Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Z bends

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 12:48 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z bends

This is the only response i have gotten so far. Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong. Many things work. I'm thinking about putting them on both ends!

The preferred method (post # 9)

Not only do they work but in fact are the prefered method in all three classes of pylon racing, Quarter 40 and both Q-500 classes. The reason for this is reliability and safety. With the right tool and one of the best is the Dubro Z bend maker it can be done very accurately.

So jlong for small hi speed aircraft that you are flying it really is the best setup.

John
Old 10-13-2002, 11:19 AM
IMAC Buff
My Feedback: (8)

Default Z bends

If your looking for justification for using Z-bends, I don't think you are going to find it from people who fly large scale and high performance airplanes. Sure I have used Z-bends in the past on a variety of airplanes in the 15 to 40 size range. But when it comes to large airplanes, 1/4 scale and up. Why use Z-bends on a airplane that you have invested thousands of dollars on?? Sure they work but Z-bends work on a friction fit. Once u lose that friction fit then you introduce slop into the control linkage. All of the servo horns that you would use on a larger airplane, would be very hard to get a Z-bend through in the first place. I don't think anyone is running Z-bends through a Anodized aluminum servo horn. I think it comes down to this. Why not make your control surfaces as smooth as possible with the use of ball links and very stiff push rods?? I can say that after building large aircraft, TOC size aerobatic, and jets, professionally now for 9 years, if I was to Z-bends on anyones airplane I would never get another project. I guess the moral of this story is that sure z-bends work but they have there place. If you are going to spend $5000 plus on a airplane don't be cheap, get some high quality hardware for your plane.

Cheers
Old 10-13-2002, 12:24 PM
jlong34016

Default ball links

Do you have a web site that has the equiptment you are referring to? What parts do you need for a typical link? Thanks
Old 10-13-2002, 04:15 PM
IMAC Buff

Default Z bends

Here is a couple of links, will post more as I think of them.

http://www.cactusaviation.com/Misc.htm

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Accessories/cntrlhrn.html
Old 10-14-2002, 01:20 AM
IMAC Buff

Default Picture

This is one of my usual setups on a large airplane. very smooth and most important no slop. Rocket City ball link with Hanger Nine Titanium push rod, Rocket city control horn drilled and tapped in a piece of 5/8 dowel rod. hope this helps

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30401_2934.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	19261  
Old 10-15-2002, 04:30 PM
daven

Default Z-Bends

I have no issues with using Z-bends on 180 mph planes. In fact, they are mandated by the AMA to pass inspection at the Nats for Pylon racing.

I take a piece of 2 56 rod and round the end slightly. I insert this into my drill and use it to enlarge the servo arm hole to fit the rod. work the drill in and out a bit to make sure you can get the Z-bend inserted.

This method insures a nice tight linkage between the bend and the servo arm. I check my arms after each season, and replace if any slop has developed. So far, I've replaced very few arms.

Z-bends are cheap, and effective if installed properly. Do not be hesitant to use them on an extreme speed plane.