Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Engine choice for F20

Old 08-18-2005, 12:36 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine choice for F20

I'm currently flying my DC F20 around with a Mag .46. It's adequate, but on takeoff from our grass field, it would be nicer to have a slightly more powerful motor up front, in addition to a quicker overall speed. My current possibilities are:

1. Magnum 52- not sure about quality control with this engine. Seems hit or miss and I don't want to be bogged down if I have to send the engine in for repairs. However, the price is right ($89), will fit into my current motor mount without redrilling and is approx. the same weight as the .46

2) TT Pro .46- good reports about this engine. Light weight. Might not be much more powerful than the 46 I have now.

3) Irvine .53- another good engine from what I've read, but more of a torque monster than high rpm engine. Also, pretty heavy.

4) ST .51- again, reports are good, but the engine is quite heavy

5) Webra 51- seriously considering this one, as the weight is about the same as the mag 46 and obviously a lot more power.

6) JETT- sorry, too $$$ for me right now, but I know they are strong.

Any other suggestions? My main concern is keeping the weigth of the engine down, as I already have a fair amount of weight in the tail of the plane. I'm tempted to go with the Mag 52 and hope I get a decent one, but the webra is attracting my interest as well.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:27 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Engine choice for F20

Any of the engines you noted are pretty good.

The limiting factor (for all of them) is the exhaust system they come with.

The Tower .46 is worth considering too. Comes with a 'sorta' tuned muffler right out of the box. Runs well with a 9x8 on it.

The Mag 52 is a good engine. Works fine with small props. Folks that have problems with them are trying to turn 11x6 and 12x4 props. It wont turn those. Break it in well, use good fuel. Make sure the head and backplate are tight.

Absolutely no risk with the Webra. Would be my pick from that list. Again, it benifits greatly from a tuned exhaust.

You can generally pick up a Rossi .40 from RossiUSA or Morris for not much more than $110 with either the tuned rossi mini-pipe muffler. Nice engine. Rossi was the standard of power for years. Engine is a classic. A bit heavy. Good value. Rossi USA even sells them combined with Ultra-Thrust mufflers for just a few $$ more (much better than the stock rossi mini-pipe in my opinion).

Unless that Mag 46 is simply worn out, keep the engine, and simply put a tuned muffler or a tuned pipe on it. Will get you another 1100-1500 rpm (at least) on the top end.

A full-size 6.5cc Mac muffled pipe and header will actually help you with the CG issues. The pipe will move some of the weight aft. Use the 'long' header, run the pipe under the belly. Pipe setup is going to cost between $50 and $70. Jett muffler is about $55, nearly the same performance, just easier to deal with.

Just some ideas.
Bob
Old 08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd go with the Magnum .52....they scream. Go over it good and tighten all
the screws. It will have more power and pull more prop. If there is a problem
with it (I doubt) they'll fix it or send you a new one. Dump some extra castor
into some already castor blended fuel for the first gallon, and have a happy engine.

FBD.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, if these were my only choices, I would leave it alone, I don't think your going to see much of a change on it all and not worth the aggravation of an engine change, drilling holes or installing new mounts etc.

I am not knocking the engines , just the combo of what you want to do. Its like having a tt46pro and wanting a 46fx, they both put out the same so why spend the extra bucks.

I am not sure of the casing size on those "50's" but that would add to the hassles.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, the Webra-50GT (Is there a 51?) is MUCH stronger than the Magnum/OS/TT-46 and is the lightest engine in that class except for the old Fox-50

I had a Patriot that I got used wiht an ASP-46 on it (Same as Magnum) and I noticed a big difference when I switched to an Irvine-53, then a big difference flying with a Webra-50GT then finally a Jett-50, which is in my opinion the pinnacle in that class-

The magnum-52 is hit and miss from what I have seen- great customer support though--- I would not bother with one...

Jett-50
YS-45 Piped
West-50
Webra-50GT
OS-50SX
Rossi-45/53
MVVS-49
K&B-48

In that order!

ENjoy
Old 08-19-2005, 07:47 AM
jzinckgra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, the Webra-50GT (Is there a 51?) is MUCH stronger than the Magnum/OS/TT-46 and is the lightest engine in that class except for the old Fox-50
I actually have a Fox 50 in my ultrasport 40.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:23 AM
nuspeed88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I’m using a magnum 52 on my f-20 tiger shark. I’m very aware of the problem that I might encounter on this engine. That’s why I spend a lot of time breaking it in. I was lucky to have friend lend me a test stand for a week. I run my motor rich and gradually lean it about I click at a time every 14 minutes. I had put about 1hour and 20 minutes on my magnum on bench. I got it all well tuned before I install it on my model.

Now I’m enjoying every time I flew this model and im very happy about it. Lot of fun and I got a strong motor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35902.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	312708   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43268.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	312709  
Old 08-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a nice set-up. I got a Magnum .52 two cycle to check out. Some of
the fellas were having problems with them. I bought a .40 size Kaos to put the
engine....but the engine looks too small for the Plane. []

I'll have to get something else to put it in....I really like the looks of the .52.

FBD.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:49 PM
jzinckgra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I bought a mag 52 today. Hopefully I got a good one