Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Modified Diamond Dustlike Speed Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Modified Diamond Dustlike Speed Plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 12:03 AM
AdrianM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modified Diamond Dustlike Speed Plane

I am about to start cutting wood on a modified diamond Dustlike speed plane. Here are some of the design elements:

34.5" Span
25" Root Chord (NACA 66-006)
8" Tip Chord (NACA 63-009)
14" sweep back Root LE to Tip LE
3" Sweep forward Root TE to Tip TE
Standard DD .25" Carbon spars and LE's
Fully Sheeted in 3/32" balsa

Here's the kicker...

Cowled side mounted engine for less frontal area (Exhaust port up).

The prototype will have a TT46 Pro. If all goes well a second proto powered by a Jett Fire 50 with a Macs marine pipe semi recessed into the wing for less drag will be built.

The engine mount will be a round pylon back plate mount faired forward to a 1 3/4" spinner.

I have the plans drawn. The only thing left to figure out is the cowling. I have some ideas but I will finalize things when I get to it.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:22 AM
AdrianM

Default RE: Modified Diamond Dustlike Speed Plane

Here is a my wing plan. The front spar will tie into the LE just like on a Dust. For some reason the right tip got cut when I Jpeg'd the drawing. The plan is correct with symetrical wing halves.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47045.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	277635  
Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1, check your total wing loading with the weight of the Jett 50. Off hand, you may be very heavy. If you can get it off the ground ok, should go very quickly, turining will be questinable I think. Its going to be hot landing I think. You never really know with these things until you try. Start thinking of how you are going to launch this creature. Having a scar at the top of my head, no volunteer here. Saw a nice launch ramp made from pvc pipe sloped upward at about 45%. with about 12" clearance for the prop eather side. Thinking of the same approach for a no gear speed plane with Jett 90L, based on the krangke F20-40 wing, spans about 48", delta shapped. And I am warning you about weght. Almost scrapped the thought process until I saw the PVC launch ramp and wondered why I never thought of that one. Its good to have the group knowledge we all have on this site. Best of luck! Keep us up to date, back to the skunk works.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:55 AM
AdrianM

The wing area is 561 sq/in similart to an unclipped Diamond Dust so the wing loading is very low. A Dust is a 2.2lb plane AUW. With any sport 46 engine a dust will fly out of your hand... no push necessary.

It wont turn fast at all...its a delta wing... but it will go fast in a straight line and land nice and slow.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AdrianM
It wont turn fast at all...its a delta wing... but it will go fast in a straight line and land nice and slow.
With well over 100 flights on two Jett powered Dust I think you plans well work well. I have been thinking about building a new clipped wing Dust with the new Jett 61XL engine and cowl everything.

Wont turn fast?? It may drop a little speed in a turn but I have never seen a plane change directions faster then a Dust.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:44 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike, if you want to see planes change directions FAST, then watch some AMA FAST COMBAT with NELSON .36s or FAI COMBAT with CYCLON .15s. You wont believe what you just saw![X(]!!
Old 05-29-2005, 04:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ADRIAN, I scratch built a 90% DD from photos that I found here and at the DD website. It worked out real good! Your drawings are still sketchy, so there are still very inportant details that you don't show. If you dont stray too far from DD build techniques, then you should have a winner [if it isn't overly built], but just strong enough to do the job. If you can build it at 2.2 lbs with a .46, then it should be AWESOME! I think 3 lbs sounds more realistic.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

If you dont stray too far from DD build techniques, then you should have a winner [if it isn't overly built], but just strong enough to do the job. If you can build it at 2.2 lbs with a .46, then it should be AWESOME! I think 3 lbs sounds more realistic.

I agree... My completely stock Dust came in a 2.5 pounds with an ultra light Webra .32 in the nose and standard size hardware. That's plenty light for a plane this size.
You will be lucky to hit 3 pounds AUW with a .50 size engine and a full pipe... even if you go light on the radio stuff...