout my YS-45 Macs full-pipe and K&B 7.5CC piped, kinda loud---
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34347.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	228842  
Old 02-13-2005, 03:12 PM
rgscomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The advise given sounds good! But I just dont think it would work at my field. We have a field marshal and basically he determines if its too loud. If i tell him to pound sand haha he wont let me fly. I just dont understand thier attitude. They are so afraid of everything. I assume they think if i fly my plane we aregoing to loose our field, so its easier just to tell me not to fly my plane, than do their job correctly.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rgscomputers
..... We have a field marshal and basically he determines if its too loud. .............
Just how does he "determine" what is too loud???

If it is his random opinion then he needs to be challanged!
A DB meter is needed a set fixed distance,your plane, HIS planes, and his buddys planes, record the the data and any plane louded by the meter than is is out too!!!

An R/C field in Mich had the cops called for noise, cops went the R/C field found 2 electric flyers, no gas no glow, at the field. Then they went to see the caller with complaint and a neighbor 2 doors down was cutting trees with a chainsaw.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:58 PM
rgscomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is my pylon racer that I have been flying for almost the past year. I bought it at liberty bell jets for $75 what a steal. I have been flying it with a os 46 AX with a 10X6 and having alot of fun. Oh yeah a tower muffler too. I decided to put my Jett SJ 50 on it finally wich is why I really bought it. We'll see how long they let me stay in the club. SPEED AND NOISE they are going to love it!

hey another thing CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THIS MODEL???>?????

I NEVER REALLY found out what it was. The person I bought it from said it was a shoestring but the shoestrings I have seen are midwing.

Name:	Ro41575.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	228946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48977.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	228947  
Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

See thats why I don't belong to a club.

A man gots to know his limitations , Clint Eastwood. Well so far where I fly ther are no limitatons except for the AMA limitations

Dude I'm sure there is some open land in Delaware where you can go fly your plane and not disturb anyone. Its so funny no matter where I fly, people welcome me, and give me praise.

PS is that long pipe necessary on your plane Razor-RCU ?
Old 02-13-2005, 07:51 PM
rgscomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats the pipe that came with the JETT 50 its not really that long say compared to a tuned pipe

a plane like this requires some seriuos space to fly and land sure i could go and fly it somewhere. The poit is that I shouldnt have to. I am a good pilot have demonstrated this. Alot of the members love to see me fly my speed plane and dont complain about noise just the uptight few including the field marshal which makes it more difficult.

I am just gonna fly it when the RIGHT people are arround.

nuff said thanks guys
Old 02-13-2005, 08:12 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That just completely sucks ! You joined a club and now you can't fly a plane because of the noise it makes, what is the point of the club then? And to think if you fly it and the field marshall happens to show up you may be kicked out of the club.[&o]
Old 02-13-2005, 09:06 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What do your club By Laws and field rules say about sound. If they do not define it then he can't tell you crap. If they define it then all they have to do is take a reading. AMA has rules on how sound is measured. Don't go down without a fight.

Dave
Old 02-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"PS is that long pipe necessary on your plane Razor-RCU ?"

Heavens no! The pipe was not necessary but it was on the K&B 7.5CC (Ducted fan) engine when I got the plane-- It was FAR too loud so I replaced it with guess what? Jett-50

Again, my club DOES NOT like any engine that is remotely "loud", so I am careful how/when I run it up... Even my TT Pro-46 with a Tower muffler raises some eye-brows at my club-

How is this pic?

Name:	Wu59432.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	229112  
Old 02-14-2005, 02:12 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hang in there... and don't go out of your way to make enemies.

Some folks are use to the purr of assorted 4C 90 engines and stuff. Or the quiet hummm of an OS46AX with a 11x7 on the front. Everyone has different tastes. We all run into it sometime along the way.

In actuallity, the jett-stream muffler tends to be a db or so QUIETER than most stock mufflers, with the same prop at the same RPM. (ie, the jett stream installed on an OS46 at 15,000 rpm with a 10x6 is quieter than the stock muffler at that rpm). But with the higher output you obtain, the extra energy and rpm created tends to make it louder again.

Not much you can do about physics. Fuel energy eventually converts into work/noise/heat. A SJ-50 turning 17K + rpm on the ground will unload closer to 18K rpm in the air, and is converting a lot of energy. Plus prop noise is a BIG part of the total noise equation with that sort of RPM too.

Keep the peace with the club membes as best you can. Often a bit of time discussing the engine, aircraft, and the principles behind the whole set up provides some interest where they are more inclined to see it as a thing of "Wonder" rather than as something annoying. You want to develop more of a reputation as an expericed pro, rather than as a regegade who could care less about what others think.

One other thing I do.. I keep some of the cheap foamie earplugs in my car. With a SJ-50 20 feet away during start and launch, you do not require them, but if anyone has any concerns, I hand them out. My QM40 and Q-500 engines will tend to be louder than the SJ-50 is.

If you really want to make your buddies feel very fortunate and very aware that you are sooo considerate with your engine and muffler chocie in that aircraft, try to find someone with a REAL F-1 engine (or even a QM40) to demo at the field

Also, it has been my experience that the "stock muffler" on most giant scale aircraft, everything from the G-62 to the DA150's and such are vastly louder when checked with a DB meter. I really hate to provide any comparison, but this is simply the case. Fortunately IMAC changed their rules, and most folks are taking advantage by using more effective mufflers, and smaller diameter 3 blade props.

Any questions, drop me a PM or email

Bob
Old 02-14-2005, 02:23 PM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One more thing.......

its a bit of a stretch.....

but if you get the urge to really air that plane out, take a drive across the bridge to Bowie MD.

There are some outstanding pylon guys over a PGRC that I can hook you up with. Its about 80 miles if I remember correctly. Might be worth the hr drive a time or two. Easy to get to from Rt50.

Bob
Old 02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
rgscomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your help!

I knew about the PGRC guys and eventually have to get over there. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:09 PM
fly-guy-ty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that looks a lot like a little tony kit plane. I don't remember who made the kit. One fast plane! He runs his with an open header designed for the plane. That is what the concave duct is on the starboard side of the plane just above where your muffler is for.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, it is not a Tony. Wingtips and tail feathers are the wrong shape. Tony has a bubble canopy, not a turtle deck Tony's wing has a straight leading edge.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 AM
Ed Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The model looks like one of the many versions of the Napier-Heston.

Ed S
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That was one of my thoughts too Ed, but the Napier was not really an F-1 plane, and would not have been legal for F-1 model racing. At least, I do not recall anyone ever having one.

I think it may be a Larson kit - trying to confirm