Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

tuning info for 61 re YS

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

tuning info for 61 re YS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 AM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning info for 61 re YS

Hi everyone..just getting my new toy together, which is a whiplash extreme.. I was going to buy a jett 60lx fire , and still might but for now , after finding a YS 61 RE with tuned pipe on Ebarf have decided to try this combo... the price was to good to pass up as the jett would cost three times as much so it was worth getting to try out.. I can always sell it and get the jett60lx... but does any one have any expierence with this engine, I dont have a manual for it and I am wondering what prop suggestions for this combo.. I still have to tune in the pipe , the header is a brand new item and not cut down for anything specific yet ..so if theres any bros out there that can help I'd appreciate it!

cheers

I'll post some pic's when its all finished , the whip only arrived a few hours ago so I still have to deck it all out
Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: tuning info for 61 re YS

Take a look in the classic pattern forum. Or post in there. Some good info.

Is this a YS61 or YS60 ?? (square head long stroke or round head short stroke ?)

The two setups are vastly different.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:46 PM
HaveBlue

to answer your question Bob, its got a square head and embossed is 61-R, I'm not sure if this is the heli engine ST-2 but I doubt it
Old 10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The square head is a long stroke YS61R. An outstanding pattern engine 1990ish time frame.

It is designed to run around 10,000 - 11,000 rpm. Real long pipe setup - around 16.5" plug to fat point (18" to the reflector in a Hatori 650 if I recall?? ). Timing and porting are not good for much more rpm than that.

typically run with 12x10, 12x12, 13x10 props. It can definately make something go fast - and it stays quiet. Its all in the setup.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
HaveBlue

thanks Bob, I was wondering about the huge pipe as its a fair bit bigger than the pipe I have for the jett90l, although admittedly I thought it would be closer to 14,000 rpm range, I'll set it up for a trial run but I think I will be substituting it for the Jett 60lx a little down the track.. again thanks for your input