Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston Magnum - Engine Mounting?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum - Engine Mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 02:32 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Magnum - Engine Mounting?

I haven't had much time over the last few weeks to work on my Magnum, but today I spent some time on it and have a quesiton in relation to mounting the engine.

The instructions say to use the bolts to mount the engine to the engine mount and then screw the engine mount to the firewall using a long screwdriver.

My problem is that I can mount the engine to the mount OK and then I can screw in the top 2 engine mount screws, but I can't figure out how to get to the bottom 2 engine mount screws.

How did you guys that have put together Magnums mount the engine?

Also it looks like there is too much fuel proofing paint on the bottom of the firewall, as when I screw on the mount, the spinner backplate does not line up with the front of the cowl when the engine is sitting flat on the engine mount.

I would have to scrape away some of the fuel proofing paint from the bottom of the firewall to allow enough downthrust for the engine to line up.

Did anybody else have this problem?

Lastly the 8oz. Dubro tank that was recommended is too wide and too long and the supplied tank looks and feels too weak.

Any suggestions on how to get the 8oz. Dubro to fit?
Old 10-07-2002, 06:53 AM
joan

Default weston nounting engine

I have one magnum airplane, with a longer screwdriver you should not have any problem mounting the engine mount that comes with the airplane, everything is doit, pre drilled with the nut installed, the only trouble that I had was fixing the engine in the engine mount, I ha'd to open a hach (Dor9 on the bottom of the airplane in order to install the bolts. Then I modified the bottom of the airplane because was no enoff strong for the landings. If you are interested let me know and I'll send you some pics with deatils. Sorry for my english but I'm from Barcelona Europe. See ya

Joan
Old 10-07-2002, 11:12 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First check the engine thrust line with the fuselage and wing incidence. I had to shim my mount to get it straight. Don't go by the nose ring, mine was off. Then mount the mount and then the engine to the mount.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:55 PM
maverick

Originally posted by evan
Then mount the mount and then the engine to the mount.
So if I did this I wouldn't be able to tighten the nuts on the bottom of the engine mounting bolts.

The instructions say to mount the engine to the mount first and then secure the mount to the firewall.

Surely they must have put some of these together themselves and have a technique for it.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:10 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine didn't have nuts on the bolts holding the motor to the mount...
Old 10-07-2002, 05:23 PM
roywiglesworth

i left the mount on the fire wall set the motor in then marked it
drilled and tapped for 4-40 then i took the mount out and heated a 4-40 blind nut and pulled it in the mount so far its worked fine the bottom of the plane is a little whimpy take a piece of ply and glue it on the bottom after a few rough landing i did break the nose ring i made a new one put it back and i pulled the covering back to the fire wall and fiber glassed the nose very tough now.
i would suggest you balance the plane slightly tail heavy thats how my nose got scruffed up in the beginning once you kill the motor no matter how much elevator throw you have you won't get that nose back up.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:53 PM
maverick

Originally posted by evan
Mine didn't have nuts on the bolts holding the motor to the mount...
There are a couple of things different in mine that doesn't correspond with the instructions that seem to be running modifications, but they haven't updated the manual.

I also have 2 blind nuts and bolts for the wing hold-down where I think earlier versions only had screws.

The throttle wire has a plastic outer casing too and the instructions don't even mention this.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:54 PM
maverick

Originally posted by roywiglesworth
i left the mount on the fire wall set the motor in then marked it
drilled and tapped for 4-40 then i took the mount out and heated a 4-40 blind nut and pulled it in the mount so far its worked fine
This certainly sounds like a workable solution! I will give it a go. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:03 PM
roywiglesworth

on the wing hold down bolts i didn't like having metric so i changed mine also i've never trusted a metal wing bolt in a blind nut once it viberates one turn it will keep trying to back out.what i did on mine the plate that had the blind nuts seemed very whimpy so i took a peice of maple the width of the fuse put it under the plate epoxied it and put a servo screw on each side of the fuse to make sure it was there to stay i drilled and tapped it for 10-32 bolts the wood keeps enough pressure on the bolts from backing out.
roy