Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Indecisive flyer needs advice from the speed freaks...

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Indecisive flyer needs advice from the speed freaks...

Old 08-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Endor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indecisive flyer needs advice from the speed freaks...

Hi all,

I'm currently flying mostly 3D/funfly type planes (Funtana, Twist). My flying buddy let me take the sticks on his Sportsman Aviation F20 with a Jett 50 and it was a blast, so I'd like to get a sporty speed plane to get more of a mix in my hangar. Plus, I have a few Magnum 2-strokes laying around: a Magnum 46XLS and a Magnum 52XLS (along with it's horrible midrange )... plus some extra cash.

I like to buy from local shops when I can. Here in SoCal, I have several nearby, with Hobby People being the closest and most convenient (hence taking a lot of the list below).

I'm trying to decide amongst these ARFs and having a heck of a time:

- Sportsman Aviation Sonic 500 (great price, simple, and I read that its fast.. could be a good fit for the 46?)
- Sportsman Aviation F20 (looks good, kinda expensive, and doesn't seem to be super fast)
- Modeltech P-51D (saw one at the field this weekend with a Mag 52XLS, seems pretty fast and looks great!)
- Modeltech F4U Corsair (are these very fast? They look great and are going on sale this weekend...)
- GP Viper (obviously fast, may not be very "sporty", more for just pylon racing?)

Not looking to race, just have something that is sporty, fun to fly, and goes real fast. I may invest in more of a speed motor later on (e.g. Jett 50).

Can anybody help a fellow break his indecision? Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Indecisive flyer needs advice from the speed freaks...

If you want fast, get the Viper. The Sonic has that cheap covering on it,
you can't get the wrinkles out of it.

FBD.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

viper...if you have V-tail mixing in your radio

F4U too much drag
Old 08-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Viper- Plug and run! With the engines you have, that would be my choice... Throw it together, standard servos -- Soon you may be stuffing a Jett-50 in there, that'll set your hair on fire!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the looks of an F-20 3ft off the hard deck after a 500ft dive.
I gotta stop thinking like this, my heart stops every time. My ears even swell, such a sweet thought.[8D]
Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Endor

Well, looks like the Viper is a popular recommendation, and most of the local non-Hobby People shops carry that one reguarly. And, I do have v-tail mixing in my TX (Hitec Eclipse 7), so that's not a problem. Hmmm....

I had heard about the Sonic covering and experienced that issue first-hand with a Modeltech Magic Extra I had over a year ago... if they used the same covering, I can see that being a HUGE problem (it reminded me of that clear plastic they use in floral arrangements). However, I understand that Modeltech has moved to using Monokote on all their planes now, and indeed the box I looked at had a sticker stating that fact: "Covered with genuine Monokote:". Perhaps they got the message...

But back to the Viper... in my searches, most folks seem to run pretty high-end motors in these (for racing, obviously). Since the Magnum 52 has made me angry more than once with the sloppy midrange [:@] , would the Magnum 46XLS be enough for some decent performance? What props would work well with this engine? (I'm thinking an APC 9x8 based on other posts?)

Oh, and thanks for your help so far... what a great group!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:25 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Personally I prefer the Lanier Preditor over the Viper (flying wise), but they both fly well.

Use the Magnum .46 on the Viper.
(the 52 will work fine too - problem with midrange is due to people over-propping the engine - its a speed engine, not a 3D engine)

get a backplate mount from lcsperformance.com - square one. (although I think the Viper comes with one.. or at least it use to)

Prop you want for the .46 is either a standard APC 9x7, 9x8 or an APC 8.75x8W, 8.8x8.5. You want the engine running near 16K rpm on the ground. Same props are good for the .52 as well.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:54 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Dude, you live just a stones throw from my front yard![sm=thumbup.gif]
Get the goods and lets burn some fuel!
Become a full fledged Speed Freak! (get your #)
Once you've been bitten by the speed bug you'll never be the same!

REV BRO #118[sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 09-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Speed Junkie and Endor, where do you guys fly? I got bit by the speed bug a couple of months ago and I'm still sick. Both electric and glow bugs bit me!! I normally fly at Whittier Narrows but don't see too many speed guys out there, maybe one or two.
I'm trying to get info to run a Supertiger X40 that I'm putting into a WildhareRC LR-1 pylon racer. And putting a F5D electric pylon plane together also.
This speed stuff is FUN
Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Endor

I usually fly at Whittier Narrows as well. I'm there practically every Sunday morning, but no speed planes yet (hence my indecisive post). I'm usually flying a FuntanaS 40, piloted by one of my daughters Barbies and overpowered by a Magnum 91 FS. Not real fast (proped for 3D with a 15x4W), but unlimited veritcal at 3/4 throttle!

I see some speed planes at Whittier, but there seem to be more at Sepulveda basin (jet turbines were even allowed there the last time I was there 5-6 months ago). Sepulveda has a number of guys who fly 40-size World Models warbirds powered by YS-110 4strokes.... man, those things are FAST and sound so darn cool! If only I could justify the $350 for that YS motor to my wife... []

I hear that Sepulveda turns into a zoo on the weekends (plus it is so far away), so I avoid it. I used to fly there regularly on Fridays when I was working 4x10s.... the field was not crowded, but the drive home... well, the 405 on a Friday night is absolute hell. [:@]
Old 09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Endor

ORIGINAL: bob27s
Personally I prefer the Lanier Preditor over the Viper (flying wise), but they both fly well.

Use the Magnum .46 on the Viper.
(the 52 will work fine too - problem with midrange is due to people over-propping the engine - its a speed engine, not a 3D engine)

get a backplate mount from lcsperformance.com - square one. (although I think the Viper comes with one.. or at least it use to)

Prop you want for the .46 is either a standard APC 9x7, 9x8 or an APC 8.75x8W, 8.8x8.5. You want the engine running near 16K rpm on the ground. Same props are good for the .52 as well.
Bob, thanks. I'm going to take everyone's advice here at go with a Viper or Preditor.

I've read that the Preditor has some issues with a weak tail area and wing incidence problems, but I understand that was with the early versions. I guess those have been resolved now?

I also understand that the wheels on the Viper are terrible and break easily. I fly off of a paved runway... any suggestion for wheels?

Glad to hear that I have a good use for my 46 which has been sitting idle for some time. Looking at the manual for the Viper, it mentions that it comes with a "universal backplate". Good to know where to find one in case it doesn't fit for some reason.

Your comment on the 52 got me thinking... I know how to tune, and I've had nothing but problems with it. However, In my case I have always run 3D-type props with it (APC 12.25x3.75)! My friend with the F20 had a Magnum 52 in his before upgrading to that wonderful Jett 50, and didn't seems to have midrange problems since he *was* running a smaller prop. I always figured he just happend to get a good one that ran well, but I think you're hit it on the head.