Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum Landing Gear Advice

Old 10-10-2005, 10:57 PM
jon_focal_plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Weston Magnum Landing Gear Advice

Am assembling a Weston 'non R by gosh' Magnum. I fly off a 300 foot asphalt runway. Overruns are mostly calichi (hardish clay with small rocks). Instructions show how to fit gear blocks into the wings. Was thinking I could use some quickee wheels and wire. Is it worth it? Are well placed skids a better option? Any thoughts from those who've done it?

Jonathan
Old 10-11-2005, 10:09 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Weston Magnum Landing Gear Advice

Jon,

I cant find the photos I have of this..... but here is a description of the best installation I have seen to date...

skip the wires/blocks.

Mount a set of Q-500 landing gear to the wing, just aft of the fwd wing hold down area.... axils end up located about 2.5-3.0" fwd of the CG.

The one I saw - the owner installed two 5/8 dia wood dowels up through the wing - drilled/tapped them - used 1/4-20 nylon bolts to attach the gear (somewhat conventional aluminum/comp gear install). He used some epoxy/balloons to form a stable mounting base (potted the gear to the wing/mount).

Go to lcsperformance.com and you can get a real nice set of carbon gear (2.5" height, not the 3") and a set of wheels. Not overly expensive.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:44 AM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jonathan,

I did the wheels like the instructions called for, and never had a problem. I'm sure Bob's way would be fine also. Your choice.....

I bought a set of "F3D" foam wheels from Kangke for the Magnum. Do make sure you get a good bond between the wheel blocks and foam if you go that route.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80360.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	337995  
Old 10-13-2005, 11:13 AM
jon_focal_plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,

I went to lcsperformance.com. They have two carbon fiber gears, both are 3 inch in height (LG15 and LG125). Did I miss something? Also, just curious why you don't recommend the block in wing method in the plans.

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lewis has the #15 3" tall HD grass gear with a somewhat fixed 2.5" axil placement and a bit over 8" spread and 1.5" wide --- and a shorter gear #125 for pavement or grass - has longer gear axil flats so you can set for as low as 2.25" axil distance - and it is a bit narrower wheel spread and is a bit narrower at 1.25" mounting. You would likely want the 125 type if you go that route.

The wing blocks and wires will work fine, if installed properly. Especially if you are on pavement. What is shown in the photo above is just fine for most purposes. You can use either slim wheels, or even poker-chip Q-500 wheels to keep the frontal area down.

Most folks tend to just cut a rectangle in the wing then glue blocks/plates into the wing - poorly - and after a while the gear blocks will rock themselves loose or tear out on a hard landing. I watched one last spring do that. What a mess. Again, if you do the install well... not a big problem.

The aluminum/carbon gear installation with the nylon bolts makes it easier to get the gear closer to the CG (the closer it is, the better the plane will take off and land), and if you mess up a landing, the bolts will sheer off and the gear will leave. Yes, some scraping and what not... but not a torn up wing. And the AL/CARB gear allow the use of the pizza-cutter type racing wheels... indestrucable, pretty low drag.

Sorta a personal choice. You may want to even look into bending your own aluminum gear to get the 'ride-height' the way you want it.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
jon_focal_plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,

Have you dealt with these folks at lcsperformance before? I sent a request for quote to their email address; no response. Seemed like that was the only way to contact them.

Jonathan
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 PM
hobbyncrafts

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jonathan,

I'm Ken of 'Hobbyncrafts'....I manufacture the CF gear for Lewis. (lcsperformance) I'm not looking to cut out Lewis, but if you have a specific size CF gear in mind, I do custom work. You can contact me direct at hobbyncrafts@yahoo.com
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 AM
jon_focal_plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken,

Having still not heard back from these folks, I'll be contacting you.

Jonathan
Old 10-17-2005, 09:14 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jon,

Yep.... very familiar with LCS....

Lewis may have been out of town over the weekend. His anniversary weekend I believe. I will check.

(Lewis was best man at both of my weddings....)

Bob