Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Speed Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 02:39 PM
McCrash
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Challenge

One of the guys at my field has suggested a contest this spring/summer ... How fast can you go with a ST 45? Several of us have these engines. So it should be fun. It's not my fault he failed to specify limits on modifications, exhaust, etc. Not that I would cheat (heh,heh,heh) or anything, but as Dale E. said "being second is the first loser. I bought a new ST GS45 for this contest, it is made in Italy. I know one of the competition is using a Nelson Ultrathrust muffler. I'm currently flying a modified Outlaw, and building a Magnum copy. I know the collective wisdom of the speed freaks will prevail!! HELP!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Speed Challenge

I have never owned a ST engine but the UltraThrust or JettStream muffler should add 1000+ rpm. The Outlaw is a good plane but is too fat for serious speed. The Magnum copy would be a good direction to go.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
McCrash

Thanks, My modified outlaws are only 1 1/4 " thick in center down to 1/2" at tips. I also use winglets and no rudder. A much sharper lead edge. My current plane weighs 2.5 lbs ready to fly, has a Webra .32 on a pipe. APC 8 x 8 and 40% nitro. Moves pretty well but, I'm never satisfied, if you know what I mean. Never have had it clocked. The "magnum" copy will have a NACA 64A010 airfoil and carbon fiber on spars. I will keep it as light as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80982.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	245328  
Old 03-17-2005, 08:54 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a
bad ass looking plane![X(]!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

It looks to me like you have things under control.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:56 PM
McCrash

I was hoping for some help with engine mods, do ceramic bearings add rpm? Modified sleeve/cylinder? Porting, polishing, tuned pipe vs. Jett or Nelson mufflers, etc. I know I can bolt on more HP with a Jett or other high performance engine, but, were locked in to the super tiger 45's. I had hoped somebody had done some of these things before. I would appreciate any info! Thanks, Oh yeah, I live more than 500 miles away from most of you so come on share some of that knowledge.

wind resistance is a real drag
Old 03-18-2005, 09:17 PM
combatpigg

Old ABC STs are known for being high compression, low nitro engines. So if you want to optimize the running conditions, get a stack of head shims and lower the compression to the point where you can run 30% fuel without blowing plugs alot. Running the engine on the bench with an 8x6 prop and at a rich scream for a minute, then cool down and repeat a few times will condition the engine for "prime time" On the MAGNUM I would think an APC 8x8 would be a good place to begin. Up grading bearings is a good idea, PERFORMANCE SPECIALTIES might stock some good bearings, it's the rear bearing that can fall apart. You can also just buy some balls and load your own, "full compliment bearing " that will never fail and has no drag that is caused by the retainer, because you remove the retainer and run balls and races only..
Old 03-19-2005, 01:42 AM
combatpigg

BTW, That's a BADDAZZ LOOKING PLANE!! It's got those dobernan pincher ears from hell! It's so BAD, it turned the grass brown all around it. I gotta build one sometime.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:59 AM
McCrash

Thanks for the info, I'll have to organize my templates, and plans for the "Outlaw" if you want a copy. It looks like we're going to have a great day for flying today....so I'm going to load up the old van. Have a good one!