Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sig Kougar Questions

Old 08-23-2005, 12:39 PM
rc-combat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig Kougar Questions

After considering a Patriot or a F20, I decided to go with a plane that has been well proven over the years and that I have seen fly before. I am going to buy a Sig Kougar kit to break myself into this particular area of the sport. I have a YS 45 sitting here that I got on that big auction site and I am looking at a kit there. The kit is shown with the printed balsa parts that you have to cut out yourself. I was wondering if this was an old kit or if I bought a new kit would I still have to cut out the parts. Does Sig punch or laser cut the new kits, anyone know? I have never ran a pumped engine before anyone have any pointers? Tuned pipe or will a tunned muffler like the Jett muffler or Ultra thrust be the way to go. What size prop would load up well with this engine and airframe combo?
Well I better stop because I am getting excited and the questions will keep rolling out.

Thanks Guys,
Chuck

Once I get it up and flown will I quailfy for the Revvers?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sig Kougar Questions

Chuck, if you bought a Cougar and YS-45 you are ALREADY afflicted with the sickness and you'd qualify to be a Revver!

Heck, if being a Revver-Bro meant having SAFELY landing one of these speed planes, half of us would be ousted

Seriously though: The YS-45 is one of the finest sport engines available today, other than a Jett-50 the YS would top my list for a propjet engine- Definitely run a Jett / Ultrathrust muffler or get a Macs 7.5CC quiet pipe- I am not aware of the figures but seems to me the Jett/UT muffler gets pretty close to the same RPM's as the full pipe with no tuning hassle, set-up, or rigging the pipe under-carriage!

I would think a 10x7 /9x8/ or my favorite 9x9 APC would rock and roll-

Lets see what Bob27 says, his words are gospel!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:30 AM
magnumeng
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought a Kougar a couple months ago. It has some laser cut parts and some parts that you had to cut out yourself. Just don't try putting a Rossi 60 on it unless you can lighted up the air frame about a pound and a half. Great flying plane though.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shouldn't you be getting ready for the big day?

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Chuck, if you bought a Cougar and YS-45 you are ALREADY afflicted with the sickness and you'd qualify to be a Revver!

Heck, if being a Revver-Bro meant having SAFELY landing one of these speed planes, half of us would be ousted

Seriously though: The YS-45 is one of the finest sport engines available today, other than a Jett-50 the YS would top my list for a propjet engine- Definitely run a Jett / Ultrathrust muffler or get a Macs 7.5CC quiet pipe- I am not aware of the figures but seems to me the Jett/UT muffler gets pretty close to the same RPM's as the full pipe with no tuning hassle, set-up, or rigging the pipe under-carriage!

I would think a 10x7 /9x8/ or my favorite 9x9 APC would rock and roll-

Lets see what Bob27 says, his words are gospel!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:32 AM
rc-combat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Work on the Kougar is slowly begining, I am taking my time with it to try and make it as light as possible. I am starting to look into the completetion of the plane and still do not know whether I want a tuned muffle or a tuned pipe. My mind changes everyday on the subject. I just started looking for electronics for it and I think I want to use JR DS811 Advanced Sport Digital Servo with the following specs:

Torque: 54.0 oz/in
Speed: .18 sec/60°
Dimensions: 0.75 x 1.49 x 1.52 in
Weight: 1.44 oz
Bearing: single
Motor Type: cored

Does this servo look right for the application, or would plain old standard servos still cut the mustard, or do I need to look for something more specific. Any suggestions would be appreciated, any money saving suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

C-Ya

Chuck
Old 09-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Razor-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Standard servos are fine, but I would run a 6V RX batt to get near 60 oz. I am not familiar with the JR's you mentioend although I am sure they are fine @ 54oz.

If you do not go with a quiet pipe (muffled) it is gonna be REAL loud-

James
Old 09-06-2005, 11:07 PM
rc-combat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Loud is good, I hope it screams like a F1 racer. Never used 6V before wonder if my Sirius Smart Charger can handle that.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Razor-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any charger that charges the regular 4.8V pack will charge the 6V pack as far as I know- I use a wall charger on all my stuff---