Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot is back!!!

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot is back!!!

Old 10-18-2002, 12:15 AM
guntop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot is back!!!

I see in the new model airplane news that the patriot is coming
back for a limited time as a kit!! might have to get one.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:43 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah,I've seen that too...Kinda reminds me a bit of the old Troublemaker I used to fly back in the 70's. Think I'll get one, Just gotta decide which engine to use. Maybe a S.T. .40 w/a pipe,(got one sittin around doin nuthin) Got an (new) old K&B .40 w/perry pump + big bore carb. Which one would you go with? There's a Webra Speed .61 out of aforementioned Troublemaker (sold it) but it's kinda tired. Anyone got any idea where I might find some parts for it? Think it'd be too much???(silly question,I know)
Old 10-18-2002, 11:36 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Patriot

Check out the "Hall of Fame" photo section of www.jettengineering.com. There's a Jett 90 powered Patriot that supposedly hit 190 mph.

Been thinking about doing something like that myself, minus those silly fake intakes.

It would be great to have an airplane that goes as fast as a jet at one-tenth the cost and with actual landing gear to boot!
Old 10-18-2002, 09:26 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I saw that Patriot with the .Jett .90. Looks good.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:28 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default I have 2!

One is an Arf the other is being professionally built from the KIT version.

The ARF has an Irvine 53 (Need ultrathrust muff. tho) The KIT will have a YS-45Rear exhaust with tuned pipe.

Should be exciting! The Webra 61 sounds sweet!

james
Old 10-19-2002, 05:48 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Default Jett 90 powered Patriot

could NOT find the Patriot pic on jettengineering hall of fame section...

can you show me the pic?
Old 10-19-2002, 06:41 PM
proptop

You gotta scroll quite a ways down to get to it. And here I was thinkin a .61 might be too much! I'm wonderin though... what kind of structural reinf. might be necessary??? What about the tail feathers? Other than some typical (obvious) precautions, are there any particulars I should look out for? I've got some N.O.S. BVM retracts (from the mid 70's). Are low profile ones really nec.? These are about 1" high, mech. (those cheap Hobbico's look similar) Gotta look more into getting parts for the speed .61...Didn't MRC used to import them? I don't see the .61 listed anymore, just the .50, then the 1.20...Do I have to search for private individuals who might have parts, or is there a place I can get them? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Tom
Old 10-20-2002, 01:24 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default Figures...

...that I just ordered a long-lost Patriot ARF from a nice R/C Universer, and they announce a new kit to be re-released.

Will I get one when they come out? You bet! It's the best flying plane of it's type to be found.

Oh yeah, on my previous Patriots I ditched the silly fake intakes, as well. Just slows things down....

Phil in Austin
Old 10-20-2002, 04:57 PM
vasek

Default Jett 90 powered Patriot

I swear it's NOT there!!!! (i looked & checked & double-checked)

If you can find it, can you post the pic here? (THNX)

would love to see it
Old 10-20-2002, 05:29 PM
proptop

vasek, I just went to the abov add. for jett and found it... I'm new to this here computer thing so I haven't figured out quite how to do the "post a pic." thing yet, but , click on "Hall of Fame" . It's under the "what's new" column...The pic is about 2/3 the way down...Good luck...Tom
Old 10-20-2002, 05:46 PM
proptop

It's also right @ the top of the home page...
Old 10-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Dustflyer

Default Photo

vasek,

It's a little tricky to find!

On the home page click on the box at the left that says "Jett Photos Hall of Fame." When you get to that page you will see a banner at the top that says "Jett Hall of Fame." Click on that banner and you will be taken to the pictures. You will get to see my Dust along with some other nice ones by Matt Fulks, Mike Connor and others. The Patriot is further down the page.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:12 PM
vasek

Default :) Patriot found!

OK, but it wasn't easy to find!

THNX guys!

I have a Patriot kit in a box just waiting for a power-plant
however, the price of JETT engines seems a little over the top...
is it worth the dough?
is there an (economical) alternative for a 'speedy' Patriot?

Let me know- if you know

Vasek
Old 10-20-2002, 11:48 PM
Dustflyer

Default Jett engines

Vasek,

The nice thing about Jett's is that they break in easily, run on 15% nitro and standard, inexpensive KB 1L plugs and run right out of the box.

Tell them what you want to run and they will tune the system for you, adjust the carb, even set the needle valve for you!

They are outstanding engines but yes, they are expensive. If you are willing to pay the price of admission for a no hassle, no fiddling around, run right out of the box powerhouse then by all means buy a Jett.

There are other options out there such as ducted fan and racing engines but I am not qualified to give advice there as I have no experience with them.

Luckily plenty of other forum members do!
Old 10-21-2002, 04:15 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Econo-Patriot..

Tell me about it! The Jett engines are awesome but pricey... I actually flew my ARF Patriot with an Irvine .53> it was mellow, but fun.

YS-45 w/macs pipe? (kinda pricey $175)
Rossi 45 w/minipipe ( about $100 used?)
TT Pro46 (ultrathrust..?)
MVVS 49 (?$?)
Cox Black widow .049?

Don't know if this helps but... The Patriot if fairly light with alot of wing so any strong 40-50 will get you started, and there are some powerful yet inexpensive engines out there that would fit the bill.

My .02
james
Old 10-21-2002, 08:50 AM
proptop

If Jett's .90L weighs 24.6oz. how far back do you recon the radio is? That's a good half pound more than a .46...I'll bet it does'nt turn very well. I wouldn't wanna try an spin it, the polar moment(s) of inertia's gotta be like a bar-bell---Get it goin' and it don't want to stop. Bet it flys like a (big+fast) lawn dart...Might be fun?! That's something you don't have to worry about w/ a Dust or Whiplash, the tail or fuse. moment arm...Gotta be wicked groovy, eh? (can you dig it man?) Just for the heck of it, I was thinkin about a GMS.76, they weigh21.9oz. w/o muff. Anybody out there know about those engines??? W/a .10 or larger trade-in you get $20.00 off, so the price would be 69.99...(how can you beat that?!) Are the GMS's good, just ok, or what? More food for thought...
Old 10-22-2002, 04:17 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default Econo...

I ran one of my Patriots with a piped TT.46 on 40% nitro... Wasn't good for it, but by golly that thing would sing! We were using the 40% Powermaster in some 1/2A racers then, so I just tanked up the ol' Pat with it, and let it howl! APC 10x9 prop, don't remember the RPM's, but was clocked around 120 back in '97...

I've used the OS .46 SF, the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro, and the Jett .50 (bought used from a guy on the 'Net) and they have all worked well on this plane. .50 was the fastest, but I preferred the OS's lower weight. TT worked just as well.

I've seen a Pat with a YS61 Rear Exhaust, and it landed at like a 30 degree angle of approach. Too heavy for me. I require my planes to slow down somewhat on landings (that means I like to drag them in very slowly), so I try and keep the weight down, sometimes at the cost of performance, but the overall flyability makes up for it...

Phil in Austin
Old 10-22-2002, 05:54 PM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

guys....
i am going to an auction to help out a widow who's husband was a great builder.. he built and flew the 40 size with retracts in it..super flyer. and up sized the plans and built a 60 size again with retracts. i think he used century jet retracts in both. i will attempt to buy both of these fine planes and may sell one on this site in planes for sale section next week. they are last know to be in excellant shape and the 60 never got flown prior to his death..
joe in ky
Old 10-28-2002, 03:30 PM
guntop

Default Building the patriot

Hi all
Just wondering how the patriot builds. Easy?
dave
Old 10-28-2002, 10:48 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Building the patriot

The patriot builds easily, and has great directions. I left off the dummy intakes. Great flier, like it is on rails, very controlable. I have a ST/Como .51 with mac's quiet tuned pipe on mine, great speed.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:36 AM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

wow those planes at the auction i went to brought good money. more than i had. but the 60 size is a real treat to see. wish they would kit one that size. anyone got the arf version they sold back then for sale?
Old 10-29-2002, 05:16 PM
roy_fisher

Default where can i get one?

so where can i get a patriot?
how mutch it costs?

and how will an o.s 46 fx pull him?

thank you
roy
Old 10-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Buzzard Beak
My Feedback: (2)

You can get a Patriot from Tower hobbies. Go to their web site and put Patiot in the search box. They are doing a limited rerun on them. I ordered two myself They are $99.99 each. An os 46 should be ok, but not blazing fast.

Frank
Old 10-30-2002, 06:14 AM
roy_fisher

Default what is o.k?

will he fly fast at all?
over 100 mph?

has anyone ever tryied an o.s 46 fx on this one?

thank you
roy
Old 10-30-2002, 12:55 PM
guntop

Default 46fx on patriot

I don't know if it will push 100 mph. I had an aresti with a 46fx and tuned pipe and the fastest i was clocked at was 85 mph.
dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.