Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot is back!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot is back!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 03:12 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engines...

At this point, I have no idea what I'm going to put in it, except I'm not going to waste weight and money on a Jett .90 or some silly thing like that. My previous ones balanced super well with .46's in the nose, and the radio gear in it's normal places, except I always move the nose retract servo up to the wing saddle area. I also run a larger than normal battery, and I've never had to add tailweight or noseweight to balance it out. As a result, the plane lands under 30 mph, which is a LOT easier on the retracts, and my heart, too... I still always got over 100 mph out of it, and since we don't have the biggest field down in south Austin, I can still run out of room really quick.

If you HAVE to go 200 mph, pick another plane, like a turbine jet or a Diamond Dust or something like that. I can have tons of fun, and still use standard radio equipment, with a .46 powered Patriot....

Call me a purist....

Phil in Austin
Old 11-11-2002, 09:34 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Patriot is back!!!

Phil, I agree w/you on the .90... There's overkill, and then there's OVERKILL...The big batt. is an idea I've been thinking over(what size do you use?) I was also thinking about that LONG nose gear p.rod and re-locating the ret. servo... I'm hoping for around 125 m.p.h. or so...Anything more would be a bonus. Some of the ole plain bushed crank engines I've had have turned-up just fine(RPM wise) and are a lot lighter than B.B. versions, I'm now thinking of trying (just out of curiousity) maybe a T.T. GP .61 w/a 10-8 or 9, whaddya think? Got an old Webra Speed .61 that needs a re-build, would the Heli. version parts (piston, sleeve, ring, pin, and rod) fit? Probably cost more than it's worth! I fly out of an old Air Force base w/ 10,000' of runway (I'm really lucky, I know...) We've got guys w/ turbines, and D.F.'s, but I don't have that kind of $$$ so I'm shootin' for speed on a budget, so to speak...I like the looks of the Patriot, maybe someday I'll get a D.F., but I'll bet the Pat. w/the right eng. would fly rings around a D.F. ship. I like a bit of prop-wash over the tail surfaces @ low airspeed, especially if you have to go around, ya know?! Can you snap-roll, or do other types of manuvers you're not supposed to do, w/a D.F. or turbine??? Seems like most of the turbine planes I've seen fly are quite limited to the types of manuv. they can do.(I hope I'm not getting anybody's feathers ruffled here) I'll admit though that I've only seen about half a dozen jets (turbines) fly...Still, it seems like a lot of money to just go "woosh" back and forth, don't it? Just my humble(?) opinion...
Old 11-11-2002, 10:09 PM
phuffstatler

I've only seen a few ducted fans or turbines that can actually snap roll (fully stalled surfaces) and yes, most of those guys just like to swoosh around, and listen to that fine jet sound. Heck, most jets I've seen don't fly at all unless the conditions are super perfect. Too much risk for them. I love the really windy days to take out the Patriot, as it doesn't care much about it, and the downwind low passes are really cool.

if you want to really know what it's like to deal with a turbine, goto www.bvmjets.com and read some of Bob's personal dissertations on the models and flying characteristics. You have to read some of them to believe the complications on setting up and successfully operating a turbine. When you're toting a gallon of kerosene on takeoff, the plane changes a LOT between then and empty, just 8-10 minutes later....

I used 5 cell 900mah batteries, and 1000 sub-C 4 cell batteries in most of my planes, if that helps you at all. A standard battery will work fine, BUT you need to keep a close eye on it. With all of those servos running on it especially if you get your retracts bound up in any way, it gets used up in a hurry... It can happen in 3-4 flights. My newest one I'm building will get a 4 cell 1000mah, the one that came with my 9ZAP.

I ran 10x8 and 10x9 props on my .46 engines, so you'll really be peaking that .61... I also ran tuned muffled pipes on my engines, so was able to squeeze out more rpm's, plus keep the noise level down some. Muffled tuned pipes sounds great, too, but they are ugly hanging down under the plane, at least to some folks. It never bothered me, and I actually preferred it, because it kept most of the oil off the plane. Gave the plane something to land on besides balsa on a dead stick in the weeds (happened twice)

As far as speed, you could get 125 from a Patriot with a hot .46. The prop wash is a Wonderful thing, especially at low speed. Running around DF's though, I'm not so sure. I've witnessed BVM Vipers going through the timers at 238 mph (I saw it!) so the old Patriot is going to go nowhere near that. Of course, your Patriot will cost about 1/10 of what those guys are flying, too

Speaking of all of this, I need a tuned pipe setup for my new Pat!
Anybody got a .46 setup they'll sell cheap? I can order one through Tower, or get one at the local shop, but I'd thought I would ask...

Phil in Austin

P.S. Don't know anything about that Webra motor, maybe someone else can chime in...

P.S.S You'll see above some past tense verbs. I've had 4 Pat's in my day:
1- Worked really well, others gave me the name "NoFearFlyer" at my local field, planted it hard one day when I pulled a way-too-low split-S. Crunch!
2- The big D took all of my toys away. Wench.
3- Sold it to a guy in a temporary fit of insanity.
4- The one I have right now. I'm also stashing away a new kit, just in case....
Old 11-12-2002, 04:14 AM
guntop

Default just got mine today

Hi all
picked up mine at the local hobbytown. Just looking through the instructions. Seems like a lot of sanding on the fuse.?
Anyway, not sure what colors i want to do mine in. ANyone have any pics of the plane in the non trad colors. Military? etc
Old 11-12-2002, 11:29 AM
phuffstatler

Default Good for you

Sanding is good for the soul. It also build character!

Top Flite puts out a Monokote chart of different schemes and colors that you can buy. They just so happen to use our lovely Patriot shape for a some of those designs. It's only a couple of bucks, so you might want to pick one up from Tower or ???

Phil in Austin
Old 11-27-2002, 05:45 AM
Bob Payne

yep, i picked up and arf the other day at my local hobby town
it was marked down from 295 to 159 i seen that and beside it
was the kit for 99 i got the arf. bought a used Diamond dust same day for 90 and took a radio hit about 2 minutes into 3rd flight.
havent really had the stomac to start on the patroit yet.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:05 AM
Bob Payne

glue on the canopy then i'm done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52076_14633.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	19724