Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OOPS...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default OOPS...

Total airtime... about 5 minutes I guess... two short trim flights, and the third flight it went in.

It did make a very nice bounce though: it went into a plowed field that was behind a corn field... and it bounced back up so high above the corn I saw it make two full "knife edge tumbles" or whatever you could call it.

I think the Jett is going to need some TLC...[&o]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65803.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	322880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17333.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	322881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67636.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	322882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19114.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	322883  
Old 09-11-2005, 06:31 PM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OOPS...

well at least you down in true revver style..FAST..[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Hey sorry for the loss Rudeboy , what size Jett fire engine is that?, with that really clipped down prop
Old 09-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Bummer[:@] it's never fun to lose a model of any type, but it's part of the hobby, and that's what makes this hobby so enjoyable and interesting.

Joe
Old 09-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

what size Jett fire engine is that?, with that really clipped down prop

Name:	Rp44661.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	322949  
Old 09-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

That's a BSE, isn't it ? Those pictures of that engine bring tears to my eyes. Hate it for ya Rudeboy. Any idea what happened ?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:49 PM
HaveBlue

should get my eyes checked!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 09:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

So THAT'S the sound I heard when I was out working in the yard. That's UGLY dude! It would be nice to have a flight data recorder that weighed less than an ounce, and was no larger than a thimble, to get some idea about what happened.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Wasn't that your second Dust that only lasted a few flights? I hate when that happens. I bet the Jett will be fine.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Rudeboy

No, the first one was used quite a bit, but yes, that one was destroyed prematurely also (during a launch mishap).

This time I got a total radio lockout. In fact, it was very similar to the way my Magnum went in: diving for the field and the plane suddenly goes nuts. I had quite a bit of control throw on it, so it made about 1.5 roll to inverted in a split second before disappearing behind the corn.

I cannot trust my radio gear any longer... I'm going to ship it all to a service center to have it checked out. Something is not right there.
One plane can be a coincidence... two? No way...

This plane had all new gear in it (switch, battery, high end 9 channel spcm receiver, digital servos, crytal), except for the tank, and that one is still ok... I'm starting to get doubts about my transmitter really...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh there is nothing like the feeling of going down in style, it's nearly as impressive as a succesful maiden. All the guys standing around, "wow! did you see that go in!" A year or so back some of the revvers were around for my Cermark F-20 with a Jett 90. The takeoff was flawless and a few trimming laps went by and it was time to "open er up."

Went way out and up and came around for a high speed pass out of a dive. I was going well over 120mph and the elevators fluttered. That thing went in full speed at about a 45degree angle right on the asphalt. Good things did come out of it when a friend had an old Ultra Sport up in the rafters in his garage that he didn't want and I did not feel like building another plane for my Jett.90. So I took it, rebuilt it and recovered into one sweet plane .

Although the Ultra sport has been very good to me, I did lose the nose cone and prop on a flight one time. The plane was going down the back stretch and could not hear it very well and the engine went dead and I deadsticked on in with no problem. What really happened was that the prop and cone came off out their, I couldn't hear the engine overspeeding probably upwards of a billion rpms and broke the connecting rod. Jett sent me a new one and its been fine ever since.

Jett's can take a beating

Name:	Gd93523.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	323129  
Old 09-12-2005, 09:17 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Total airtime... about 5 minutes I guess... two short trim flights, and the third flight it went in.

It did make a very nice bounce though: it went into a plowed field that was behind a corn field... and it bounced back up so high above the corn I saw it make two full "knife edge tumbles" or whatever you could call it.

I think the Jett is going to need some TLC...[&o]

Ehhh.... engine is not too bad. Clean the carb, clean out the engine, maybe a pair of new bearings. I typically change out the prop stud too.

Sorry to hear of the carnage... hang in there !

Bob
Old 09-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

DUde- Sounds like you had a radio hit if you are runnin' PCM- How did you set your fail-safe? Maybe you got control on the "down-line" when it was too late and too sensitive?

Anyway, sorry about your loss! What are you gonna build/buy next
Old 09-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Rudeboy

Yeah Bob, the engine came out alright I think... the remains of Katrina passed over us this weekend and we have had A LOT of rain, so luckily the plowed field was very soft.

Razor,

That's the funny thing: it really looked like a radio hit. But as far as I know, I'm the only one in the club on that frequency.
Fail safe was set throttle to idle, no roll and slight up elevator... so it shouldn't have rolled like it did. It did throttle down for a split second, while it was doing the unintentional roll.
I "think" I had control back just before it hit the ground, but it all happened very low... and at the speed it was going, there's nothing anyone could have done to save that thing. Perhaps if the corn hadn't been there, I would have had a few more feet to react...

I will build another Dust for sure, but I don't know yet what I will use for power... perhaps the Webra .32 again... that was a really fun airplane, being so lightweight.
Perhaps it is time to put the Jett 50 in the plane where it belongs: the Stinger 40
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 PM
combatpigg

I wonder if the control rods are still intact? All that needs to happen is for the threads inside a clevis to slip a few threads and an elevon plane will do exactly what you described.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Rudeboy

One of the control rods is broken.
However, my rods were not the stock setup. I used solid 5mm fibre glass rods with a piece of threaded rod glued into each end to attach a ball link.
It is the piece of threaded rod that snapped off at the servo side. Both pieces of threaded rod on that control rod were bent, one snapped, the other one at the elevon horn didn't.
The broken rod controls the left elevon.. the plane hit the ground with the left wing tip... the damage suggests that the control rod was destroyed upon impact.

Besides, the plane rolled to the left... I was just pulling up out of a dive... if the left elevon had failed at that moment, the plane would have rolled to the right.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Name:	Yw66512.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	323472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82409.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	323473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99060.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	323474  
Old 09-12-2005, 08:31 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's tough losing a new plane to radio failure. It happens to everyone sooner or later. We typically fault the airborne system, but I did have a bad pot in a transmitter once. Problems there can be hard to detect (it was on the rudder channel). One word solves the question

EBAY
Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 PM
combatpigg

The control rod set up that I trust most is a continuous length of wire that has a length of FG tube slid over it. I wonder if one of your rods LENGTHENED itself slightly, but not absolutely failed before the crash?. Not a bad idea to have the factory test the entire radio system. I've got a pile of questionable junk to mail in to "HIT-THE-DEK" and "FUBARA" myself.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
js3

I lost two airplanes to a bad elevator pot in a JR PCM 10 TX. The first was my Patriot and the other was an Ultra Sport. Sent it back to JR and they said "Yeah, bad ele pot." They fixed it but I never trusted the radio again.