Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

THE NEW CERMARK F-16 BUILD IT BETTER, STRONGER, AND FASTER!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

THE NEW CERMARK F-16 BUILD IT BETTER, STRONGER, AND FASTER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 03:34 PM
SPEED51J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE NEW CERMARK F-16 BUILD IT BETTER, STRONGER, AND FASTER!!!

Jeff,
Just curious, did your box have a big rip in the bottom of it? If so it was probably the one I already sent back.

John
Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I doubt it, it might have been 1 of the 2 that I had to send back. In the end though it is a great looking plane. I hope to maiden mine this weekend. Set up with an OS 91 FX.

R/C Foolish
Old 11-18-2005, 08:50 PM
KATENICK

Not really a rip but a hole about 6" across. The fuse lays right on the bottom of the box so any impact to the bottom damages the fuse.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:44 AM
R/C Foolish

It is worth the wait, Randy should be able to help you out at Cermark. With the throttle servo, battery and reciever in the back mine needed no lead at all to balance. I hope it flies as great as it looks.

To anybody flying the new version,

What can I expect from this plane? Take-off, flight - fast and slow, landing?????

This will be my first plane of this type.

R/C Foolish
Old 11-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine is the new version. I did put the throttle servo up front just behind the fuel tank compartment. Took about 6 1/2 oz in the tail to balance. The takeoffs are a little different in that it takes a whole bunch of elevator (stab) movement to rotate . Be sure to let the speed build up. Landings with flaperons are pretty slow. Suggested throws are pretty good though. G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14374.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	356822  
Old 11-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Bat Fastard

I have a Dubb Jett 120. Too much engine? Will it take a pound of lead to balance?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:12 PM
buddude8
My Feedback: (10)

that engine is meant for more torque and runs at a low rpm. you would have to use a prop that is to big for the airplane, and with a high pitch to get any speed.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Bat Fastard

Thanks for the info.
Jamie
Old 11-27-2005, 08:43 PM
R/C Foolish

Well, I did the maiden today on my F-16 powered by an OS 91 FX. All I can say is that this plane is awesome. After resolving a couple of minor problems ( needle valve turning in flight, nose wheel coming off ) it flew great. The 91 was turning around 13,400 rpm with a 12x6 APC. Long roll out, pull up elevator and away it went. Rolls, loops, inverted and of course take it up high and nose it down for a high speed low pass over the runway!!!! I was nervous on the 1st landing but it would not stall, I slowed down and flaired at the beginning of the runway and it was down. What a great flight. Made a couple of adjustments and then on to additional flights. Finally had the nerve to put the gear in, I am using the stock three servo setup and the gear went in, picked up more speed. Finally, gear down (wheh!) and another good landing. Decided to call it quits for today and bring it home and check everything all over, make sure everything is tight that is supposed to. I might try a 12x5 or changing the tuned pipe length. Thanks to all that helped with their suggestions and comments on this thread.

R/C Foolish
Old 11-27-2005, 10:52 PM
509thBoomer

Congrats!!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Big Daddy-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds great "R/C Foolish ", I plan to start building my Cermark F-16 soon.
Any Pics."R/C Foolish "??
I also plan on using the OS 91FX.
How do you have your pipe set up, where/how did you mount the holder for the pipe??
Thanks..
Old 11-28-2005, 01:07 AM
Capt G

Congrats on your maiden!
Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 PM
R/C Foolish

Here are a few pictures. Sorry, having trouble getting them to upload.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:34 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Jamie Turner

I have a Dubb Jett 120. Too much engine? Will it take a pound of lead to balance?

If you have a current version BSE-120 the weight is not a problem. Basically the same as the Jett 90L.

If its the older 'big-block' cast case 1.20 then it is going to weigh a bit more. But its not unreasonable. (still comparitively small to many 1.20 engines).

With either engine, install a 12x12 prop and it will work fine in the F-16.

Bob
Old 11-29-2005, 12:48 PM
FLY200

How come there is not any video of this great plane? I would really like to see some take offs and landing.

This plane has been recomended to me as a interim step before going to turbines. The way it flies and handles should be a good training experience.

This thred has been great for learning. I assume by today, 11/29, most of the kinks and factory upgrades are pretty balanced?

Not a builder, can any of you estimate the time it takes to complete this ARF kit to flying status?

Also, can someone list for me a proven set up.......whatever most have agreed is the best for this plane. Motor, exhaust......

Finally, any parts I would need extra from the kit to finish the build would be appreciated. I have learned so much from reading all the posts. I think my brain is in overload and I can't digest it all right now.....
Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 PM
MadScientist

Fly200,

I'm sure there will be a few differient ways of doing things with this plane, but here's what I've found so far:

The plane can be built in about a week, working a few hours each evening. The ARF kit is very complete, and I didn't find a need to change too much as far as the supplied hardware. I'm sure you've seen the others comment on components of the kit, so I won't add to that. I will say that you should renforce the landing gear blocks. You should also make sure that your tank installation does not touch the formers as there is a chance of foaming in the tank. I put in an 18 oz Tettra bubbleless tank in mine, and it required cutting the front former a wee bit, but I have no air bubbles at all because of the bladder tank. Be sure to balance your prop, and especially that Cermark spinner! Don't forget to balance it with the back plate. Be sure to file a flat spot on the gear, and use locktite on the wheel collars. For the first runs, go with the recommended throws and CG location, and then adjust; you'll be happy you did.

On the landing gear, instead of the metal wood screws, I drilled and tapped the holes for 6 X 32, and used nylon hex head screws. I've found in larger planes with retracts that the nylon bolts stretch a bit on hard landings, and can save you the trouble of fixing a broken mount. They hold in very well, and can be changed out quickly. I had a bumpy landing on grass on my third flight beacuse of a trim problem, and I was glad I used these nylon bolts. Two of them popped their heads off, but the plywood was fine.

As far as the engine setup, as most in here would agree, nothing will beat the Jett 90 lite. Worth it's weight in gold, and will perform on this plane with an 11 x 7 APC very well. Be sure to break it in ON AN ENGINE stand, as per Jett's procedures and you'll have a great engine with loads of power!

I've strengthened the belly pan a bit with some carbon fiber to get it a bit more rigid, and I now use trim tape to secure the canope, as I had troubles with stress cracks. Tape works fine for me, but you make the call on that one.

I've found that I had to dial the throws down quite a bit on the elevator. I'm a little heavy handed on the sticks, so that might be my personal way of flying, but it took a bit to get the turns looking scale for me. That's why I suggest the recommended throws, and you can bump them up a bit on high rates, and go from there.

Soon, we'll have three in the air flying formation for our team, and when we do, I'll post some pics for everyone. All in all, a great flying plane. Have fun with it!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Jim Flannigan

ORIGINAL: FLY200

How come there is not any video of this great plane? I would really like to see some take offs and landing.

This plane has been recomended to me as a interim step before going to turbines. The way it flies and handles should be a good training experience.

This thred has been great for learning. I assume by today, 11/29, most of the kinks and factory upgrades are pretty balanced?

Not a builder, can any of you estimate the time it takes to complete this ARF kit to flying status?

Also, can someone list for me a proven set up.......whatever most have agreed is the best for this plane. Motor, exhaust......

Finally, any parts I would need extra from the kit to finish the build would be appreciated. I have learned so much from reading all the posts. I think my brain is in overload and I can't digest it all right now.....

Hey Andy,
Give me a call and you can come by and see my F-16. It is just waiting for an engine.

Jim
Old 11-30-2005, 01:43 AM
FLY200

Madscientist,

Thanks for taking the time to help me avoid the "learned" pitfalls. You post is printed and filed for future reference!

Jim, see you tomorrow!!!! At least I will call you. LHS, Jarod, told me today you were building one. However, he suggested I fly a cheaper Pattern Plane, the Javelin, as my intro into turbines. He comments the F-16 flies to similar to a turbine and wouldn't be a good "stepping stone" for me. Actually, if I can fly the F-16, I could easily fly any turbine.

Confused. I get it, but frustrated. The Javelin is the cheap route I guess. Can't wait to see yours fly. Can't wait for formation videos from Madscientist!!!! Heck, I should just get one and we could fly formation too. Ha!!!! Fly200
Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 AM
msweeten

Well every great thing must come to an end. I am loosing my Club and air field to a new housing development. I am now resigned to the fact that I will not have a suitable place to fly my Cermark F16. I am therefor putting it up for sale [&o] It has a 6 month old Jett90L digital servo for elevator, upgraded mechanical retracts with two retract servos. I am offering the plane ready to fly with 7 ch hitec receiver. You can see pictures of it in previous posts in this forum or on the JEtt web site. It has a full detailed cockpit and scale pilot. If any one is interested you can email me. I am looking for about $600 plus shipping. The only thing it needs is a new spinner because the original is out of balance and a new front tire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15076.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	362862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76320.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	362863  
Old 12-01-2005, 09:26 AM
bob27s

EEEk......... sorry to hear you have to part with it !!

Here is the photo page link if anyone is interested
http://www.jettengineering.com/hall/ms-f16.html

Bob
Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
crasharama

I sympathise with you, we are having the same problem with our field too, the state government have taken it back & are going to put an industrial estate on it. Lucky we did all the ground work for them.....

At first we had to be out by next August, but they have put it foward to March of next year. All efforts with talking to them seem to fall on deaf ears as we don't bring in high dollars from sponsorship money like the football codes did when they wanted a field made, local council bent over backwards to help & poured in over $1 million dollars on the hope that national games were going to be played there once in a blue moon.

It has made the local papers & t.v but it is made out as poor little boys with their toy planes....

Tony.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Capt G

Sorry to hear about your field. Maybe you can find another? Just flew with my re-bearinged Jett .90. Best run with a 12x6 was 115 mph. Will try an 11x8 next - have to hog out the spinner a bit first.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 AM
Crewnf16
My Feedback: (4)

Everyone seems to be out of the Robart 520W1 retracts....anyone know of anybody who has them in stock? Or an high quality alternative set?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:30 AM
bob27s

call spring air
http://www.retracts.com

Bob
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Crewnf16
My Feedback: (4)

Just ordered a motor from you today Bob! BSE 90L

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.