Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Laser Arrow - Delta

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Laser Arrow - Delta

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:55 PM
ArthurD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Arrow - Delta

Anyone know anything about the Protech Laser Arrow?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Laser Arrow - Delta

Do a search within this forum, I know there are threads dedicated to the Arrow. I've seen one fly and was quite impressed. It was the plane that got me into deltas. Most people here will probably note that the chord is a bit thick, so it is not the fastest delta by any means. (that honor goes to the Diamond Dust-- only weighs 2-3 lbs and has a very thin chord).

Here's 2 pics of the Arrow:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13606.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	332668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28498.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	332669  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:51 AM
ArthurD

Thanks for the reply, and your Arrow is beautiful! Thanks for the fine pictures. I agree with your point of wing thickness and the fact the Arrow isn't as fast as the DD. For those of us who like ARF's the Arrow seems to be one of the few, if not only, already-built deltas aviable. I also fly the ModelTech Delta Flighter 90 which has a thick wing. It isn't extreamly fast although it is great fun to fly and flies very well.

Are there other deltas out there of the ARF varity? I'd love to find a good 40 - 50 size ARF delta.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:43 PM
cobratraxxas69

The Lanier Shrike .40 is going ARF. It's not a pure delta like the Arrow or Dust, but it's ready built.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDE2&P=7

I own a Shrike .40 (and also a Shrike .15) and love it! Defintely not as fast as the Dust (which I have several of) with the same given engine, but much easier to see the orientation of given the large vertical tail fins. There have been times when I've almost crashed the Dust, because it was hard to see which side was up when the plane was at a distance. With the big vertical fins, you don't have that issue with the Shrike. But admittedly the Dust looks a lot cooler on a low high-speed pass over the runway.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cobra,

HOW did you get it?

That was my plane, My buddy Gill built it with an OS .46 FX, I had the Rossi 45 RE and pipe. Never did fly it but had set up on my 9CA. But it was just too thick to go real fast so I sold it and a retired whiplash to a guy on the East coast.

It would be a great delta to fly before buying a Whiplash. With the current setup of separate elevator and two aileron servos you can get a high roll rate. Ailerons only need a Y cable. but if you have a computer Tx the run ailerons as "elevons" and theen mix elevator to and open AUX. and plug in the elevator servo in there with 3 elevator segments working for you you can get very tight loops.

bob revver #105

Name:	Tr50195.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	333609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88576.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	333610  
Old 10-03-2005, 11:15 PM
cobratraxxas69

C4F,

I was interested in buying it, but didn't. I just keep pictures of planes that I like.

-Mike
Old 10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
ArthurD

Thanks Cobra,

I placed an order for the ARF Shrike today although delivery will be in mid November.

Since you're familiar with that model, how do you think a Jett .50 will work out?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ArthurD

.......how do you think a Jett .50 will work out?
I had a Shrike with a SJ 50 and it was excellent. I liked the APC 9x8 but some like the 9x9. Just make sure you balance it per the instructions. The kit comes out nose heavy and it does not land/fly well that way. The standard Jett tuned muffler will probably hit the wing but an easy mod to the wing will fix that. The engine needs to be mounted as far back as possible to balance. I went to the Jett SS muffler that is a little shorter (more rpm) and it did not hit the wing.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
ArthurD

Mike,
Good advice. Mine will be an ARF, rather than a kit. I hate building when I could be flying, but many love building.
My Jett .50 has that red muffler that looks like a UltraThrust. Are you saying it will fit without cutting into the wing?
The Dubro vibration damping motor mount is a favorite, but that may add a little to how far forward the engine mounts. Maybe the battery pack can be located way to the back to balance.

How do you get that picture of your plane in the box next to your name?

Arthur
Old 10-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Crazy4Flight

Aurthur,

You may want to buy the backplate mount for your dubb Jett.
So you can get it close as possibe to the firewall. for balance purposes
I built a shrike 40 years ago OS .46FX stock muffler and later a tuned pipe
The battery was as far back in the fuse as it could go,
and I still had to add tail weight just ahead of the elevator

most arfs have their own motor mounts with the blind nuts installed
surgery may be required. good luck!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: cobratraxxas69

C4F,

I was interested in buying it, but didn't. I just keep pictures of planes that I like.

-Mike
Mike

the Pix did look a little familiar.

bob
Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
ArthurD

Crazy,
Diamond Dust is now in ARF! $149.95. Happened to go by their site and saw the price list and there it was. www.diamonddustrc.com.
That should made an eaiser decision. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:13 AM
cobratraxxas69

They had stopped selling the Diamond Dust ARF awhile back (even though they have kept it on their price list....a bit misleading).

I had called Jeff about it (maybe 8 months ago) and he said they had discontinued the ARF....but if they brought it back now, I would be thrilled.

I hear you about being too lazy (or too tired/busy to build)...I just wait for the plane I want to appear in the classifieds...

Dusts will appear there periodically.

-Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 11:03 AM
ArthurD

Ouch! And I already sent him the money. All my info came from his web site, so you are probably correct. He's in Archer, FL and I'm in Jacksonville, FL, so it can't get too far out of control if I need to get my money back!

Good idea about the classifieds.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ArthurD

Mike,
Good advice. Mine will be an ARF, rather than a kit. I hate building when I could be flying, but many love building.
My Jett .50 has that red muffler that looks like a UltraThrust. Are you saying it will fit without cutting into the wing?
The Dubro vibration damping motor mount is a favorite, but that may add a little to how far forward the engine mounts. Maybe the battery pack can be located way to the back to balance.

How do you get that picture of your plane in the box next to your name?

Arthur
The picture next to my name is called an avatar. You can add one under settings.

I am pretty sure the Dust is not availabel as an ARF any longer but it is an easy build. It does have more wow factor then a Shrike.

I did not have to cut into the wing of the Shrike but sand a dent into it. It was very close. The Dust pic shows the shorter SS Jett muffler. I extended the hatch on my Shrike so I could put the Battery in the very rear. I did not have to add weight to the tail.

Name:	Xv63559.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	334378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11890.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	334379  
Old 10-05-2005, 12:43 PM
cobratraxxas69

I'll defintely agree with Mike about the wow factor.....the Dust is much more exciting than the Shrike (10-20 MPH faster for a given engine and looks cooler flying too). But the Dust is also less forgiving, looks the same top and bottom from a distance (yes, I know you can change the color scheme between top and bottom), tends to track like an arrow wherever you point it and if that is to the ground, it gets there pretty darn quick.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Arthur,

The standard 40-50 size jett-stream muffler is straight. The SS version (higher rpm) has the extra bulge in the center of it, and is a bit shorter.

The SS muffler is an option on the SJ-46 and SJ-50. It comse standard on the SJ-60LX.

See Mike's photos.

Bob
Old 10-07-2005, 08:07 AM
ArthurD

You're right about the Diamond Dust. Talked to them yesterday and it's in kit form only; ARF is not available. That leaves used DD's and new Shrikes that Tower won't be shipping until next month. So, yesterday I ordered the .40 size Shrike from Tower. The Jett 50 will go on it.

Anyone have any suggestions about prop size, weight and balance, fuel tank, landing gear, etc.?