Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

control rods/Dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 06:10 PM
fly-guy-ty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control rods/Dust

just finished my first Diamond Dust w/SJ 50 on it. What should I use for control rods. The tubing reinforcement method on the fins recommended for a plane this fast? 4-40 rods ok or should I use carbon rods? Will post some pics in a little bit. Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 09:59 PM
fly-guy-ty

Default RE: control rods/Dust

check it out. not too bad for my first covering job, I think anyway. still am going to put another strip of covering on the leading edge to cover up the bad job of trimming the bottom layer of ultracote. and to seal both layers from coming off in flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10766.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	339697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31794.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	339698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90856.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	339699  
Old 10-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I recommend you use good quality clear tape to seal the leading edge... it sticks way better than film on film, it will not come loose. I use Oracover (Ultracote) for covering, and it sticks really well on Oracover (when ironed on hot enough)... but that's nothing compared to the way good clear tape sticks to a properly degreased surface.

As for the control rods, I used solid 5mm fibreglass rods one my Dusts: heavier than carbon tubes, but way lighter and stiffer than the stock setup... and dead cheap, since I have a near unlimited stock of this stuff... I think I can build about 6000 Dusts before I run out... lol
I would NEVER use the supplied steel rods... the fact that they suggest you support those rods at this short a distance tells me something. I get this "warm fuzzy feeling" when I put a plane in at 150 mph and the control rods are still in one piece...
I even used this stuff once for landing gear legs on a funfly plane... and while it was not strong/stiff enough to take the abuse of loop touch and go's, it cracked but still allowed me to finish that event with a little care... pretty resilient stuff if you ask me...
Old 10-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I see you have the SS muffler. I really liked mine for planes like a Dust or Q-500. My favorite prop was a 9x8 that would let it turn up where it needed to be.

Rudeboy has some good suggestons but I did used 4-40 rods supported at the fin like they call for. It worked well on 2 Dust with well over 100 flights on it. I soldered one end and the other was threaded.

Clear tape is a must for field repairs and I used a wide strip down the center belly to help protect it.

You are going to enjoy this crazy fast overpowered plane. Just make sure it balances towards the rear of the CG limit. Even if you have to add tail weight.

Old 10-16-2005, 12:59 PM
fly-guy-ty

Thank you Rude Boy and Mike. Clear tape is a good idea, i've read that it work really well(impossible to remove) I have an extra set of Carbon rods from on of my whiplash planes that is unpowered and hanging on the wall at the moment but I don't want to dissassemble and modify them. Fiberglass rods? Hollow rods, glue threaded ends onto them with ball swivels? Mike, I modified my ailerons so I can launch myself and i was scepticle about using the 4-40 rods on mine supported on the fins because I was going to have to install the control horns so close to the edge of the ailerons. I think I would like to have them at least 1.5" from the inboard edge. Sound good? Where can I obtain fiberglass rods or carbon rods easliy, preferibly not from the mail. Not sure if my hobby shop has them, They are not open till Tues. Guess I can wait till then, wind has been blowing over 30 knots for the last week and a half and rain for a solid week! Beautiful Cape Cod weather!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:10 PM
fly-guy-ty

Rude boy, I did use Ultra Cote on this plane. First covering job for me. Usually an ARF guy, but I really liked building this dust! Pretty simple kit once you get the hang of it, Second one will be a breeze. I read many threads on the Diamond Dust and concluded that Ultra Cote won the majority of votes. Many people were happy with Mono Cote, I think Mike was one of them if i remember correctly, but I understand Ultra Cote is a little bit more user friendly so I opted for that.
Mike, I have used the 9-8 on this engine, right now I have the 8.8-8.75 on there. Only because I broke the last 9/8 trying to launch my whiplash last week! The pylon prop works nice as well, a little bit more money though.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:08 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Try a local kite store for carbon rods - if the hobby store does not have them.

Otherwise, go to darrolcady.com or centralhobbies.com Good carbon pushrods and rod ends are available.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 PM
fly-guy-ty

Wow, I maidened my DD yesterday! Unbelievable. Yes, fast, but easy to fly and control. What a difference over my Whiplash. I think my whip is way overweight though, too much paint! This diamond dust is for me. Even flies great slow. first flight I just flew around half throttle, maybe a little less, just to get a good feel for the plane and make sure everything is all good. Landed beautiful! Killed the engine about 100 feet out and 25ft. off the ground, plane glided right in and settled right in and floated to a stop on the short grass. Hugh releif, and a 180 degree difference from the maiden flight of the whiplash. Second flight I did a little slow speed handling checking the stall speed and stall tendency. I was even able to hang it! second half of that flight, I did some 3/4 throttle low passes to get used to high speed flight of this thing. Switched to high rates and did some unbelievable rolls. I cranked my high rates up to 3/4" throws on the aielerons! Tons of fun. Third flight of this thing I did some low WOT passes and really got the interest of my flying buddies. Two went home and ordered Diamond dusts! Or so they said they were. Jett 50 is sweet on this thing. I can see how one of these things could be just as much fun with a light .25 or a hot .32! Gonna need to order a backup, just in case!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: fly-guy-ty

Gonna need to order a backup, just in case!
Yep, just incase.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85507.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	343341  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Great to hear the first outting went well