Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

what servos, prop, ect for f-18 prop jet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

what servos, prop, ect for f-18 prop jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:22 AM
raptorhelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what servos, prop, ect for f-18 prop jet

I am building a f-18 puller prop jet(juno-rc). The quick specs are os91(heli-version) with 30% nitro, pipe, retracts, weight is around 9-10 pounds, 53 in wing and 59 long. I know that my helis work best with huge servos and tons of power. Do high speed planes need high power seros or dose the plane do most of the work. Would a 60-70oz servo be ok or do i need 90-110oz servos. This kit dose not not recommend flaperons. Are flaperons not need to to get this thing spinning or is it because of the forces that are put on the flaperons are to great to this kit to handle. I want to get the most out of this airplane so fiberglassing are reinforcing is no proplem for me i am willing to do what ever it takes. As far as props i want a speed machine that also climes strait up. I have heard that a 12x10 prop is a good choise but with the use of 30% fuel can i use different prop. My last question is what is the preformance(feel) difference between a pusher prop and a puller prop. I have never flown a pusher prop. Dose a pusher feel more jet like in the corners ect. If a pusher is more fun to fly i can easily make that change. thanks for the help everyone
Old 09-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what servos, prop, ect for f-18 prop jet

Prop Jets are about "RPM's. I run a 12/7apc on a Jett 90 in an Ultra Sport and a 9/7apc on a Jett .50. They scream right along real well.
Never really use flaperons at all. One important thing here is unlike other plane's, there is virtually no glide ration if the engine quits. When it does, its coming down "now" and you better be in the right airspace when it does. For the first few flights, keep it fairly high up until you can trust that engine.

Also if you are new to retracts. If you do have to land in the weed's, keep those retracts up and you will probably have minimal damge-if any at all. You land in the weeds with the gear down and it will rip out and thats the end of your wing. I use good servo's on all my planes, only for the elvator's and for the most part, use standard for everything else and never a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18832.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	328566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57714.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	328567