Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Wonder with OS 32 SX, Prop!!!

Old 10-12-2002, 05:35 PM
TD1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wonder with OS 32 SX, Prop!!!

Hi guys I'm loving my SIG Wonder with the OS 32 and Tuned pipe, I am running a APC 9x9 at around 13000 rpm and the plane goes really fast, but i think that I'm running the wrong prop, what sort of size and pitch should i use and what sort of rpm are you getting with the different setups? Any Help is welcomed
Old 10-12-2002, 07:52 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You'd be best off to start by finding out where the OS makes it's peak power. You want to prop the engine so it's unloading to the peak power point. I suspect you're overproped by quite a bit. 13K isn't high revs at all. Perhaps an 8-8 or an 8-9 or possibly even a 7-9 to let the engine unload but still have the pitch to drive it to speed. But go by the tach and the engine charts for a proper guide.

But then again acceleration out of reversal maneuvers or tight turns will suffer with higher pitches. But trying things out is all part of the fun, right?
Old 10-13-2002, 02:44 AM
rsieminski

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try an 8x7 or 9x8. It depends on how much the model weighs. I have a 3lb plus, dogfighter that was clocked well over 100 mph, with the 9x8. If it were lighter, the 8x7 would have been better. I tried the square props(8x8), but vert was horrible, and take off roll was long. It just didn't seem to get on step.

I have the same, OS 32sx, great engine, comes alive with a pipe:
10x4 APC 16.8K
10x5 APC 15.7K
11x5 APC 13.5K (not impressed with speed or vert)
11x4 MA 15.4K (great funfly setup)
9x7 APC 15.5K (I think, I have not tached it in a while, this is what I run now)
8x6 APC was about 20K (I couldn't believe the #'s, too many r's for me)
Except for the ones I had to remember, these were documented, and peak rpm, richen 300 to 500 to fly.
I had best throttle response when I proped it for 15K and above.