Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Can someone HELP me identify this model!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Can someone HELP me identify this model!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 AM
rgscomputers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone HELP me identify this model!!

It's a pylon racer of some sort. I have been flying it with my OS 46AX w/tower muffler and 10X6 and she grooves pretty good. Despite noise concerns at my field I have decided to put my JETT SJ 50 on it. I purchased this model at Liberty Bell Jets last year for $75 it was in exellent condition. The seller saidit was a shoestring but the only shoestrings I have seen are midwing. Please help me identify this thing finally.

yeah I am a speed freak TOO so add me to the list

whiplash,sonic 500,qm 40 pylon etc etc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24348.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	229246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63076.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	229247  
Old 02-14-2005, 10:50 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Can someone HELP me identify this model!!

Well RGS, I have to agree with you. That is definitely NOT a Shoestring. It kind of looks like a Midget Mustang but the tail is wrong. Perhaps the Form 1 guys will know. How about it HighPlains?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:49 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Looks like F-1 Denight by the tail fins? Fuselage is wrong though. Almost looks like a Toni fuselage with a turtle deck. Shark or Midget Mustang fuselage maybe? Tailfins just dont match. Clearly a recylced F-1 plane of sorts. Maybe a mix-n-match?

I would not recommend using the Master Airscrew prop on the SJ-50. (its likely on there for photo reasons, but just incase)
Old 02-14-2005, 12:10 PM
rgscomputers

Yeah its for foto reasons. I have since put a spinner and a 8.875X9w pylon prop see how that works.

It looks similar to alot of planes but not exactly like any one plane.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:08 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It kind of looks like one of Jerry Small's designs. I think it might be his Estrellita. The cowling looks like Jerry's design and the tail and wingtip shape look right for it. Naturally, I flew one of Jerry's Estrellita for about a year.

It survived a bout of wake turbullence going around turn 2-3. Most airplanes that hit that would snap into the ground so fast that it would be over if you blinked. Always happens to the trailing airplane when following in an arc just outside and above the lead airplane. This caused the bad air from the lead airplane to stall the left wing panel of the trailing airplane and cause an extremely visious snap roll into the ground. This is because the wing is generating about 150+ lbs of lift in the turn, and then you remove half of that lift. That change in force on a 5 lb airplane is remarkable. Unless you raced Formula One, you have NEVER seen an airplane react so quickly.

I was lower than the lead airplane and stalled the right wing panel. The airplane did a tripple snap roll and gained a bit of altitude (from 15 ft to maybe 18). When I landed, I noticed a compression fracture of the right wing panel about 6 " from the fuselage. I flew it about 3 more flights and the fracture grew. The last flight the airplane would roll everytime I pulled elevator in the turns, so the last heat was very wide. I built another wing before the next contest.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:06 PM
daven

Bob,

The q40's put out some nasty air around #3. Trying to pass low and inside is a death wish. I dumped two planes doing that before I learned my lesson. The plane hits the ground so fast you don't know what happened. Lots of Quickees went in at the Winterfest due to this. Sometimes you can be a 1/4 of a lap down and still run into it.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
HighPlains

Dave,

True, but the F1's had a much higher wing loading since they were 5lbs with about 10 fl oz of 65% fuel (which is much heavier than 15% fuel). Calm days are the worst, because the bad air stays on the course. To avoid it when following another airplane, you must turn tighter and stay inside of the lead airplane on the turn.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 PM
rgscomputers

So is it an Estrellita then?? confirmation?

looki found an estrellita! it might be it still not sure,

http://www.icare-rc.com/estrellita.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32988.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	229543  
Old 02-14-2005, 10:14 PM
HighPlains

I think it is. It's been about 17 years since I had one. The cowl parts right behind the engine cylinder, right? Do you have the wheelpants? A picture of them would help ID it.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:06 AM
rgscomputers

I never got the wheel pants. But I searched google and found other estrellitas that were definately different than my plane so the search continues.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM
bob27s

Looks pretty close.

I asked Dub, Mike and Jerry about it. Lets see what I get back.

Bob
Old 02-15-2005, 05:53 PM
rgscomputers

Thanks bob, Tell dubb I love his Jett 50 but he probably has heard that before. I flew the unidentified pylon racer today with the jett 50 apc 8.75X 9W. Tached at 17.5 k on the ground. I have never flown anything that fast it was awesome, almost scary. We kinda felt it was arround 150 mph but who knows. How much does the 50 unload in the air?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:26 AM
bob27s

Sounds like fun. [&:]

17.5K on the ground for launch is about right with a 9W. You are right on the mark.

On that plane, with that prop, the engine is unloading 800-1000 in the air. Looks like that is the standard SJ-50 muffler. Its going to max out around 18.5K rpm anyway. (tuned pipes/mufflers also tend to work like governors).

Keep that combination
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 AM
bem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Old thread but anyway - the plane is an Estrellita. From what manufacturer I do not know but I had an Estrellita (for .40 engine) in the 1970th and it was made by (Ernst) Topp (Fiberline) in Germany. The cowl on that was detachable about 5-6 inch (15 cm) from the nose. Glass fuselage, balsa sheeted foam wing, long stripe ailerons, solid balsa stab and rudder, rather large wheel pants with piano wire type landing gear attached in the wing. Topp (Fiberline) also had a T-Rivets pylon racer in their line of kits (I have some sort of drawing on that).

/Bo