Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

wild hare, LR-1 pylon racer

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

wild hare, LR-1 pylon racer

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 PM
smitty9969
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wild hare, LR-1 pylon racer

Dont know exactly how fast but i raced a LR-1 with a o.s. 32 in it and it was no contest.. passed him just about everywhere on the course.. He now has one on the table with a .35 goin in..
Your going to need to beef up the firewall for the 35.. That 1/8 ply isnt goin to take the vibration from the Jett.. Put the battery as far back in tail as you can.. My c/g is around 2 1/2 and Im thinking of adding tail weight to help with the landings..
Old 10-15-2005, 02:01 AM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

ALL YOU SPEED FREAKS ARE NUTS!! me too

Well, I had been running the LR-1 with an OS 37SZH heli engine and apc 7x8 cut down from 8x8. It goes sorta fast but not really that fast. So when I thought about actually buying a Jett, I wanted a BIG boost in power so I went for the SJ 50.

rmenke, I wish I had ordered the Jett engine much sooner, but I had several freebie engines that I had to at least try and see if they would work out. I watched some of the guys practicing today for the race this weekend. Those Q40's are fast. I doubt the LR-1 can reach their speeds without a full blown race engine.

I watched the Q500's and some were very fast and some were slow, I suppose they are in different classes. I want the LR-1 to get to the speeds that the Q500 with the Nelson/Jett Quickie engines are running at. I know something might give when we push things hard but I gotta try. I'll try to keep the turns reasonably gentle.

I'll bring my F5D electric pylon racer to the field tomorrow and try to meet up with Travis (can't remember last name, he's one of the top racers and I think on the US race team, electric and gas I suppose).

Someday I might actually enter a race. Ha
Old 10-15-2005, 01:57 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

I don't have the LR-1, that was someone else. I do have the Jett 35, its been in a Krangke F3D which is something like a LR-1 but slower I think. Anyway this combo outruns all local sport engines on Q-500 airframes. Have a Jett 50 BSE on a composit Q-500 which gets outrun on occasion by a K & B 48 Screemer with a performance muffler. My little 35 kicks the Screemer's butt every time out buy a bunch on the F3D and a home brew airframe. We don't have a radar gun, so cant tell you speeds. The 35 is my favorite engine of any dispacement ever. Ever in my case is about 60 years in the hobby. When gone, they will have to pry the 35 out of my cold dead hands! Turns a apc 8.5 X 7.25 in the 19's and then gives you that wonderful unload in the air. It rules and lets you know it.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Airbike

Well, I brought the LR-1 to the field today and had some of the racers take a look at it. They all thought it was a good plane for the price and perfect for club racing. They had differing opinions on what motor to power it with. I told them I had a Sport Jett 50 coming for it and they said I'd need to change out the HS85MG elev servo to at least a HS225. The ail and rud would prob be ok with an HS85 on each surface.

I got a goodie box from Darrol Cady with bubbleless tank and some apc pylon props today but no engine yet from Florida.

Oh yeah, Fred from APC was also at the race today but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. I'll just start with the props that Dub suggested when I ordered my engine.

Most of the racers all seem to be pretty committed to the competition. I'll have to see if racing is on the horizon for me.

Lots of close calls and several crashes... pretty exciting.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
rmenke

Airbike:

Thanks for keeping me up todate. I will truly appreciate you keeping me posted with your build and flight. Never to old to learn and modify opinions. Some of us old guys are just a little more treacherous than others.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:38 AM
twitcher
My Feedback: (3)

Got one of the LR-1's and will install my OS .32 w/Performance Specialties exhaust. The engine is happy with the APC 8-8 prop, but have not tried to optimize it. Have to finish the plane. I read all of the messages but did not see anything about how well it flies. It's hard to believe anything larger than a .32 in a plane that has a 300 sq in wing. What was Wild Hare thinking about mounting the l/g foreward of the wing? The supplied l/g is realy ugly and must have been designed originally for a wakefield rubber plane. I am using the Prather 1/4 midget l/g and wheel pants, it does dress it up a bit.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:19 PM
rmenke

TWITCHER!!

Hay guy. You are the one we are watching and expecting a good full report out of with pictures? You need to get this done asap, we await with great anticipation. sTAY OFF THE COMPUTER AND WORK, WORK, WORK! Am loosing some interest as these little guys are getting hard for me to see during the race. Last club event, a much larger airframe gave me a very hard time. Could see my compitition well even though it was white, really had to concentrate to keep up with myu 40" span "Yellow Jacket". Think I will exolore a few larger airframes this winter for next spring races. Fellow Rv-Bros directed me to the new Cermark "Alley Cat", 63" span 40 to 60 engine. Mayu go well with a Jett 90L sitting in the shelves gathering dust. ENJOY Bro # 119
Old 11-06-2005, 12:18 AM
twitcher
My Feedback: (3)

RMENKE !!!!!!!!
Simple solution for the grey hair set that have racie little airplanes........revert BACK to the 1/4 midjet short course. Remember prior to the Nelson engine, only F1 raced the long course. Seemed like there was more fun and less ATTITUDES.
So put on the anti sun, skin cream and bug repellant and fly the short course Composite was something left in the toilet for all to see.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Airbike

OK, Got it all stuffed in.

LR-1 with Jett 50 and 8 oz BubbleJett tank.

AUW empty is 3 lb- 10 oz., That should be manageable (I flew my electric version at over 4 lbs) and get this, I didn't have to add any lead to balance. I just used a heavier 5 cell Rx batt in the tail and it balances the same as the OS .37 SZH & Macs muffler.

Now I need to test fly this little monster and play with props. I've ran the engine about 7 tanks on a test bench so far and I'll fly it first with a APC 7.2 x 8.0 pylon prop, turns about 21000 static, so I'll set it about 20400 or so and let her go!

New firewall is 1/4 ply set about 5/8" back from original location.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67098.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	349883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88604.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	349884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51051.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	349885  
Old 11-07-2005, 12:03 AM
MyWay

Nice setup. Are the rpm readings correct? Ive found that most 36 size engines with pipe timing can run apc 7.2x8.6 props 20,000 +.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Airbike

"Are the rpm readings correct?"

I'm not sure. My Cermark tach crapped out a while back and I have a Hangar 9 mini tach that seems to give readings all over the place, but the readings were steady if I hold the tach real close to the prop[:@]

The engine is new, I tried a 8.8 x 8.75 on the sixth tank and it only turned 19400 or so. I'll be trying an assortment of props when I get a chance to go fly.

and Twitcher, I think the LR-1 flies great. Very stable with CG at 2 1/2 to 2 5/8. I tend to fly pretty aggressively and so far it has not shown any bad traits. Rolling circles get really big in a hurry and the plane gets real small[X(] I guess I'll try to keep it in closer.

I did a bunch of inverted laps with negative G turns and there was no problems whatsoever. It seems to bobble a little when I fly really low but that may just be the bumpy air. You can fly it like a fast sport plane and slow it down for the landings as long as its not too heavy(4+ lbs)
Old 11-07-2005, 11:12 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Airbike-RCU

"Are the rpm readings correct?"

I'm not sure. My Cermark tach crapped out a while back and I have a Hangar 9 mini tach that seems to give readings all over the place, but the readings were steady if I hold the tach real close to the prop[:@]

The engine is new, I tried a 8.8 x 8.75 on the sixth tank and it only turned 19400 or so. I'll be trying an assortment of props when I get a chance to go fly.

and Twitcher, I think the LR-1 flies great. Very stable with CG at 2 1/2 to 2 5/8. I tend to fly pretty aggressively and so far it has not shown any bad traits. Rolling circles get really big in a hurry and the plane gets real small[X(] I guess I'll try to keep it in closer.

I did a bunch of inverted laps with negative G turns and there was no problems whatsoever. It seems to bobble a little when I fly really low but that may just be the bumpy air. You can fly it like a fast sport plane and slow it down for the landings as long as its not too heavy(4+ lbs)
Holy shoehorn batman !! You actually got one in there !! Wild ........ [8D]

You may want to use a bigger prop. The QM40 prop at that RPM is *****g out on the muffler tune range. That 19.4K you saw was ideal. Get the engine back down around 19,500 peak - 19,000 for launch. The 8.8x9.25 clipped down a bit works nicely for this type of installation. It will unload quite a bit in the air a really haul butt.

Bob
Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 PM
rmenke

YOU ARE THE MAN!

Congrats, did not think you could get a 50 in that thing based on my Krangke F3D where a 35 is max unless you cut the nose off at the firewall. Now we need a flight report, with field pics. I would expect a full out Q-500 will outrun the LR-1 on the course, but not by a whole lot. Your gonna need the racing version of the Jett to kick the Q-500s, but I think do-able. I have seen some strange things go fast through the years. Its a hoot to see two guys going head to head on the same general equipment, exchange equipment and the same guy still wins! Some have it, some still learning. ENJOY Bro # 119.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:53 PM
rmenke

AIRBIKE

Whats this, rolling circles, inverted laps? Was thinking to sneeking down to Walnut, Ca., not toooo far from me and see who is who there. Thought is now gone. No way am I even in the same park with someone that can do rolling circles and inverted laps with a racer. My foamy, OK. Oh well, will keep on working at it. Would you consider a heat race flyilng inverted? ENJOY Bro #119
Old 11-07-2005, 03:30 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: rmenke

I would expect a full out Q-500 will outrun the LR-1 on the course, but not by a whole lot. Your gonna need the racing version of the Jett to kick the Q-500s, but I think do-able.
What he has there in his Jett .50 with the black muffler is actually the same power as (perhaps slightly more powerful than) the racing 428 Q-500 .40 engine Its just easier to run, and it will throttle well.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
rmenke

BOB:

Do you also do rolling circles and inverted laps with your race planes?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredibly overpowered [X(][X(] ! Go for it, waiting for the vids / pix
Old 11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

YOU ARE THE MAN!

Congrats, did not think you could get a 50 in that thing based on my Krangke F3D where a 35 is max unless you cut the nose off at the firewall. Now we need a flight report, with field pics. I would expect a full out Q-500 will outrun the LR-1 on the course, but not by a whole lot. Your gonna need the racing version of the Jett to kick the Q-500s, but I think do-able. I have seen some strange things go fast through the years. Its a hoot to see two guys going head to head on the same general equipment, exchange equipment and the same guy still wins! Some have it, some still learning. ENJOY Bro # 119.

Not true,
You can stuff a 50 into the F3D without cutting the fuse off See....

Old 11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
bob27s

BOB:

Do you also do rolling circles and inverted laps with your race planes?
Yes...... both intentionally for just goofing around , and as some have witnessed, unintentionally during actual race conditions

Nothing quite like hitting some bad air going around pylon 2 to really wake you up!

Its not real fast rolling like that tough.

Once upon a time we had a club sport race, and we were required to fly at least half of the laps inverted. Made for some fun.[&:]
Old 11-07-2005, 04:33 PM
bob27s

Yeah... you can get a .40-.50 engine in the Kangke plane. It has been done a number of times. Just takes persistance and a big hammer.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58276.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	350291  
Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Airbike

Well, I'm excited about the test flight. Hopefully sometime this week.

Did I mention that I was very impressed with this engine? during break-in at 18000 +/-, then I pull the throttle to hear it idle like a kitten. VERY NICE.

I guess I'll find out if the airframe & my radio setup is up to it. Will report when I get a chance to fly.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM
rmenke

Bob:

That one belongs in Rippley's Did you ever get that little beasty to land without problems?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
bob27s

Bob:

That one belongs in Rippley's Did you ever get that little beasty to land without problems?
my buddy tells me it lands jsut fine....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3314097
Old 11-12-2005, 02:23 AM
Airbike

Test flight of the LR-1/Jett 50 combo went well today. It is very fast! How fast?--I have no idea. I was too busy keeping it in sight to estimate the speed. I need to find someone with a radar gun. Ended up using a 8.8 x 8.75 clipped to 7.8 dia. Engine was at about 19100 on the ground.

The turns seem to be ok so far, although I didn't pull any really hard turns.

The landing was very manageable. With a little flaperons, and up elev compensation, the plane slowed down very nicely and had no tendency to drop a tip. It was kind of strange to see it slow down from full bore to idle and just gliding around making circles for landing.

I had to go fly my hotliner to relax after that flight

I hope to get more flights in tomorrow (Sat). No pics today as the camera battery was kaput. I'll try tomorrow.

The glow version of the LR-1 is much easier to slow down than my electric version. I guess the engine & muffler hanging out there is quite a bit of drag.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and I used to believed it was overpowered with a webra .32

Congrats for managing this monster !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.