Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

V-Mar F-4 - First Opinion out of the box...

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

V-Mar F-4 - First Opinion out of the box...

Old 08-18-2005, 10:12 PM
MadMike-Heli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Mar F-4 - First Opinion out of the box...

Hi guys, I bite the bullet - the V-Mar F-4 looked too nice I had to try it, it arrived today and I have to say, everyone bashes V-Mar and I know the so called reasons but I finally had a once over and it is a really nice bird. Exquisite detail, and not far from scale... - When matched with retracts its going to be quite the nice machine to fly. I plan on powering it with an OS .91FX

I'll keep you guys posted, I'm expecting the building to start next week sometime, I'll post pics as I'm building. My next machine is the Cermark F-16 that'll be my winter project. But guys, I'll say it again, what most people say about V-Mar after seeing myself with my own eyes, teh hardware sucks yes, but get past that, its a nice machine, the wood is good quality, the building is done well, and its great value at its price. This thing is HUGE - even with an OS .91 FX I'd say it might still be underpowered - a 60 on this would be a total dog...

Anyhow, just thought I'd give my two cents. The review I read online says it all, very very nice airplane...

MadMike-Heli
Old 08-18-2005, 11:55 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Default RE: V-Mar F-4 - First Opinion out of the box...

Yep..I just got the mig 21 last week... Havent started yet... Mine looks of ok quality exept for a few blems.. One stab doesn't fit and is off, cheap plastic all over the thing..Cheesy hardware.. However the covering looks really cool, those rivits stand out at ya!! I just wonder how long the covering will last?? This plane is huge just as you said about your f-4. But it feels extremely light...Of all the stuff vmar has made these are the best, and this one is border line with me.. I say the cermark is a better value, and more plane... But heck.......Who else makes a mig 21 arf... ??? I had to have it!! Will keep you posted on the effort.. Keep us posted on the f-4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80570.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	312198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62096.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	312199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15044.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	312200  
Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Yeah Mike keep us posted with pics. a decent propjet is a rarity these days... Have you thought about going the extra mile and using a Jett-90? Maybe an OS-108FSR?

It does look like a big bird!

Enjoy!

And to Taildragger- I love the "I'm Rick James" thing.... I was a kid in the 80's and he was the man! [X(]

Gotta love ANY Mig-21!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:29 AM
HaveBlue

I thought of using my 1.08 FSR in my F4, to much hassle to fit it in.. not impossible ... to long to wide..to much hassle for me to be bothered with
Old 08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
MadScientist

I have a freind who bought one, and I got a really good look at it on the ground and in flight. We were looking at this plane as a possible bird for our formation team, so one of our team members picked this plane up to check it out. He had only seen the plane through some ads and bought it sight unseen.

Both the view from the ground up close, and the view of the plane flying didn't do too much for any of us. The quality in fit and finish, the quality of materials, glue joints, etc. all were sub par. Lots of cheap plastic parts adorn the fuse and wings, which make the overall look of the plane kind of cheap. In the air it flew OK I guess, but not like a good fast propjet should. It would make an OK slow sport flyer for some, but making the long sweeping turns and monster size loops that you want this plane to do for you is just not there for this plane.

The cockpit and pilots are HUGE in comparison to the plane, which throws off the otherwise scale look to the plane. I think for your money there are many other better planes out there that fit the bill of a scale propjet.

I picked up the Cermark F16 a few weeks ago, and THAT is a good plane. Just put that plane side by side up against the Vmar and start compareing- it blows Vmar away.

So, first opinion for me, out of the box for the Vmar? Put it back in the box and stick it on ebay.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:24 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A friend recently got the Mig 21. It looked good and flew well with a Jett 90. On the 5th or 6th flight the elevator started to flutter and the plane crashed. Post crash inspection revealed that one elevator control horn came loose. It was nothing more than a screw through balsa, and the balsa around the horn gave way.

I'd suggest anyone with one of these to throw away the origonals and put some decent control horns on it. Also strengthening the balsa with thin CA near the control horn would be a good idea.

Joe
Old 08-19-2005, 11:43 PM
HaveBlue

to anyone with a vmar propjet, I would NOT recommend useing powerful engines. IMO something like a Jett 90l is injustice to the Jett, these prop jets arent really speed planes .
I have the Vmar F4 phantom, I use a ST G90 on a 12 x 8..thats plenty..yes vmar stuff is still crappy, they have tried to improve..still got a long way to go, epecially for the price they charge.

like all arf's, they tell you to check all the hinging and control surfaces, whilst in most cases they feel tight when assembled, they can work loose once put into service, I havent had this problem yet, but then again I have only had about five flights with mine

I dont think they are worth pushing to the limits, eg trying to get max speed... they'er just not configured the right way for this.. althought I have no expirence with Cermark, ..for the money and the need for speed .. their F16 would be my choice..(cyclic..see I didnt mention AKM kit!!!)
Old 08-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THE CONTROL HORNS NEED A LARGER BASE SO SPREAD OUT THE LOAD... LIKE THE ROBARTS
Old 08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

A friend recently got the Mig 21. It looked good and flew well with a Jett 90. On the 5th or 6th flight the elevator started to flutter and the plane crashed. Post crash inspection revealed that one elevator control horn came loose. It was nothing more than a screw through balsa, and the balsa around the horn gave way.

I'd suggest anyone with one of these to throw away the origonals and put some decent control horns on it. Also strengthening the balsa with thin CA near the control horn would be a good idea.

Joe

EEEEEEEEEK !!!

Ya would think that after 50 or so years of people building RC plane kits, they would have some background information on how to - and how not to - install a control horn ???

Old 08-26-2005, 04:58 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mad mike , I am sorry to ask you to repeat this but did you say that after seeing it on the runway it was cheesy and you would sell it ? I was curiuos because I was thinking of getting the new F15 but just the commets on the cheap hardware were a turn off . I know V-mar has had a bad rap in the past , but you get what you pay for whan you spend $129 to $179 .However at $279 to $329 , you should be getting better then sub par quailty and if your not you can spend your money elsewhere .
ceremark ARF looks dam good , AKA Lasor kit for $115 is a steal , F20 from Hobby People ect ect
Old 08-30-2005, 09:55 PM
f104g

I've also got the VMAR F-4 Phantom.

It has about 50 flights so far and the wear & tear is showing now. The light plastic parts on the model eg the intake splitter plates under the cockpit and the plastic intakes themselves have all started to form cracks. I've reinforced them inside with fibreglass.

The covering is fine except for around the motor and the access hatch where its getting a bit ragged. Have had not problem with the reliablility of the model itself. Using a magnum .91xls for power.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:36 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 50 flights , what do you think ??? would you buy another VMar
Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
jlingrel

If I remember from my days of working on F4Ds and Es for the USAF, those plates are actually called vari ramps. I think they were moved around to keep the flow of air to the engines sub sonic. just a bit of trivia

John
Old 08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
f104g

If you are careful with how you store and handle the model, you will minimise any hanger rash, and it will always look good. Where the covering has started to lift here and there I have used cyano Zap-Ca to glue it back down. The fixed undercarriage can handle the less than perfect landings that happen sometimes.

My F-4 has also had a crash, which wiped out the vertical fin and canopy. I managed to get replacement parts and all is looking and flying good again.

So ...Yes, I would probably consider buying another VMAR propjet ...