Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Cermark F16 speed and style

Old 09-24-2002, 02:33 AM
GeeBee-RCU
My Feedback: (324)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cermark F16 speed and style

I just started on my Cermark F-16 .I have built Many arf's and I must say this is one of the finest I have assembled.It didn't look that good till I spent about a hour with the heat gun.I would not even frame up that fuse for the $200 the kit sells for.The retracts are very nice units ,after, you learn how to ajust them.Parts fit is very good and the instructions are very helpful,but could use some refining.A beautiful Jet shape aluminum spinner is of very good quality as is "some" of the hardware,we all have our own ways of hooking up controls. Will use 4-40 torque rods,high torque metal gear servos and any tricks I can find. I am trying to make this a purposbuilt Speed Prop Jet(SPJ) and I will be posting my speed on RCU so we can get a little competition going.I am using a Jett90L , 8 servos,and I might convert to flying stabs, if I can find out if they will be of help or a hindurance, as I hope to go above 150mph.
The large scoop under the jet is a big problem area that will be opened up so air will pass thru the fuse and out the back,it will have a simple lexan exhaust duct ,so it will have less restriction.
What speed tricks have you found to go faster?
Photos will be added as I progress with the buildup.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:25 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Speed tricks....Hmmmm.

I found that the big block O.S. Max 1.08 FSR drags my
plane through the air quite rapidly. If I ever get around
to it, I plan to do away with the scoop, and streamline
the front towards to back to match the fuse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	27578_5977.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	17079  
Old 09-26-2002, 02:49 AM
KC-Lovespeed
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey GeeBee what field do ya fly at ? Myself Longview Lake primarily, but Jacomo and Hodge Park also. My speed planes are shrike 40 with Irvine 53, a whiplash err no I crashed that one, still working on whiplash # 2. Love to see your F-16 fly.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:18 PM
GeeBee-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Field

KC-
I fly at all fields in KC area,but I will test fly the F-16 at Jacomo since it is a paved runway..Building is going slower than I expected,maybe another two weeks till the test.
I think I will eliminate the scoop as sugested by flyboy since I am going for speed,not scale.
I have tried a Shrike but it is a little small for me to keep up with,and I am going for straight line speed,not the WILD manouvers a shrike can do at full speed.
Do you know someone with a good radar gun we could use for speed testing?Anyway give me a call and we can come up with a plan to "certify" our speed and maybe get others to join in,We can have classes from high wing trainer type to prop jet speedruns.I think it could be fun,we could even start a club for SPEED so we could hold a speed run event at Jacomo.
Your thoughts?

ixlnrc@aol.com
Steve Camp
816-254-2476
Old 09-26-2002, 09:08 PM
KC-Lovespeed
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey I like that thought, problem is us speed guys are few and far between it seems, least at Longview Lake. My shrike while very fast is also stable at speed, it still will turn on a dime on high rates. Vertical is unlimited with the Irvine .53 and APC 9x8 prop. My next speed plane is a Magnum with the tuned pipe. Just havn't found the time to build it.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:51 AM
GeeBee-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

KC-all we need is 4 AMA members to form a club & they dont even have to live here.We could then reserve Jacomo for a weekend speed contest,maybe even get the park rangers to do the radar gun.
we could even call ourselves the US Speed Team ?or
something
Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Speed tricks....Hmmmm.

Hey Flyboy Dave jump in over here in the New Cermark F-16. Let us know how your balance worked out with that big 108 in that 60 size plane.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5282288

LUDS96 Revor 52