Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Tuning recommendations for a YS .45?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Tuning recommendations for a YS .45?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning recommendations for a YS .45?

One of the older guys in our club gave me () a YS .45 side exhaust...
He's in his 70's now, and I got him hooked on electrics, and he's gettin' rid of some of his glow stuff...he also gave me a Magnum 1.20 4 stroke w/ very little time on it!
Anyway...
I'm thinking of replacing the tired Webra .50 /Ultrathrust in my WM Dago Red w/ the YS.45 and a pipe.

I have a header, but I want to know which Macs pipe would be the best for max R.P.M. and what prop (one of them meat slicer APC's) and plug?

This is my first YS so I ain't too sure yet what to go with as far as prop/ plug, etc. ya know?W

It oughta be faster than the Webra with the Ultrathrust, shouldn't it?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tuning recommendations for a YS .45?

Proptop- I'll put down my drink and give this a shot... The YS-45 is a $170 engine- generous gift!

The YS-45 can be run on a Macs 7.5 or 8.5CC pipe, my understanding is that the 7.5 is better for higher rpm's and the 8.5 is for bigger load (Pattern prop maybe-)

The Webra/UT combo actually sounds like it'd be REAL strong-

I always ran 20/20 Powermaster, a 10x7 even 10x8 (9x9 would be fun..), and OS-8 plug. I bet you could hit 17K or more with a 10x7 and a matched pipe -

Also make sure your tank is adequate as the YS pump style can ruin many a tank- hayes tanks are good...

Other than a Jett-50, the YS-45 on a 7.5CC pipe would be my top choice on a go fast bird like a Patriot, Cobra etc.

I am sure someone else will give better advice or even correct mine here soon- Bob27? You around?

Cheers!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:05 AM
proptop

Thanks Jim...did you get my pm? I got booted off line[:@] so I don't know if it went thru...

I have a Mac's 7.5 cc pipe...I'll give it a try (that's what I was thinkin' myself )

I'm running an APC 10X8 on the Webra and it really goes man! You can hear the UT come on and it starts haulin'...
I run 15% PM in that one...and an O.S. #8

I'm thinkin' that a 10" dia. prop is about as small a dia. as I should run tho...
The Dago Red has a lot of airframe to drag around, and I don't think a 9" disc will pull it as efectively?
I could be wrong though...
Old 09-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

No PM thats ok though... I figured you knew what I was going to recommend anyway You had a 10x8 on the Webra? I guess the UT pipe makes that work out.... I love the 9x9 but the YS on pipe can handle a 10x8, I would like to cut down a 10x10 into a 9x10 and try that also---

The Dago is a sweet bird!

Enjoy!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:02 PM
proptop

Hey guys...
This thing is a little used, so I decided to do the crock pot thing and clean 'er up.
I took the carb and regulator/pump off for that, and went at it. (it cleaned up great BTW, and has good compression, a nice pinch, and very little rod big end slop )

Anyway...I gotz a little problem...
When I put the reg. and carb back on (assembled w/ YS Ultra oil ) and I snug the thru bolts down, the carb barrel binds up?[]
I can only just barely snug them , and not tight enough to keep from vibrating out I'm sure, and it'll probably leak press. and fuel too

I should probably ask Dave in the YS forum, and I will, but I figgered I'd throw it up here first...

Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2005, 08:14 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Prop,

just another option - you can get an adapter for the YS to bolt the ultrathrust muffler to it. Runs well with the tuned mufflers. Sometimes that makes for a less invasive installation on some planes.

The 7.5cc pipe is good. Use that as you plan.

Definately ask Dave about the binding. Sounds like something is goofy.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I get home I'll take a look at my 60 to see how the carb goes together. It's been a while since I played with my YS 2 strokes. The only thing that pops into mind is the barrel lock bolt on the top of the carb body being too tight......Like I said I'll look tonight when I get home.

I had a YS 45 FS last year that I sold to buddy of mine. Had it on my Dago Red with a 7.5 pipe and it screamed. Don't remember what prop I wound up using....maybe 9X9...took some runway to get her off. It will run well on 15% sport fuel but the YS 20/20 blend for the four strokes really perks it up. I woud try a 10X8 to start.

You'll like the combo when you get it sorted out.....I liked mine until I caught a wingtip on take off. The plane is almost repaired now and I am considering a piped Rossi 60, A YS RE 60 or a Tower 76 for it.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:54 AM
proptop

Thanks guys...

I asked Dave, and he said it's a rather common occurence w/ the .45...
The carb body is distorting as the screws are being tightened...
He suggested lapping the barrel w/ toothpaste while slowly bringing up the screws.

I had a feeling that that was what I needed to do, but I didn't really want to have to dis-assemble the engine completely (as Dave suggests ) to insure I don't get anything in the engine.

I'm just thinkin' though... I'm a pretty meticulous guy, and as long as I'm real careful, I can do it w/o taking the whole eng. apart.
And, my engine will be "Minty Fresh" afterwords too! ()