Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

ITS ON !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:39 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ITS ON !!!!!

Guys, Need some help here. After the last cook out of the year...aided by some beer and bragging followed by some Jaw jacking .... we have a little contest in the works. Given the building season will come at any moment here in IL, this little deal is who can build the fastest, baddest "old school" pattern plane. To keep things on a level playing field. We agreed on a pair of Tiporares since we both have NIB kits. This will be pretty much an all out free for all with 5 rules. The plane must be a new built plane (sucks for me as I have a few built already). Any 60-61 2 stroke side exhaust engine can be used. Nothing bigger...nothing smaller, (might be able to agree on using a RE engine though, tuned pipes are allowed), any 10"or 11" props can be used, Airframe can not be altered. Last but not least is the plane will be required to perform a "pattern sequence" agreed upon by our 2 outsiders to prove the plane is worthy of its roots.....Pattern. There is already 2 other parties that agreed to judge us and hopefully provide a radar gun too.

So.... what I need is one screaming 60 sized, side exhaust engine that will run hard! The only 3 side exhaust engines I have that would be even close to snuff for this is a YS60FS and a older Rossi 60 or the old OS 60FSR . So I need to either get a new fire breather or get the inside scoop on how to tweak (or have someone do it) the above with some port work.

A little birdie told me that my comp. will be using a Novarossi 60 that had some work done on it. It is supposed to one hell of a motor. I never seen it pull a plane around so.... I do not know what I am against. Any input would be great.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ITS ON !!!!!

I can lend you a YS 60FR and pipe, BUT if you wanna tan soimeone's hide a Jett would be the ticket......like a 60 LX.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 PM
impactiq

Thanks for the offer. I am still trying to get the Rear exhaust engines allowed. I have a few YS60FRs, Webra 61Fs. Enya 60XLF-4s, rossi 60's ...... and some where around here a OPS 60 read head.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I bought a OPS 8 port 60 from a german speed freek who guaranteed 22K minimum! It has not seen a airframe yet as it is a rear carb unit that will require some special addaption during new construction. Am a great fan of the Sports Jett line of engines. Their 90L or X is lighter than the OPS and a very sweet running engine. Should kick the Rossie butt, dependant on the engine mods. The jett is more expensive than the others, but will keep on ticking for a long time and live if lean out too much. Be sure to discuss the best Jett equipment with Dub or Bob, there are some mods, pipe recommendations that will be worth wile. I have seen Supertiger and K&B hoped up engines that will stay up with Jett's for a short time, but after a few runs, they tend to come appart. If you don't have access to a world class hop up guy, go with the Jett. Much cheaper and better in the long run. The RE is a pure race engine that will no doubt kick the others rear, but if the other guy has a side and any moxie, he won't go for the RE, probably good for 4-6K. Lett the Jett people help you here, nothing like having the pros on your side!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:00 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a fun contest.

When it comes down to it, the prop selection and pipe setup will probably have more to do with your top end speed Good idea balancing the speed aspect of the event with a pattern sequence. Transition and idle will be just as important as the top end.

Jett does have a full size 'big block' .61 listed as a special order on the web site - cost the same as a SJ-90L - Dub has not built one in years. Was for special events which specified 10cc. I guess he can still build one if needed. The SJ-76 or SJ-90L fill its spot in the engine size range. The Jett 60LX is a "40" size engine - its powerful, and might keep up with a 'big block' .61 engine with a full pipe installed.... but in the Tipo, the lighter engine would require some very creative CG adjustments.

The Novarossi is a good engine. No doubt that is going to be fast.

The old YS 60 RE is mighty powerful. Has no quams turning 14,000 rpm - my old Aurora went like heck with the short pipe and a 11x7 on the front.

The old Rossi 60 RE I had in my EU1-A was a sweet engine. A few mods - High timed liner, installed a 9mm carb - 10.75x7.75 prop....... that was a screaming power plant Didnt idle extreamly well.... but it had great top end

The OS 61 pumper was good for 11.5K rpm with a 11x11 up front. That brushfire was not slow.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:26 PM
impactiq

It will be fun...win or loose. What do you guys think of the new Rossi 32r60 (60 short stroke)? I seen one fly. Looked like it screamed pretty good.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 PM
impactiq

Well.... it looks like the engine of choice here for me is going to be a YS60FS. No luck on getting rear exhaust engines in the mix. A very kind person gave me the "poop" on how to "Tweek" one of these that should spank the Novarossi.