Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My new Green Mean Machine! (Whiplash)

Old 10-03-2002, 12:27 AM
Glorfindel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My new Green Mean Machine! (Whiplash)

I got my whiplash X about a weeks ago. Now it's painted (the pictures didnt have much resolution ) he is some pre-flight impression :

- The hinge line is WAY too hard to move, i think it could take about 50% of the servos power just to moove them...

- I tried to put the antena wire in the tube, there is no way i can do that. I even tried with stainless wire with no success, so the antena will be out of the plane....

- The servos are outside the fuse, more drag. They are too close from the center and force us to take longer servos arms. It's not a good idea with the 'too hard' elevon....

- The engine mount have to be cut to put a 'little' Q500 engine, the cut is not wide enough...

- Nice looking plane, better airfoil than the DD

Sorry for the poor quality of the immage i didnt edit it to lower the size..

- Will be VERY regid

I ordered a Jett Q500 engine. I runned it but i didnt get the 19300+ rpm that they advertise. I runned a 8.8x9 with 15%XP fuel at first i was getting only 18500 on a cold day...I purshased a gal. of PowerMaster 15% (same fuel as Jett take to test engine prior shipping) I tried it again with not munch success but it was kind of dark and i'm not sure with the last rpm reading, so i will give the engine another chance before sending it back to Jett.
Am i alone with these low rpm on the jett Q500?

I will run the Whiplash this weekend, will give my impression on flying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28621_13526.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	18174  
Old 10-03-2002, 01:49 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default whiplash comments

What servos are you using? the elevons are stiff, but you dont need any more than 5/16 - 1/2" throw, anymore than that and you would be surprised by the reaction.

The antenna tube is 6mm I cant understand why it would go thru, try running a 2/56 rod thru it as far as you can go.

Is this a whiplash X or an older version? we did have problems with stiff ailerons and antenna tubes with some of the older units...please advise
Old 10-03-2002, 02:02 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hinges

I have one of the early runs and my hinges are VERY stiff. Can I saw cut a few slots in the hinge to reduce the over all length of the hinge. I am talking about making a couple of 1 inch or so cuts about every 3 inches?

might look like this

-------------------- ------------------------ ---------------------
with the blank spots being the cuts
Old 10-03-2002, 08:51 PM
BigD
My Feedback: (179)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash color

I strongly suggest that you add some bright color markings on your plane before you fly it....It is very easy to lose track of against the sky, especially a sky with any gray clouds...and it is FAST!....