Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Cermark F16 Gear Choices

Old 10-15-2005, 10:14 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cermark F16 Gear Choices

Hi Guys,
I just got my Cermark F16 from the LHS. I'm trying to decide whether to use their upgraded metal mech gears or to consider the Robart 520 (economy series) air system. The stock mech gears including 3 retract servos come out at 13oz. The Robart with servo for air switch will be a tad over 16oz. Concern is that the heavier Robart nosegear may require even more lead in tail to balance this noseheavy bird. Anyone have experience with the Robart 520 setup in this bird. What about the durability of the stock mech gears?? Any input from anyone with lots of air time in this bird will be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cermark F16 Gear Choices

I dont have that Cermark but I do have others. I have very good success with all my mechanical retracts but if those struts are not 3/16, then you better replace them or they will always be bending. many mechanical come n1/8 and that is not enough width
Old 10-16-2005, 09:17 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have spring air with there struts on mine. The only problem I had was the 3-16 wire bending on the nose gear that holds the front strut on. I have just switched over to the 3-16 wire nose gear with a spring coil in it. I mainly fly off grass. I have many flights on this plane its a great plane!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:26 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just got mine assembled - haven't flown yet. I used the Cermark heavy duty (5mm) gear and they seem very sturdy. It took 6 1/4oz added to the tail to balance. I put the Throttle servo just behind the fuel tank. G.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:14 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've decided to go with the stock gears also. By the way, the tank is about 10" behind the carb position. Are you guys running pumps with the tank that far back??? I'm putting a Jett 90 up front.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One minor not on the Jett 90. You see that "nut" that holds the high speed needle valve in? Sometimes that can get a bit loose. What happens is you set it on the ground and it goes rich in the air. This was very aggravating. I went through this for about 10 flights. Then one day after I landed, i noticed the needle valve was not where I set it when i took off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83509.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	340705  
Old 10-18-2005, 07:48 PM
509thBoomer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went with spring air (I am TDY right now nd do not have the part number with me), but if you call the company and tell you the plane you have he will send you the correct ones. So far to date I have over 70 flights with ZERO gear issues. Cant go wong with them.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:03 PM
jimkinne

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just purchased my F-16 Kit and got the 5mm mechanical retracts. They look to be very solid. One problem though. The retracts did not come with wheel collars and the ones in the kit are too small. I have emailed Cermark but haven't heard back from them yet. I purchased some 7/32" wheel collars which are just a little too large, but will work in a pinch. I tried to find 5mm wheel collars on the web to no avail. Also, the front axle adapter was missing and they are sending me one. I am very excited about this model.

One other thing. They said that the spinner that comes with the kit is not very fuel proof and recommend spraying it with clear coat.
Jim Smith