Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

weston magnum warranty information?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

weston magnum warranty information?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 03:32 PM
xcellman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weston magnum warranty information?

I ordered a weston magnum from weston-usa. On the very first flight the connecting rod in the engine broke and the ensueing glide ruined the wing! The crank is not connected to the piston any more and you can look into the exhaust port and see an chunk of metal at least 3mm x 5mm long. In short the engine is definately toast. I called weston-usa and they will not do anything. I also tried to email westonuk with no response. Does anyone else have any ideas. I'm really frustrated. My other magnum lasted me several years and I finally sold it just because it was getting a little rough. Thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 05:47 PM
RC-Captain

Default RE: weston magnum warranty information?

Just a devil's advocate question, isn't the warranty information on the box the plane aand or engine came in ?

Also did you rev the engine up on the ground several times before first flight ?

If I were you, as I have learn by visiting RCU , keep calling Weston USA and ask for somebody in a managerial position. Under no circumstances deal only with customer service personnel.

GL

RCF esq.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't exactly know what Weston does or does not cover... but:

The V1 is basically a racing engine, it has "sport" roots, but that's where it ends. All manufacturers I know of give very little or no warranty or their high rpm engines... since it is just too easy to kill these engines by abuse.

On the other hand, unless you've revved it to 25K, the conrod shouldn't have let go. How did you run the engine?

At any rate, no matter how long you complain, the best you are going to see is a new or revised engine... the damage to the plane is yours...
Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost any product as guaranteed by the manufacturer to be free from defects
in material and workmanship when purchased. Clearly, the rod was probably
defective....they should at least repair the engine....at their cost.

Most reputable outfits would replace the defective product at once.

FBD.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:57 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: xcellman

I ordered a weston magnum from weston-usa. On the very first flight the connecting rod in the engine broke and the ensueing glide ruined the wing! The crank is not connected to the piston any more and you can look into the exhaust port and see an chunk of metal at least 3mm x 5mm long. In short the engine is definately toast. I called weston-usa and they will not do anything. I also tried to email westonuk with no response. Does anyone else have any ideas. I'm really frustrated. My other magnum lasted me several years and I finally sold it just because it was getting a little rough. Thanks
If the engine component failed in flight, the engine should be under warranty. Either Weston USA or the folks in the UK should back the engine itself. If you have your purchase receipt and such, they should be able to work something out.

The w-50 is a pretty robust engine. Rare to hear of a mechanical failure. But, I guess anything is possible. Usually the only thing that breaks a rod is a sudden stop (ie, the engine ate something - from outside or from inside)

On a tight-fitting engine such as the West 50, it is very important to perform the initial break-in on the ground - flight rpm, properly leaned engine (only 500-600 rpm down off of peak rpm). At least 30 minute like this before flight.

Bob
Old 09-16-2005, 09:39 PM
xcellman

Thanks for the replys. I did break the engine in on the ground. The pipe was still at the stock length and I was running an APC 9x7 at 18300 on the ground. Still no word from weston. They will not answer my emails.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:22 PM
rconabudget

I would suggest that you phone Weston UK and speak to them directly. I used to be the agent for the in Australia and found them to be fantastic with after sales support.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah... don't use email... I found out they are terrible at answering mails... just give them a call.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
xcellman

Ok, you convinced me. I'll give them a call and let you all know.