Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

which plain to get? so hard!

Old 09-26-2005, 08:23 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default which plain to get? so hard!

hey everyone my name is sean and im 15 .im having a really tough decision to make. my birthday is in october and i cant decide which plane to get. su-27 flanker or patriot. im really torn between the two. i have wanted to get a speed plane for a while now and i cant decide what to get. i wanted a patriot from great planes but i also want a su-27 flanker from akmodels. i really want to have a good looking plane but also i want it top be able to keep up with everyone at my field cause all they do is fly fast. everyone says that the flanker stalls alot and isnt a good plane but none of them have flown it. but they all like the patriot. also i want to build a kit over the winter too because i have never built one but there are many people who are willing to help me such as my dad and the president of my club. anyway what do u guys think. which of the two are better. and what are there chracteristics because i have never flown anyone of these so any help would be appreciated
Old 09-26-2005, 08:44 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: which plain to get? so hard!

plane ?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ya the kit
Old 09-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sean,

I do not think the Patriot is available anymore. Do you know where you can get one? I would just get a Diamond Dust and out run them all
Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

whats the website for a diamond dust
Old 09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the Patroit XL kit is on sale in my lastest tower monthly catalog 109.95

but to make it GO! a Dub Jett .90 is in order. $$$

then the retracts $$$
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 AM
evan-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First, are you capable of flying a fast airplane safely? What have you succesfully flown and landed? Do you want landing gear? Price range? Engine range? It's very easy to want to go fast but not that easy to do, even if it's for your birthday.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyboy101789

whats the website for a diamond dust
http://www.diamonddustrc.com/
Old 09-27-2005, 09:34 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flyboy,

First ... the flanker stalls alot ? Tell those folks to take a chill. Its a very good flying plane. Its a Jet model , and a semi-scale jet. So it takes a little skill and experience to fly, but has no real bad habits.

The Patriot .40 or Patriot XL would be my recommendation. You might have to look to the market place or some of the local hobby shops to find a .40 size Patriot. As noted, they are out of production. My recommendation here, is that these kits are quite complete, with a great-planes type photo assembly manual. And for the most part they are very straight-forward to build.

As Evan noted, your previous experience in both kit building and flying are important considerations. The Patriots fly more like quick pattern ships, and are pretty stable... do not bleed energy in the turns as much as the scale prop jets. In that respect, they may be a good choice for your first prop-jet type of plane.

The AKM kits are VERY good. The manual and CD are pretty good for instructions. However, due to some shapes and techniques needed to build them. If you have some building under your belt, then give one a try. You may want to look at the MIG29 kit AKM has. It is designed for fixed gear - just takes one expense/issue out of the equation. Blade and others here can direct you to build threads on that one.

Others to look at....
junorc.com
Now offers the old direct connection F-18 (60/90 size) and F-20 (40/50 size). If you some building experience, these are both very good aircraft. Straight forward kits, and both planes fly very well.

If you are just looking to go fast.... the diamond dust, lanier Shrike, or the weston Magnum are real sweet planes, and pleanty fast with just about any engine bolted to them. Again, if you have some flight time with any decent sport ship (ultrasport, kaos, ultrastick) these may be worth looking into.

The easiest of the bunch if you have some question on where to start - would be one of the Q-500 aircraft. My very first low wing plane, following a midwest sweetstick, was a spiecler quickiee 500. These racing planes are cheap, easy to build, strong, they slow down nicely to land, and very stable. Any engine from a .25 to a .46 up front and you have something that is both fast and fun to fly. Speed is just a matter of where you set your throttle. The Predator is out of production. The GP Viper ARF is not too bad for a sport ship - just not a very good ARF. The Sonic 500 ARF from Hobby People is ok. There are a few good kits out there. Some glass versions. I can get you some more info if you desire.

Bob
Old 09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i stated flyin last october and i can handle planes very well. i do 3d with my twist and i can hover and stuff so i do have expeierece and flight time under my belt but no kit building what so ever i can build an arf but so can everyone else. but as u were saying whats the fastest thing ive flown is a sig cougar with a super tiger 45 and a performance specialties tuned pipe on it and it hauld but im looking for more and something along the lines of a jet look. how does the f-20 fly from juno rc i came across it but didnt put much thought into it. i like the looks of the su-27 and thats why i chose it. plus its sometihng no one at my field has. also thanks for the advice and help.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:49 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do not think the Patriot is available anymore
Towerhobbies has the patriot kit. check it out...........[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=gpma0450&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go]Patriot Kit[/link]

I am shocked at the low cost. I might just get me one.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suggest you get a Kangke F20 and try that out and see if you like it instead of building a kit. These propjets don't fly like the others bubba. If you like it, then dive in head first later. Frankly if you think your as good as you say, then go for the Cermark, F-16. Darn nice looking plane.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 PM
RC-Captain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These propjets don't fly like the others bubba
The other what ?

As far as flying a prop jet , I would practice all aspects of flight on a sim, then I would get a plane with almost no glide ratio and practice flying that . No I would just jump into flying a prop jet from a trainer . You will be asking for trouble. But if I were you I would build one for the future it can't hurt. GL
Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think what Cyclic is trying to say, is that a propjet is a bit more work building a kit than your standard sport plane (4 star or Sig SE). They also have "different" flight characteristics and it would suck to crash something after investing all that time building. I agree, take a look at the propjet ARFs and decide if this is something you really want to invest a lot of time in.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:37 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rc fiend i am not coming from a trainer and thankis for all the help guys im still undecided as to what to do but thanksall
Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Flyboy, Go with the Cermark F-16 yea its an arf. Put the Jet 90 on it and have some fun. It looks great and flies even better.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeh, I think that is what I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to discourage the boy, just an easier way to check it all out before building and intense kit. You always should keep an eye on your plane but with a propjet, you darn well better keep an eye on it or its gone. Whatever the case, we have a bunch of guys that will steer you right.

ORIGINAL: daven

I think what Cyclic is trying to say, is that a propjet is a bit more work building a kit than your standard sport plane (4 star or Sig SE). They also have "different" flight characteristics and it would suck to crash something after investing all that time building. I agree, take a look at the propjet ARFs and decide if this is something you really want to invest a lot of time in.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
OfFrOaDfReAk22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cool thanks guys i think i figured out what im going to do
Old 05-15-2006, 08:52 AM
jshutic@nordson.com
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just started flying the Cermark F-16 propjet. The landing gear are fixed, as I couldn't get reliable operation with Cermark retracts. Using an OS 91 FX. Suprisingly easy to fly, top speed limited due to fixed gear. Lengthened nose gear strut 1" and using foam tires to fly off grass. Positive angle of attack on gear keeps prop clear, and eliminates excessive down force on nose gear prior to rotation. Control surface throws are per the manual. Modified fuselage/wings to use 1/4-20 nylon bolts thru fuselage sides at wing root (the newer version has this feature). I've already ordered another one with air powered retracts to kick things up a notch. My only other propjet experience was with a Lanier F-86. They make good lawn darts!!!! I was skeptical about the F-16 until I flew it, it's a real pleasure to fly. It might not be a turbine, but you can't be the price for the looks of this thing in the air.